Strange starfire IV serial number from the 90's ?

Reaction score
Hello

Similar question - when would a AG301706 be from? It's a Westerly SF3-BK

Thanks

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just is case anyone reads this, I now own this guitar and I love it. Purchased it in Indiana. Would love to know if previous owner knows for sure if the pickups are Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 models. I really don't want to pull them out to see but may have to.

thanks, Gary

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just is case anyone reads this, I now own this guitar and I love it. Purchased it in Indiana. Would love to know if previous owner knows for sure if the pickups are Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 models. I really don't want to pull them out to see but may have to.

thanks, Gary
This may help. Measuring various bits can pin it down. But you may still need to look underneath to see if it’s a boy or a girl.
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/guild-full-sized-hb1-and-sd1-pickup-variations/

Reaction score
Guild Total
This may help. Measuring various bits can pin it down. But you may still need to look underneath to see if it’s a boy or a girl.
https://www.gad.net/Blog/2011/11/25/guild-full-sized-hb1-and-sd1-pickup-variations/
I know that they used the original trim rings. They have the two holes on one end and one on the other. They drilled a new hole between the two holes to accommodate the new pickups. I will find out what they are but my bet is they are sh-1 59 Duncans.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know that they used the original trim rings. They have the two holes on one end and one on the other. They drilled a new hole between the two holes to accommodate the new pickups. I will find out what they are but my bet is they are sh-1 59 Duncans.
If you say that the pickup rings in your new guitar have now 3 holes on the bass side where there should be only two this means there was an aftermarket modification done and the pickups were replaced. Guild never drilled in the plastic pickup ring to add a third hole. But maybe I misunderstand what you try telling us.
If you looked at GADs page the SD-1 pickups look like this:

1627597867806.png

In some earlier years the Guild factory used different pickups in different guitars and the pickups were modified with such adapters to fit the existing rings, but never was a third hole added to the plastic rings by the factory:

1627597955421.png

Ralf

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is what I am saying, pickups were changed and the modified the rings by adding the hole. I was told they are Seymour Duncan but until I pull one out I can't tell. It was also mentioned in the original post that they are Duncan's.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is what I am saying, pickups were changed and the modified the rings by adding the hole. I was told they are Seymour Duncan but until I pull one out I can't tell. It was also mentioned in the original post that they are Duncan's.
Ah, got it! I wasn't sure about which guitar you were talking as we discussed a few serial numbers in this thread. So a previous owner basically switched the rings 180 deg around and so the three holes are now hidden under the pickguard as it loks. That's a clever and clean way to do it. Sure, that could be any kind of aftermarket pickups and only you would know if you take them out. Maybe the SH-1/SH-4 combination? Nice looking guitar by the way!

1627651538974.png

Ralf

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i believe a 98 would have had the Duncan SD-1 which is basically the same as a Duncan SH-1. so, that would be an interesting swap to compare before and after, some real GAD type stuff. unless it originally had the Fender HB-1s, or possibly even the Guild HB-1s. in any event, a fine looking, and sounding i'm sure, Starfire! enjoy her!