Surprised There Was No Chatter About This One

Reaction score
Now, that is a pretty cool story. Old Gloppy is being used as he should be.

And another of Neal's "rescues" is happy and gigging!

Neal found this F50R on reverb.
The original owner "customized it", had it for a few years, then passed on. His son decided to put it on reverb.
Here's what it looked like when Neal found it:

1UtJwWn.jpg

Iov591A.jpg

Then he acquired it fixed it up:

1nxCvIC.jpg

Not long after that he sold it, but the buyer wanted to return it...and in sending it back it got lost (more like stolen), then in limbo, then finally returned and then finally sold to me! (Long story, documented elsewhere here on LTG , at that time I called it "The Wayfaring F50")

Then, while I was happily gigging with it, I ended up doing a show with Kris Kristofferson, and he signed it. Now I call it "The Kristofferson":

Qpg8B2i.jpg

UAoJFkM.jpg

There are lots of great stories that go with lots of great guitars out there.
The cool thing about LTG is, sometimes you can see the path they are on...like "Gloppy" and "Kristofferson".
Much like classic cars and real estate, we don't actually "own" these guitars, we are just stewards of them while they are in our possession.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny you should mention Gloppy, Al.

if you recall, after freeing that D-35 from its spray poly tomb, I ended up giving it to a young talented player I met at an open mic about two years ago.

Last weekend, I played at a music festival nearby. Several sets later, that young player took the stage. In his hand was good old Gloppy, alive, well and sounding great!

Awesome story Neal!

Neal

Reaction score
And we haven't even touched on the sad condition in which I found "Tonya", my godforsaken F-20. Broken headstock, probably 15 cracks in the top, two screws in the back to address a loose brace, some bondo and putty over cracks.

Neal

Reaction score
Thanks.

My search for guitar perfection has taught me a couple of valuable lessons:

1. Perfect does not exist.

2. Near perfection means different things to different people.

3. The most important aspects of any guitar for me are (in order) tone, playability, and looks/condition.

4. Ironically, remarkable tone can be found for way less money than can remarkable condition.

5. I like tonal characteristics that only come from guitars that have some age on them. I am no longer interested in "modern" guitars.

Neal

Reaction score
It finally got here today, all the way from Washington State to Virginia.

This guitar is actually in WAY better shape than depicted. I can barely see the aforementioned weather-checking that appeared to be so prominent in the ad photos. The guitar is actually in remarkably good shape. After 35 years, there is only one ding of note on the top (lower bout), no cracks, very little in the way of pick rash (just a little around the treble side of the soundhole). The back and sides are in perfect shape and have some nice flame to the maple. Bindings and headstock are all in great shape.

Neck angle is a little shallow, but even with medium strings on it, the action is super low, probably too low for my heavy-handed style. I will probably order a new compensated saddle from Guild to raise the action a bit.

The tone is warmer than most maple guitars I have owned. This sucker weighs a ton! Literally the heaviest flattop acoustic I have ever held in my hands,. But it has a lot of power and sustain, especially with new strings on it.

Looks like a keeper.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations, again snd Maple Guilds are wonderful guitars-love their sound.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Way to go Neal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a really fine thing when what you receive exceeds your expectations and is even better than described. It's happened to me as well but I wish it would happen more often.

Congrats!!!!!

Neal

Reaction score
So, I have spent some time with the F-50 since it arrived, and dollar-for-dollar, it is the best guitar I own (with a serious nod to my $500 D-25 flat-back, of course).

It will go toe-to-toe with my '60 D-18 and '49 J-50, flagship models from Martin and Gibson. It probably weighs as much as the two other guitars put together, but it has power, volume and sustain that easily matches them. It is a "wetter", brighter guitar compared to the dry fundamental tones of the D-18 and J-45, which is certainly a function of differences in age, size, shape and tonewood, but also is a function of the prototypical "Guild tone" (brighter, more balanced).

The F-50 is the best pure strummer of the three, while the D-18 is a flatpicker's dream and the J-50 is a great all-rounder, and particularly nice when fingerpicked.

So, there you have it. IMO, three awesome tones from three iconic guitars, each uniquely useful.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, I have spent some time with the F-50 since it arrived, and dollar-for-dollar, it is the best guitar I own (with a serious nod to my $500 D-25 flat-back, of course).

It will go toe-to-toe with my '60 D-18 and '49 J-50, flagship models from Martin and Gibson. It probably weighs as much as the two other guitars put together, but it has power, volume and sustain that easily matches them. It is a "wetter", brighter guitar compared to the dry fundamental tones of the D-18 and J-45, which is certainly a function of differences in age, size, shape and tonewood, but also is a function of the prototypical "Guild tone" (brighter, more balanced).

The F-50 is the best pure strummer of the three, while the D-18 is a flatpicker's dream and the J-50 is a great all-rounder, and particularly nice when fingerpicked.

So, there you have it. IMO, three awesome tones from three iconic guitars, each uniquely useful.

Dang I need to visit again !! Lol Run Neal Run a Way !!! Lmao

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Neal, that's super good news. Don't know what I was carrying on about in my first post..... I was probably intoxicated. These days I'm always numbing some pain. It's funny when you know what certain guitars excel at. But people will come into my house and say, "Lordy, why would you need more than one?" I laugh and say, "It's a long story...."

Congrats, sounds like a good one!! :encouragement:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Lordy, why would you need more than one?"

I did for like 35 years. Then someones remark about guitar tone lead me to guitar forums. The rest is a sad tale of research, learning, hunting, buying, playing and then...a good review or nice YouTube clip, and it begins again. You must all know what we say when you think about it.

I would be better off spending my time with lessons and playing than staring at my computer screen, LOOKING for the guitar to make me sound better.

Neal

Reaction score
I did for like 35 years. Then someones remark about guitar tone lead me to guitar forums. The rest is a sad tale of research, learning, hunting, buying, playing and then...a good review or nice YouTube clip, and it begins again. You must all know what we say when you think about it.

I would be better off spending my time with lessons and playing than staring at my computer screen, LOOKING for the guitar to make me sound better.

I agree to a certain extent, John. But my search for guitar perfection has improved my understanding of guitars that work for me, which means that I look forward to playing them every day, write more songs on them, and get better as a performer.