Guitar Center selling New Guilds

beecee

Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news but I noticed a number of new former "Traditional" series guitars available.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/F-55E-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

In fact the annoying ad banner on my screen is showing an F-55 in a Guitar Center blurb at this very moment.

I was under the impression that Guild and GC parted ways since Guild couldn't/wouldn't meet quantities demanded by GC.

Assuming that was the case I guess Cordoba does enough volume with their other product line(s). Hmmmm, but Fender certainly did as well.

This is good.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the New Hartford days GC's minimum order was larger than the folks at Guild wanted to commit to, so MIA Guilds were not in Guitar Center. Nevertheless GC always seemed to be able to order MIC Guilds during that time and I recall scattered reports that new MIC Guilds were actually seen on display in some stores. During the NH days FMIC had "stocking agreements" that were based on the brands and not the total volume stocked from FMIC. I talked to a couple of dealers who found stocking FMIC products a PITA because they had to talk to one person about Guild acoustics, another about Guild electrics, one person about Fender electrics, another about Squire and so on.

So I think this is news and it bodes well - either GC has adjusted their stocking policies, Guild is expecting to produce the required quantities or CMG has enough clout with GC to negotiate a deal across all CMG product lines.

I do note that
Case sold separately.
and
Case: Premium humidified hard shell case

so I'm not really sure what I would get for my $3,799.00

PittPastor

Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news but I noticed a number of new former "Traditional" series guitars available.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/F-55E-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

In fact the annoying ad banner on my screen is showing an F-55 in a Guitar Center blurb at this very moment.

This is good.

I hope this becomes a thing. If my local GC will start stocking Guilds, I can start trying out the new stuff. And then there is always that "0% Interest" thing for 2 years... You know, just in case.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hope this becomes a thing. If my local GC will start stocking Guilds, I can start trying out the new stuff. And then there is always that "0% Interest" thing for 2 years... You know, just in case.

There you go!

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, there's a difference between stocking them online and stocking them in stores. Didn't Musician's Friend stock NH Guilds? Not a big step from there to GC online, but a bit step from there to GC in stores.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I hope they sitcom them in store so I can play a few....and fall for the 0% financing. I wish Sweetwater would carry them as I already have that card!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there's a difference between stocking them online and stocking them in stores. Didn't Musician's Friend stock NH Guilds? Not a big step from there to GC online, but a bit step from there to GC in stores.

I've ordered online stuff from GC and had them deliver to a store (shipping free!).... There's not a big step, as you say, Jeff.

F312

Reaction score
I'm seeing a Martin D28 Braz for 15,999. in my ad banner.

Ralph

bobouz

Reaction score
My guess is that as before, CG won't stock the USA-made models in stores, but will carry them online along with Musician's Friend, with whom they share warehouse stock. A strength of ordering through GC is that, as mentioned, you can have a warehouse item delivered to your nearest store, assess it there, and accept or reject the item. You can also take it home to evaluate, and return it to your local store for a full refund (per their policy's stated length of time).

That provides for a lot of no-risk flexibility.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just to be clear, my personal experience here was that you buy the item first to get it delivered to your local GC (or any GC you want - I bought something online from my home in MA and had it shipped to Emeryville, CA where I was visiting). It's clearly not the same as just trying something that's "in stock" in a store. That said, as we all know, there's a very lenient and easy return policy if your real intent is just to get something into the store so you can try it out. I don't know what GC does if you "return" the item. My guess is they just ship it back to whatever distribution center it came from, but perhaps they put it up in the store. Dunno.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
chazmo, they will only order something they normally carry in stock. The blue Breedlove was a $1000 non refundable deposit. The all myrtlewood Concerto E they had on the wall. They were willing to order me a new one but were totally out of line on the price and said it didn't come with a case. So Sandy gave me a heads up and I ordered it from Springfield Music for $1599 brand new with a case. GC wanted $2000 with no case.

So it kind of depends if it's something they normally stock or not. So the answer is "It depends." I guess!! :encouragement:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think we're saying the same thing, Tom. What they *don't* normally stock, you can order -- as in, you can just *buy* it online -- and have shipped to any GC. What I was questioning was that if your intent was really just to try, say, a new Oxnard F-55, but that you didn't really want it... and then you return it to the store.... would they put it up on the wall and sell it there or ship it back to their fulfillment center?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My guess is that as before, CG won't stock the USA-made models in stores, but will carry them online along with Musician's Friend, with whom they share warehouse stock.
I'm betting you're right for the simple reason that I don't think Cordoba's gonna be able to build enough to put several in every store, for quite a while.
I think Tom's (Davisman's) anecdote is relevant for the model he was interested in, and there may have been some manager's discretion (or lack thereof) in that failed sale and deposit requirement.
I think the manager wanted to unload his aging inventory and was trying to discourage the purchase of a new one with the case it should have come with, leaving him still stuck with his aging inventory.
I think that's also the secondary driver about what GC will stock, they need turns, they can't afford to have costly stuff sitting on the wall for months at a time.
They need to rotate that cheap stuff (or at least the "big name" brands that'll do that on the strength of their name recognition)in and out rapidly, that's where the real money is in retail.
A strength of ordering through GC is that, as mentioned, you can have a warehouse item delivered to your nearest store, assess it there, and accept or reject the item. You can also take it home to evaluate, and return it to your local store for a full refund (per their policy's stated length of time).
That provides for a lot of no-risk flexibility.
Yes, it provides a way for them to service this kind of niche at relatively low risk in terms of inventory investment.
But they've gotta offer a lot of flexibility in the return policy to reassure buyers.
Having covered that stuff, I was surprised t see GC's opening another store in San Jose, given all the noise about their financial difficulties and impending implosion.
I suspect it's in a much more readily accessible location and perhaps a downsize from their current one.
Wouldn't surprise me if that one's slated to close, maybe.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think we're saying the same thing, Tom. What they *don't* normally stock, you can order -- as in, you can just *buy* it online -- and have shipped to any GC. What I was questioning was that if your intent was really just to try, say, a new Oxnard F-55, but that you didn't really want it... and then you return it to the store.... would they put it up on the wall and sell it there or ship it back to their fulfillment center?
I'd bet the manager has some discretion there based on his local conditions.
He might want to keep it a while or he may decide he doesn't want to carry the inventory and send it right back.
There might be "shipping" issues to consider too, the cost and damage risk of shipping something around too many times.
For sure in Tom's case I think it was a manager trying to sell what he had on the floor, as I described above.
(oh, I see his reply now)
My memory of the original scenario was that it was supposed to come with a case but they lost it, and to get one with a case they treated it as a special order.
A smarter manager would have cut Tom a better deal for "no case" and finally moved the guitar.
Cash flow.
Turns.

bobouz

Reaction score
An item ordered online from GC (new or used), whether shipped to a particular store or to your home, can be returned to your local GC for a full refund, whether it's a typically stocked item or not. I've done this a number of times, and had asked specifically before doing so.

Of course, their policy could change tomorrow, or a particular store manager might try to fight it. If that occurred, I'd call their toll-free online number for assistance. Best bet is to ask at your local store first to assure exactly how they are interpreting the policy.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I just ordered a new Guild 12 string from Guitar center. They have none hanging in their store but they do have them on line.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I ordered the F-2512E from the Westerly collection. I was looking for a 12 string around that price range and when saw the Guild I had to have it. I will be coming some time this week. Will get pics up when I get it.