New SF-XII Is Here

dbirchett

Reaction score
Any idea when this review will be published? I would particularly like to hear about a comparison with other SPG-made 12 strings such as the D'Angelico and/or the Gretsch Electromatic 12.

Mark WW

Reaction score
The nut is 1 3/4". The neck feels great, regardless of the nut width. I wanted to take it on my gig Sunday, but figured it would be best to get better acquainted with the guitar before attempting to work with it on a gig. I was also hesitant to take it out as not to damage it, as it's a loaner, and the folks at Cordoba have been very, very good to me. More to come.

Not to beat a dead horse but have you discussed the nut width discrepancy with Guild. Despite some of the poo pooers here that can not grasp the need for a little bit more real estate around the nuttage some of us really struggle with that (thin or narrow) dimension and would probably be willing to go from lookers to buyers but we have no recourse if the "official" specs are 1-11/16" at the nut. And Bob I realize you are not responsible for this spec but any clarification you could add to this would be very beneficial. Thanks.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mark, nut width is not an arguable component. Everyone’s hands are different. Some of us prefer a smaller nut width, some of you prefer a wider width. There is no universal right or wrong. It is a personal, anatomical, preference.

Mark WW

Reaction score
No argument just an observation. If I had an argument it would be with the manufacturer for improperly stating (or not at all) the nut width or thickness at the first fret. Maybe using the decriptor "poo pooers" was a wee bit strong so simply note my overly sensitive nature regarding nut width and we can all move on with our preferences.

DThomasC

Reaction score
I don't think Mark was saying that necks should all be wider from now on, only that manufacturers should reliably make them whatever width they list in their specs, or reliably report in their specs what width they're making them, or something like that. That way, people that want 1 3/4" will know which guitars to look at for purchase.

That might not even be possible, depending on how much hand work goes into shaping and sanding the neck.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I don't think Mark was saying that necks should all be wider from now on, only that manufacturers should reliably make them whatever width they list in their specs, or reliably report in their specs what width they're making them, or something like that. That way, people that want 1 3/4" will know which guitars to look at for purchase.

That might not even be possible, depending on how much hand work goes into shaping and sanding the neck.

Yes thank you. I had/have a theory that all the little rocker dudes from the 60's with their itty butty fingers and hands influenced the manufacturers to make these thin narrow necks. If that is not plausible then why are 50's necks quite often held up as the baseball bat standard. I started playing on a baseball bat with strings so...

I believe that I and others of this ilk are in the minority (the majority drives the market not us) and we won't be seeing any baseball bat profiles in any quantities anytime soon. Heck PRS calls their biggest necks wide and fat (now it is Regular Profile) but it is only 1-11/16" at the nut. That is normal not wide for me. I have an Easftman with a 1-3/4" nut width and that might be considered wide but it is not real fat.

Anyhow I apologize. Don't want to detract from the OP's review with my fat finger issues!

Mark WW

Reaction score
I asked (email) Guild what the nut width was on the new SF 12's and here is their response.

Hi Mark!

No problem. The Starfire 12-Strings have a 1 11/16" nut width.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Sales & Customer Service Associate
Cordoba Music Group

DrumBob

Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify something. I wrote my VG review and sent it to Naomi Con at Cordoba for vetting, and she pointed out to me that the SF-XII is actually called the Starfire IV ST-12. I think most of us remember that guitar from years ago being called the SF-XII, but they've renamed it. Why they did that, I have no clue, but that's the reality. It's a positive review, but shorter than I would have liked, as my word count was limited to 325.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to clarify something. I wrote my VG review and sent it to Naomi Con at Cordoba for vetting, and she pointed out to me that the SF-XII is actually called the Starfire IV ST-12. I think most of us remember that guitar from years ago being called the SF-XII, but they've renamed it. Why they did that, I have no clue, but that's the reality. It's a positive review, but shorter than I would have liked, as my word count was limited to 325.
That caught my attention, and I bet it's because they needed to differentiate between the Harp/Guildsby and the Stopbar Tailpiece models.
They do acknowledge the Harp tail on the original SF-XII when describing the new tailpiece:
"Instead of a harp tailpiece as seen on the first Guild electric 12-string (the Starfire XII made from ’66-’74), this modern version has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stopbar tailpiece for increased sustain and stability, imperative for keeping those extra strings in tune."
Seems to carry through on the other models, too.
All the "ST" 's have a stopbar.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Any idea when this review will be published? I would particularly like to hear about a comparison with other SPG-made 12 strings such as the D'Angelico and/or the Gretsch Electromatic 12.

I believe it's going in the December issue, which hits in mid-October. We're always working months ahead.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wrote my VG review and sent it to Naomi Con at Cordoba for vetting, and she pointed out to me that the SF-XII is actually called the Starfire IV ST-12.
Actually the Guild webpage calls it on the overview page different as "Starfire IV-12 ST" however the actualy site calls it IV ST-12 ! So it looks like they are confused as well!

c4G7jOf.jpg

https://guildguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/newark-st-collection/

https://guildguitars.com/g/starfire-iv-st-12-in-cherry/

Now that makes both no sense to me... The normal "Starfire IV" and the "Starfire IV ST" make sense, but why didn't they name it "Starfire XII ST" which would have matched the historical naming much better?

Ralf

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually the Guild webpage calls it on the overview page different as "Starfire IV-12 ST" however the actualy site calls it IV ST-12 ! So it looks like they are confused as well!

https://guildguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/newark-st-collection/

https://guildguitars.com/g/starfire-iv-st-12-in-cherry/

Now that makes both no sense to me... The normal "Starfire IV" and the "Starfire IV ST" make sense, but why didn't they name it "Starfire XII ST" which would have matched the historical naming much better?

Ralf
Insert rant on Cordoba’s senseless renaming policy here.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
My son asked me and I don't have an answer, as I have only seen black/white photos...what color was the piece they gifted to John Lennon? Is that guitar in a collection somewhere now, like the RRHF or one of the HRC's?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My son asked me and I don't have an answer, as I have only seen black/white photos...what color was the piece they gifted to John Lennon? Is that guitar in a collection somewhere now, like the RRHF or one of the HRC's?

I don't remember for sure but I think it's Cherry, (color pic in Hans' book or false memory?), and I believe it's in one of the Hard Rock Cafés.
Ah, here we go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCiufG6rW4w