Let'sTalkGibsonSongwriter12

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I never crossed with a Songwriter 12 but the wood and the burst are certainly darn pretty. I have to agree with Chazmo though - that mustache bridge and pick guard are both a little "decorative" for my taste. Rosewood - dread - 12 string - with all of those three it cannot be too bad ....... right?

beecee

Reaction score
Let's buy him a few beers, let him A/B the JF-30-12 & the gibby. I know apples/oranges. Be interesting to hear your thoughts

How does the fit/finish compare? While the Jf ain't top of the line I think they are pretty darn good guitars

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, but removing that famous and well known/recognized moustache bridge would be like taking away the G Shield or Chesterfield logo off one of our Guild models.

Yeah, it took me some months to accept the moustache bridge. It has grown on me. It's just fine now. :02.47-tranquillity:

Tico

Reaction score
What a beautiful guitar.

I love my 3 Guilds, but will confess to owning other brands.
My 2 beloved Gibbys are an ES-335 and a Les Paul.

Tonally, I prefer Guild and Martin for acoustics.
My beater(s) are two Taylor Big Babys.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it took me some months to accept the moustache bridge. It has grown on me.
Isn't that what moustaches do?

It's just fine now. :02.47-tranquillity:
Pics or it's not true.
salvador-dali.jpg

Refute me.
:glee:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course, that's not the original mustache bridge style as seen on the J-200, but I like them all.

And yes, Ren did design the slightly modified dread body of the Songwriter.

Perfect as is - I wouldn't change a thing!

That’s actually the Spanish Bullfighter Hat bridge design! “ Toro!” ;)

Beautiful guitar Cougar!!!! And you know I love me some Gibson’s too!
Congrats!!!

MLBob

Reaction score
A very nice looking 12 there!

My local GC got in a Gibson Hummingbird Pro 12 string that was a beautiful burst as well. Great appointments + I found the neck on it to be wonderful and very easy to play! After playing it, I thought long & hard about it but eventually settled on a Taylor 562ce, 12 fret - 12 string (all mahogany) which I later tried at a local Sam Ash. After A/B-ing them, I thought the Taylor's Grand Auditorium body coupled with the short scale neck was far more comfortable (for me) than the Gibson; but somebody sure did something right on that Gibby 12. A few days later, I made a bid on the net for a 562ce Taylor and got it at a great price, so that turned into another plus. Never would have thought that smaller 12 strings could sound so rich and play so easily; but that Gibson and the Taylor 562 that I now have sure changed my thinking.

Bob

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Never would have thought that smaller 12 strings could sound so rich and play so easily....

I hear ya. I picked up (also at a great price) a Martin GPC12PA4 12-string, which is one of those "smaller guitars," and it's a good sounding little 12-string! At first I thought I might flip it, but no, I'm keeping it. It's nothing like the Songwriter, though (man, that's a pretty guitar, haha). And then there's the Guild jumbo 12. Not much beats that baby!

MLBob

Reaction score
q5oZmfY.png
[/IMG]

Well, Coug, I came to realize the little Taylor 12 fret just wasn't going to work for me in the long run. Fret-board radius proved to be a bit too flat for my liking, and I always felt I was making finger pressure adjustments to make chords sound clear. Just glad I decided to send it back quickly. Sometimes we need to stick with first impressions, and this Hummingbird progressive limited edition 12 was still available.....so

osxxcWo.jpg
[/IMG]

Went back and pulled the trigger on it. A limited run out of the custom shop exclusive to GC.
Since I'm not a big fan of the "mustache" or the reddish Hummingbird burst and deco pick guard, this is just the ticket.

Bob