New SF-XII Is Here

DrumBob

Reaction score
Guild just sent me a cherry red SF-XII for review in an upcoming issue of Vintage Guitar, and so far, so good. I like the nice wide neck. The playability is quite good and the intonation is solid, workmanship seems flawless, no complaints. I have yet to plug it in. Maybe tomorrow night.

I always have the option to buy these review guitars from Guild. Will it stay or go back? Not sure yet. Stay tuned. I did tell my contact there that I thought their demo video was not representative of the guitar's better qualities.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention the nice wide neck, Guild lists it as 1-11/16" nut width which is standard for a 6 string acoustic. Is it wider than that? I understand if you can't answer that question until the review comes out but that was the major sticking point for me losing interest was the narrow spec of 1-11/16" on an electric 12. I know they were like that in the past but I was hoping for at least 1-3/4" nut width if not more. Thanks and good luck on your review!

TX

Mark WW

Reaction score
1-11/16" is no meat on the bonz! Hope that spec is wrong and it is 1-3/4" cause then I would be interested.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
If the nut width is the same as my T-bird's, 1-23/32" despite the official 1-11/16", it just might make everyone happy.

Or no-one. :)

-Dave-

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If the nut width is the same as my T-bird's, 1-23/32" despite the official 1-11/16", it just might make everyone happy.

Or no-one. :)

-Dave-

That would work for me! Same as my New Hartford 6 string Acoustics even though they were listed at 1-11/16".

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My NS S200 was 1 11/16" on the nose. I now have two T-Bird STs, but i haven't measured them yet.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am continually astounded that you guys can tell/feel a 1/16" difference in nut width. (1-3/4" minus 1-11/16".) Spread over the six strings that's .0125"! A sheet of paper is about .004" so that's a little over 3 sheets of paper difference between strings!(Or a "B" string!)

You guys must have micrometers for fingers! I guess I'm a Caveman because I can barely tell the difference between gauges of strings! Then again I've been playing the bass for a lot of years so maybe I have lost my guitar calibration.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am continually astounded that you guys can tell/feel a 1/16" difference in nut width. (1-3/4" minus 1-11/16".) Spread over the six strings that's .0125"! A sheet of paper is about .004" so that's a little over 3 sheets of paper difference between strings!(Or a "B" string!)

You guys must have micrometers for fingers! I guess I'm a Caveman because I can barely tell the difference between gauges of strings! Then again I've been playing the bass for a lot of years so maybe I have lost my guitar calibration.

You nailed it !!! As long the neck is straight and intonation is good - there is nothing that I can bicker about with my measle playing skills . . .

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Saw Gov't Mule over the weekend and Warren H played a 12-string Les Paul on two songs and it sounded fantastic. Got me thinking about 12-string electrics again. Hate tuning them but it isn't like the old days when you had to blow on a reed or tune against a piano!
M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

For me on a 6 string it really isn't that big of a deal but when you start squeezing 12 strings into the same space it gets a wee bit cramped. I have 6 string electrics that range from 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" and I can play most of them comfortably. Also you have to figure in I have had 10 Surgeries on my Fretting arm with number 11 coming up in less than 2 weeks. You would be surprised how much of a difference that 1/16" makes as well as the shape of the neck in regards to playing comfortably or not being able to play at all when you have some nerve issues from all the surgeries in your fretting hand.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can play anything, but I greatly prefer a wider neck, and I notice the difference right away. I'm also the kind of person that can't function if my socks aren't oriented properly, so there's that. My wife could sit in the car for three hours and discover that she'd been sitting on a shoe for the last 200 miles. Everyone has different tolerances.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Funny-lost-dog-picture.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
:chuncky: (FWIW this emoticon is called "chuncky.")

I'm not picky about nut/neck width myself, but I did measure the T-bird's 'cuz at the time folks were curious about it.

I recently picked up another ES-350T. Years ago I owned one (Chuck Berry!), and eventually sold it 'cuz I found the short scale hard to adjust to in amongst playing mostly a pair of Teles. But now my range of instruments is a lot broader and so I adjust quicker and easier. Anyway the 350T has a 1-5/8" nut width and a neck that stays pretty narrow as you move up the fretboard. This does feel weird for a minute or two…but it also makes playing "stretchy" chords easier.

-Dave-

Last edited:

DrumBob

Reaction score
The nut is 1 3/4". The neck feels great, regardless of the nut width. I wanted to take it on my gig Sunday, but figured it would be best to get better acquainted with the guitar before attempting to work with it on a gig. I was also hesitant to take it out as not to damage it, as it's a loaner, and the folks at Cordoba have been very, very good to me. More to come.