What causes this distracting guitar resonance?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Listen to how the bass on that C and B is WAY louder than the bass is on any other notes on strings 6, 5, and 4....

I didn't listen, but I've encountered that before. It might (must?) be a soundboard resonance frequency? Or maybe it's the frequency that couples with the dark energy that permeates the cosmos? You don't want to create a vacuum metastability event*!

* "...a bubble of lower-energy vacuum could come to exist by chance or otherwise in our universe, and catalyze the conversion of our universe to a lower energy state in a volume expanding at nearly the speed of light, destroying all of the observable universe without forewarning."

Antney

Reaction score
This ain't rocket science.
Listen, think, and decide for yourself.

I was at the Marine Biology Lab in Woods Hole this weekend. One of the Ph.ds had a bumper sticker on his car : sometimes it DOES take rocket science

Tico

Reaction score
Hey Tico...how old are you? It could simply be younger ears hearing more frequency. Most of us are 50+

Age related hearing loss starts reducing our ability to hear up around 20,000 Hz.
In time our hearing gradually falls off at 19,000, then 18,000, then 17,000 and so on.

But the fundamental frequency of that B is way down at only 123 Hz, and the C is 131 Hz.

9wr1Epkm.png

Even then this is about 2 notes standing out by having more bass than the adjacent notes, something unrelated to the nature of age-related hearing loss.

BTW, I'm in my 60s.

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
I see....(actually I don’t but I can’t offer up any evidence to agree or disagree)...but I can offer this:

In March 1979 I spent the night at my friend Obie’s house. He had some very high quality now legal in Massachusetts hooch. That night on the ride home I listened to a version of Whole Lotta Love with two additional guitars that I had never heard on that recording before or after that ride. Sometimes magic happens with sound. I offer up as evidence Studio Two

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had the cred once , doc said get plenty of rest and eat chicken soup . I got better ...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I listened, carefully, with some smallish studio monitors. JBLs. I think I hear what you are hearing. I had to check your post to make sure it was the right string. It did not produce the tone/volume when he simply strummed at the end of his songs, so there is certainly a " how the string was struck " part to this, but, I suspect what you hear is the frequency that that guitar body resonates best at. Like a speakers resonant frequency. It stands out a bit more. It may be that after the guitar has been played quite a bit more, the rest of the frequencies will catch up and you wouldn't hear the imbalance. Still, if you had said to just listen to this cool review, and didn't mention anything , up front, I may not have keyed in on listening FOR something and not heard anything of note.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello again

I listened again with better speakers now that the family was out. Laptop speakers were not revealing anything really.

When listening with GOOD equipment it comes out clear - and after Tico telling closer what he was hearing, I can hear it, too. No problem. Those couple notes are louder and E-string is low level. But the cause of it all ???

The low E-string being that much quieter could well be either low-cut / roll-off forgotten ON while recording - impedance mismatch, lousy mic, mic position, preamp - anything. And maybe the way it was put into YouTube. YouTube has plenty of material with excellent sound quality, so it must depend on users choices - I am not familiar with that - never put anything in YouTube.

The room where he plays seems large enough - so probably good. Him being a good player leads to think it is not that he´d be squeezing the guitar too tightly to kill lowest notes.

And finally - could well be that this particular instrument is a bad one. What originally put me off track was that Tico asked about resonance - which it might be, but not the kind of resonance that I was expecting. Like side tones that pop up on certain notes - i.e. a snare drum nearby starting to rattle when you hit B . . .

In the end only way is to get hands on one and try it - happy hunting.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I had the cred once , doc said get plenty of rest and eat chicken soup . I got better ...

"crEds", not "crUd".
:glee:

"...a bubble of lower-energy vacuum could come to exist by chance or otherwise in our universe, and catalyze the conversion of our universe to a lower energy state in a volume expanding at nearly the speed of light, destroying all of the observable universe without forewarning."
Would that be a "little bang"?
And if nobody's left to remember it, did it really happen?
:glee:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, the heck with anyone's "creds", including my own.
I just explained what in my background may explain my noticing this.
Ummm...I kinda thought that's what "creds" were...but if we've got different semantic interpretations of the term, so be it.
Anyway, like Frono, I put a whole lot more credibility in your observation after learning about your background, didn't mean anything snarky by it.
If it came off that way my apologies.
I never really doubted you heard it.
This ain't rocket science.
Listen, think, and decide for yourself.
When I'm interested in an M20, I will.
Otherwise the discussion of what could be causing such a phenomena is interesting enough to me for its own sake.
I guess you were just looking for confirmation that others could hear what you hear?

