I still can’t believe it myself

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually if you wanna stay "True to Townshend", P90-wise anyway, then a Blues90 oughta be just the ticket.
It was a Bluesbird with P90's and a de-blinged neck.
Otherwise I'd say Rickenbacker.
rick.jpg

:glee:
I was keeping it in the Guild famiglia. If you want to go rogue, then I’d say get a ‘52 Tele. That was (is) one of Pete’s favorites, and was his go to for most of the pre-Tommy recordings, and later solo stuff. Aside from Pete, it’s one of THE basic rock machines, versatile for pretty much everything.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/52telecaster.html

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fendertelecaster.html

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not just for historical. Remember, a lot of classic rock was based around them, especially in the late 60s. Check out Townshend’s SGs, and Santana’s, both P90 equipped. LP Jrs are all P90. They are a great sound too.
P90's are the sound of early Rock and Roll, Blues, Jump Blues, R&B and even Jazz. Gibson only really started putting humbuckers on guitars in late '57, so do the math. Some of BB King's best records, mid-period T-Bone Walker, Freddie King's classic instrumentals, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters when he still played a Goldtop, Hubert Sumlin with Howlin' Wolf, Eddie Taylor with Jimmy Reed, Mickey Baker, Jimmy Nolen, Scotty Moore (P90's earlier on, staples later) , Carl Perkins, Franny Beecher with Bill Haley played a P90/staple LP Custom. Kenny Burrell, Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Tal Farlow are a few Jazz players who played P90 equipped guitars for at least part of their career.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a really cool Axe Acorn! Personally the Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple pickups are my Favorite all time pickups. Mine are Alnico V magnets and come in between 9.5K-10.4K in both my Late Westerly SF-V and my recent build up of my 2014 GSR X500D. The best way to describe the Duncan versions are a perfect mix of a vintage P90 like a Franz and a Dearmond Dynasonic. Crystal Clear when you want them to be with a nice Fat Tone but plenty of Dirt when pushed. The cool thing about the Duncan models in both P90 mount and Humbucker mount is the pole pieces are adjustable just like a Dynasonic. I am going to have to look into the Lollar set of Staple pickups and see how they match up as they seem a little more price friendly than the Duncan models. Glad to see someone else has discovered and is enjoying the world of Staple pickups! They truly are unique and Awesome all rolled into one. Here are a few pics of mine in Humbucker Mount.

LjVo9v.jpg
HPqUKl.jpg
NojkfB.jpg
fKefLT.jpg

TX

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not really much of a Tele guy, and believe me I've tried to be, that that is damn cool.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice, TX! I don’t know if can completely condone altering a Guild, but I’ll give you a Staple pass. :triumphant:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice, TX! I don’t know if can completely condone altering a Guild, but I’ll give you a Staple pass. :triumphant:

I hear ya Acorn, I have a two very strict rules about altering an original Guild. First the Modifications have to be completely reversible, and second if it came from the factory with Original USA HB-1's, Original USA Franz Pickups, or Original USA Made Dearmond pickups I won't change the pickups. However if it came with the Fender Made HB-1's like my SF-V or the Korean Repop HB-1's like the American Made GSR X500D did then they are fair game for an Upgrade, LOL!

TX