wonky D-18 on "Landslide"

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, for sure, out of tune. Toy sounding? Not sure I get that. In any case, I would not hold that up as an example of how a Martin should sound.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i think that has a nice old Martin growl to it.
cool to see him play that song. that F#/D chord was a great idea.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very "funny" to see that while in recording studio with a fancy desk etc there is a Shure SM58 mic - it makes a good doorstop or lousy hammer - but there are hundreds of better mics for acoustic guitar.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The SM58 has "a sound," though, which makes it a useful option if you want something (guitar, voice, whatever) to sit in a certain frequency range and otherwise stay out of the way, and without using mixer/external EQ. Same reason 57s still get used on amps. I like my Electro-Voice RE16 for this kinda thing.

-Dave-

Neal

Reaction score
Out of tune and using what sound like old strings.

It is a '69, which is right around when Martin started installing over-sized rosewood bridge plates on the D-18. The rosewood plates are generally considered tone-killers.

But it is Lindsay's first good guitar, one that he bought in his teens. So the guitar obviously taught him quite a bit.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Out of tune and using what sound like old strings.

It is a '69, which is right around when Martin started installing over-sized rosewood bridge plates on the D-18. The rosewood plates are generally considered tone-killers.

Maybe that is why the early 70's one I had never made the grade in my mind (my ear?). No matter - its replacement says Guild on it..... :)

Oh yeah - that D-18 is definitely out of tune during the video. One might have thought a quick adjustment could have been included or performed and cut out of the video....

Last edited:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Definitely out of tune, as others have confirmed. "Toy sounding" is a bit harsh, but it certainly doesn't sound great.

One of the joys of those late-'60s/early '70s Martins is that there's no truss rod. If the neck needs tweaking, the only option is a neck reset. Had it done on my (formerly my stepmother's) 1970 about a decade ago.

I do enjoy the sound of that guitar. By general consensus, it's not Martin's finest period. But it's definitely nice, and it has calmed my desire for a D40.

F312

Reaction score
Maybe that is why the early 70's one I had never made the grade in my mind (my ear?). No matter - its replacement says Guild on it..... :)

Oh yeah - that D-18 is definitely out of tune during the video. One might have thought a quick adjustment could have been included or performed and cut out of the video....[/QUOTE

Check this read, They did all the corrections at Martin in Nazareth, PA, most under warranty on my 73 D35. https://reverb.com/news/70s-martins-what-you-need-to-know

Ralph

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had no Martin and I felt sorry for myself until I met a man who had no D40.
:glee:

old Martins are great. I bet neal's 1960 is awesome sounding. A simple D-18. It does not get more fundamental bluegrass and old time folk than that.

and i have owned my share of old martins: D-35, HD-28, D-28, 0-16NY (one that should have never got away)...

that all being said, my D25 Br sounds fantastic for what it is. $225 in 1971. But all solid wood so it has aged nicely. It sounds like a more expensive dread. and over time, i think one gets used to the darkness and definition of all mahogany.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
One of the joys of those late-'60s/early '70s Martins is that there's no truss rod. If the neck needs tweaking, the only option is a neck reset.

This was the case for most of Martin's history in fact. Truss rods are a fairly recent thing for them.

-Dave-

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had no Martin and I felt sorry for myself until I met a man who had no D40.
:glee:

:fat:

Note that I said "calmed," not "cured!"

And you'll note that I have a couple of other hog-backed Guild dreads. Just not a D40. Yet.