So what do you think Guild will bring out next (archtop/electric)?

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
I could embrace a small body short scale 12 strang.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The DeArmond brand now belongs to Cordoba too, and I've been told DeArmond pickups are next. I hope they do a good job with them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The DeArmond brand now belongs to Cordoba too, and I've been told DeArmond pickups are next. I hope they do a good job with them.

utah.prairie.dog2-USFWS--UTAH%27S-HOGLE-ZOO-educational-use-only.jpg

Y'don't say?

(With apologies to the forum's other mascot)

dbirchett

Reaction score
That's surprising because Fender didn't acquire DeArmond with Guild, they were acquired separately and really only united with the short-lived DeArmond guitars. With all of the DeArmond Dynasonci equipped Gretsches I am surprised that they would give up the branding. Maybe they sold the DeArmond name but kept Dynasonic. Interesting.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's surprising because Fender didn't acquire DeArmond with Guild, they were acquired separately and really only united with the short-lived DeArmond guitars. With all of the DeArmond Dynasonci equipped Gretsches I am surprised that they would give up the branding. Maybe they sold the DeArmond name but kept Dynasonic. Interesting.

"Dynasonic" is what Gretsch named those pickups in catalogs and publicity, under the DeArmond brand name they were always called the 2000 model (not to be confused with the later incarnation of that pickup moniker under FMIC...)

Guild's been making some DeArmond reissues already and sell them, the floating Jazz guitar pickups, and there's the cheap-ish magnetic acoustic guitar pickup they sell too, also under the "DeArmond" brand name. That acoustic one is not a reissue of anything btw.

Notice btw that the current Gretsch company still calls those pickups "dynasonics" in all their literature, and not "dearmond".

I have to say that I think it's exciting - I could live with a Newark Street Duane Eddy reissue (even if they can't call it that), or Starfires or X175's with DeArmonds!

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
<veer>

CMG definitely owns the DeArmond Name and it looks like they are and will be offering pickups. http://cordobamusicgroup.com/brands/dearmond

Wikipedia about Henry DeArmond https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_DeArmond says
Around 1998, Fender had acquired various properties, including Guild Guitars and the DeArmond name. Fender launched a line of import Guild guitars in Korea and Indonesia under the DeArmond brand. The better Korean guitars had Dynasonic-style pickups also branded as DeArmond, and made in the United States, but there was no tangible connection to Rowe Industries or Harry DeArmond.

I wonder if CMG has acquired some intellectual property from Rowe Industries and thus reunited some products with the DeArmond name?

I could not track down all the corporate changes but Toledo, Ohio seems to be the place were "real" DeArmond pickups were made and Cordoba Music Group was once Tornavoz Music.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I don't think there's a market for those quite yet, do you? I don't see a resurgence of '80s guitars like that, but the older styles are "retro", "quirky", and cool. I'd venture it's only a matter of time (I'm seeing some '80s fashion pop up) and maybe Guild will lead the way.

It's been 30+ years since we saw Guild's pointy guitars. Maybe that's enough time for those designs to become desirable again. Maybe not. I don't see any resurgence of Big Hair bands at this moment, in fact, all I see online is the sometimes deserved derision those bands get from guys like me who thought the who Big Hair era was a joke.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's been 30+ years since we saw Guild's pointy guitars. Maybe that's enough time for those designs to become desirable again. Maybe not. I don't see any resurgence of Big Hair bands at this moment, in fact, all I see online is the sometimes deserved derision those bands get from guys like me who thought the who Big Hair era was a joke.
The smart money'll buy these puppies now while they're at the bottom of the curve.
And hope they live long enough to cash in.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was 2 1/2 years ago, Ralf. I am not holding my breath.
How about that one from August 24, 2018 ?

https://guildguitars.com/akustik-gitarre-interviews-guild-president-jon-thomas/

"AG: Do you think Guild will bring out new designs again?
JT: We would like to introduce our own designs, and we would also like to bring the production of some of the electric guitars to Oxnard. But first of all we have to tackle our backorders… For this year, our plan is to catch up with those and build the instruments that guitarists have been waiting for. After that we can take care of new models; we have lots of cool ideas!
"

Ralf

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool Ralf, sounds like Guild brand is here to stay a whole longer for sure!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about that one from August 24, 2018 ?

https://guildguitars.com/akustik-gitarre-interviews-guild-president-jon-thomas/

"AG: Do you think Guild will bring out new designs again?
JT: We would like to introduce our own designs, and we would also like to bring the production of some of the electric guitars to Oxnard. But first of all we have to tackle our backorders… For this year, our plan is to catch up with those and build the instruments that guitarists have been waiting for. After that we can take care of new models; we have lots of cool ideas!
"

Ralf
And there’s still plenty of models they haven changed the name of yet.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I pitched them a remake of the F112 om/ooo sized 12. They seemed interested. Also pitched a special edition one-off xxx-LTG model which could be cool.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now if we could just get that herd of cats over on the LTG forum to agree on a common spec.

*snicker*

Wake me up when it happens.

For folks with no recollection, there were negotiations with New Hartford to make an LTG model acoustic. They were more than happy to do so as long as a) we could provide a set of specs that they were capable of building and b) we had a high level of commitment for at least 10 instruments with a price point circa $2000.

Needless to say it did not happen. The price point was a barrier for some, even though the target price was comparable to the street price of a similar production model. Those who were willing to pay the price were only willing to do so for their preferred size and tonewood and the dread folks were not listening to the jumbo folks and the orchestra folks were drowned out. All in all it was an interesting demonstration that most folks were either going to "have it my way" or not at all. The willingness to compromise in order to create something new was not there, at least at that price point.