Kings of the Twelves

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Beautiful 12 strings. are they electric? where is the battery? I just ordered a 12 string and the battery is in the sound hole? Does that mean I have to remove all the strings to change it? I was always told never remove all the strings at the same time on a 1 string?? Has anyone ever done this before?

I'm no expert, but I've changed strings on 12s and I feel that as long as you finish the job in a reasonably good amount of time, there's no harm done. Hans will probably have an opinion on your question. My 12s don't have electronics in them. To tell you the truth, Guild 12s are so loud, I don't see why you'd need electronics. I've had guitars with batteries accessed through the sound hole, and yes it's something of a pain in the a** to change, especially on a 12 string. It depends on where the battery is located. If it's on the neck block, that's the easiest location.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some care/cleaning vids from Taylor that might help.

I've done countless string-off changes on my 12s over the years. If your guitar is acclimated to its environment, and as long as you slack the tension one string at a time (e.g., don't cut them off in groups with a wire cutter) you're fine. Usually I slack the strings working my way into the center on each side to keep tension balanced, but it's probably unnecessary (1, 12, 2, 11, etc...).

To change your battery, you probably only need to slack the strings, not remove them, but hey take the time to do a string change, clean the fretboard and the soundbox, etc...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, if you're changing strings, you might want to make a slight truss rod adjustment if the gauge has changed. Tension will always be slightly different with a new set of strings. If you're working on a Guild with two truss rods, it's important not to twist the neck -- usually that means make similar changes on both rods. In any case, we're talking small (1/4 turn) changes, otherwise get thee to a luthier.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
BTW, if you're changing strings, you might want to make a slight truss rod adjustment if the gauge has changed. Tension will always be slightly different with a new set of strings. If you're working on a Guild with two truss rods, it's important not to twist the neck -- usually that means make similar changes on both rods. In any case, we're talking small (1/4 turn) changes, otherwise get thee to a luthier.

Good advice, Chazmo.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No sweat. I don't know where that "don't remove all the strings" fear comes from, BTW. I mean, the guitars were built that way (without strings, that is), right? :)

Do a google search for those Taylor string changing vids (probably on youtube).

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No sweat. I don't know where that "don't remove all the strings" fear comes from, BTW.

I do. I once took them all off and it took me about two hours to get them wound around the posts properly. Pure operator error. I forgot, didn't make a drawing (or picture) and my attempt at "logic" was incorrect and not discovered until I thought the job was done :)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, well, that's a good point, Fro... I'm glad you brought that up. You're talking about doing the job right, which I totally get and perhaps should've mentioned. It certainly is easier not to make a mistake when you do one string at a time.

That said, I interpreted ezstrummer's concern to be about structural damage to the guitar with the strings off. Like the thing's gonna cave in on itself or something. That's what I was trying to debunk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is a beautiful pair! How would you describe the tonsl difference between the two?

Consider myself lucky to have recently picked up an F 412 in natural, in excellent condition and at a reasonable price even. Loving the guitar. How does one post pics here?