Tico

Reaction score
Ummm...I kinda thought that's what "creds" were...but if we've got different semantic interpretations of the term, so be it.
Anyway, like Frono, I put a whole lot more credibility in your observation after learning about your background, didn't mean anything snarky by it.
If it came off that way my apologies.
I never really doubted you heard it.

No problem.
About the cred thing, I wanted lots of opinions.
But when a person withholds theirs and defers to the opinion of another person we lose a vote, one data point.
Everyone has ears and can answer the simple question for themselves.
If the answer is they don't hear it, just say so.
That's a legit response.

That can bring up a discussion of why some don't hear it, while others do.

After all these posts I do believe one reason many don't hear the extra bass on those two notes is they are listening on their phone or other device that can't produce bass way down at 130 Hz.
I listen on my home computer connected to $2,300 of high end audio gear including a parametric equalizer adjusted to eliminate the worse resonances of my room at my listening position.
IOW, my gear gives me a wide and nearly flat frequency response ... FAR from the usual way people listen to music.

Yes the source is low-fidelity - Youtube.
But we're listening for a dramatic bass difference of two notes in a scale, not for whether all of the bass is rolled off.

... I guess you were just looking for confirmation that others could hear what you hear?

Yes.
That, and what the source of the resonance might be.
As someone has written, I suspect it is the resonant frequency of the body of that guitar and/or guitar size.

Again, I do intend to get out and try some M 20s.
Thanks all.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I did not hear anything, but again, my laptop speakers leave a lot to be desired.
i do believe you heard it though.
i hear less and less as i get older, only 51, but i have definitely noticed some changes re me more recently:

1. I look older in the face
2. I cannot hear the Br as well anymore, hence my recent change to medium gauge strings. Probably need to go 80/20 as well...
3. I squint a lot
4. I am lousy with names

I guess what I mean is: I am right on track.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did not hear anything, but again, my laptop speakers leave a lot to be desired.
i do believe you heard it though.
i hear less and less as i get older, only 51, but i have definitely noticed some changes re me more recently:

1. I look older in the face
2. I cannot hear the Br as well anymore, hence my recent change to medium gauge strings. Probably need to go 80/20 as well...
3. I squint a lot
4. I am lousy with names

I guess what I mean is: I am right on track.

Hair.
How's the hair?
As long as you've got your hair it's still alright.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hair.
How's the hair?
As long as you've got your hair it's still alright.

Oh I still got some hair. and hardly any gray. It is thin, but it is there :)
Thinking of growing it out too, going hippy.
Which reminds me of a question or statement my wife periodically says to me: "I can't tell if you are a hippy or a redneck."

not a bad place to be...

geoguy

Reaction score
Willie Nelson is still blurring that hippie/redneck line, too.

FWIW, I also don't hear what Tico is referring to, via my laptop speakers, and with ears that are 10 years older than Wood's.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh I still got some hair. and hardly any gray. It is thin, but it is there :)
Thinking of growing it out too, going hippy.
Which reminds me of a question or statement my wife periodically says to me: "I can't tell if you are a hippy or a redneck."

not a bad place to be...

Right.
Here's another little secret I learned over the years:
If you're wearing a tie when a traffic officer pulls you over, he calls you "sir" and doesn't bother with the warrant check.
I justify it to myself by wearing Jerry Garcia ties:
jerry-garcia-ties-nimbus-ashland-or.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
that is a sweet tie Al. no one, i mean no one gets a speeding ticket wearing that tie.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wes get yourself some good head phones .

your on track alright just think in a few more yrs they wont even remember your birthday and don't get me started on the hair issue , bags under your eyes a zest for grumpiness Etc .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
that is a sweet tie Al. no one, i mean no one gets a speeding ticket wearing that tie.
Unfortunately I keep forgetting that in an attempt to finally get a good picture, my drivers license photo came out bearing an uncanny likeness to Jack Nicholson and keeps defeating that nice first impression the tie creates.
308c0f3cc9295f5c2a49a8e9ef5b0216.jpg

And another advantage of these ties is you don't need a barf bag. No one will see the spill.
Or the little seed-burn holes.

Last edited: