First post, Guild Background, Question

TBK711

Reaction score
Hi TK. Here's an older Guild D 55 listed on Reverb. (1976). It has some wear but certainly no more than you'd expect on a 40 year old guitar. Personally, I'm a big fan of older wood and I suspect it's opened up nicely by now. He's at $1900 but will accept offers so who knows what you could get it for. Also offers free shipping which is always a plus. It's apparently had a refret. I'd ask specifically about neck angle and saddle height if it's of any interest to you. I'd also ask if the case shown is the OHSC with the Guild badging.

Just trying to help you spend your money Bro.

https://reverb.com/item/13676925-guild-d55nt-1976-westerly-ri-original-owner

Wow. That one looks pretty great too. I’m not sure how I missed this one in my Reverb searching. Definitely a contender!!! Thanks for sharing it!

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Said this before, will say it again. The LTG family is the best! Always willing to bend over backwards to help.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
You are fortunate to have first played the best that Guild has to offer. There are more ornate, but none sound better. Mine is a Westerly that was for sale on eBay. People picked at it some much, I pulled the listing. All my Guilds were bought on eBay. If they have enough photos , if might be worth a try. Look for a low action.

TBK711

Reaction score
Thanks guys ... I really appreciate the help.

So, I am trying to decide between the Reverb 2014 NH D55 and the Carter Vintage 2010 NH D55. I haven’t spoken to either yet. But interested in opinions.

Reverb D55 - pros - looks basically new condition - even has original paperwork. I think I read here somewhere that the last NH’s were really good? Also, I can pay with PayPal which is preferred by me (small consideration). Strong seller ratings. Nice pictures that make my mouth water (carter vintage d55 fewer pics/doesn’t look quite as new).

Carter - pros - couple hundred bucks cheaper, DTAR pickup (I don’t know if these are they good?), seemingly very reputable store, referred to me in this thread, which is kind of cool.

Also Carters has a 2010 D40 for $1000 on sale. Never saw one in person; but would you say the D40 is like a D55 with less bling and mohogany back and sides vs Rosewood? Maybe I “need” that one too? Package deal for both maybe?

Mostly, interested in you guys helping me decide between the D55s. But I would like to hear about the D40 opinions too (also, I am seeing some 70s D25Ms in the 600-700 range that look intriguing. I’ve never played an all mahogany guitar; they seem to have a nice price point and I read reviews on them here and they sound pretty nice). Geez ... the GAS hits freaking hard!!!

(Complicating matters worse there is a Phiga Jerry Garcia Tiger replica on reverb that lowered its price by $500 today $3k. I drool over that guitar, but I have to keep reminding myself that 90% of my playing is accoustic so it doesn’t make sense ... besides Jerry played a Starfire too - now that I am connected with this bunch, that is where I should be focusing, right 😀. Gotta get my priorities straight!)

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
TBK, welcome aboard.

With the 2010 model, you need to find out whether it's the DTAR Wavelength with Load'n'Lock or whether it's the Multi-Source pickup. The Multi-Source is the best thing since sliced bread and it's worth jumping on! Wavelength is/was good, but not in the same league.

New Hartford guitars were terrific. You can't go wrong with either.

You should play the D-40 too. Completely different sound, but very wonderful guitars.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
My 1st guitar was a 1968 D-40. Bought it well used in '76 for 50 bucks at a little guitar shop and it stayed with me until about 5 years ago. Wish I never sold it!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've got two of them including a pretty beat up and oft repaired '73 model from Westerly. It is one of my faves regardless of price point.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I read here somewhere that the last NH’s were really good?
Forgot to "clarify" this last week, in case it's still useful:
I think it's more a case of some folks ""staying on the fence" about NH while it was getting up to speed for the first couple of years, and a scarcity of new owner feedback since most members already had guitars they loved and were shopping used when they were shopping.
Oh yes there was also some griping about the difficulty of finding 'em on a shelf in a store to actually test drive.
So it just took a while for the feedback to hit "critical mass".
I only ever remember a debate about whether the saddles were too low on some early models, it generated a lengthy discussion about whether they really were "too low" or it was just a result of new design philosophy including taller bridges.
Anyway, the overwhelming feedback across the entire production period ended up being positive-to-ecstatic.
:friendly_wink:

TBK711

Reaction score
Thanks. Definitely still useful.

I made an offer on that reverb NH D55, but he didn't accept. It was a good offer, but he isn't budging. I am going to leave town for a couple weeks, so it isn't the time to have a guitar shipped to the house. But if it is still there, when I get back, maybe I will go full list price on it. It does still seem like a good price relative to what I am finding.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Of course, if you sell the Taylor, that will give you that much more cash for that D-55 - and I do see a couple on Reverb.com for under $2k . . . .

Welcome, LTG! May your Guild fever never abate. Dollar for dollar, US-made Guild acoustics are the best bang for the buck around - a much better buy than any other brand.

And you're not really that far from New York, Baltimore, or D.C., if you want to play before you buy. How about spending a couple of Saturdays sampling wares?

Last edited: