Novak EB-BSx2 (bisonic humbucker)

mellowgerman

Reaction score
http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/EB-BSx2.shtml

Just saw this intriguing new pickup from Curtis the other day when I was ordering the matched set of Bisonics for my Starfire.
This one unfortunately is only available in the "Mudbucker" format/look. Traditional "Mudbuckers" do fit in Bisonic cavities, but I don't believe the screw holes line up. Still, the tonal possibilities of this one get me pretty excited. As stated on Mr. Novak's site, you could go series, parallel, or single coil, BUT you could also select between the two coils which would result in what looks to be at least an inch of pickup-pole placement variation. We've discussed flipping traditional Bisonics around 180degrees a few times for this same reason and I feel like it could be neat to have that option at the flick of a switch... though perhaps the difference wouldn't be as dramatic with the extra set of adjustable poles in the middle?

Lastly, I wonder just HOW close the single coil mode will sound to a traditional Bisonic. I'm sure it will be close, as I've never found any of Novak's descriptions to be misleading, but it seems to me that a pickup's physical form and dimensions have just as much an affect on tone as the type of magnets and gauge of wire used. What do you guys think?

Hopefully there will be some good sound recordings of one of these popping up sometime soon! There is only one demo that I've been able to find of the single-coil Bisonic-inspired Mudbucker Curtis makes, but the recording itself is not very good, being through an amp, in an open room, with a single room-mic (potentially just a standard on-board phone or camera mic). Of course it's better than nothing and it's nice to hear some of the owners opinions and points, but it doesn't tell me a whole lot about the pickup's actual tone.

Anywho, I'd be stoked to try one of these out and maybe that will be a future experiment of some sort (though not on my 1970 SFB, which I like with the look and sound of two standard Bisonics).

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Too many choices. I broke out into a sweat worrying about the extra switch I would have to learn to use if I got my (single) BSDS with a coil tap. I managed it and stand by my choice but tone, volume and toggle sure seem like a lot of controls and possibilities to me :)

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Frono, I shared your reaction.

Though, like you, I sort of remember what's where on my JS-II knob array.

That said, I'm sure that our Mellowest One will figure out how get the most of the creation.

Endorsement deal????

katthestar

Reaction score
I kind of like this idea. I'm tempted to order them since the 68 M-85 II has so many holes. I'm thinking of just using switches for the extra holes, so it's going to have 2 extra switches. I'll have to look into this. Right now it's going to be an HB1 and a Hagstrom BiSonic.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think Novak made a Bisonic Humbucker to fit in Oteil Burbrige’s 6 string Modulus that he uses with Dead and Company and Oteil was doing back flips when he got the bass back

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
so if u want to hear aound clips just listen to Dead and Co shows from 2017 and 2018. there is also the band Oteil and friends who I saw at Brooklyn Bown and they are coming back out for new years shows. the show I saw was all kinds of Epic

bassman10096

Reaction score
I think Novak made a Bisonic Humbucker to fit in Oteil Burbrige’s 6 string Modulus that he uses with Dead and Company and Oteil was doing back flips when he got the bass back
Got any more info on Oteil’s Bisonic Modulus? I just put together a 4 string parts P bass with a Status graphite neck, a P pu and a MM pu. Not too wild about the P pickup. Wouldn’t take mic to rerout for one of these guys. I saw Dead & Co this summer and loved O’s Modulus sound.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw Dead & Co this summer and loved O’s Modulus sound.

that was the Novak Bisonic bucker for sure. Sorry I don’t have any other real info about his bass, other than the fact that he likes to use psychedelics while playing it. (its like an allman brothers song...it never ends!) he *really* likes the Novak pickup.

also check out Oteil & Friends. they kick major ***

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Anyway, here's a subtle thread hijack.

Recently I've not played out a lot. But been really lucky enough to play on an original CD project - where the studio producer/engineer declared that my Bisonic, hollow body M-85 was the best bass he has ever recorded

Last weekend I played two shows with the cover band I resigned from three years ago.

Mr Redundancy here, of course, brought two basses.

I strapped on the M-85 for the first set on Friday night and it sounded SO WONDERFUL through my light weight rig (Genz Benz Streamliner 900 into two custom built 1x12" cabs.

For the rest if the weekend it was my legendary totally modded DarkStarred JS-II. Damn beautiful as well.

It sounded so beautiful !!
Just a reminder of how good these Guild basses and pick ups were and still are.

Last edited: