I still can’t believe it myself

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still can’t believe it myself

I’ve been very pro-US-made Guilds, not really interested in the imports (with the lone exception being the T-Bird, since I can’t ever afford a vintage one.) But, I have to admit, I’ve fallen in love with a very unlikely model.
A little background. (Gather ‘round, kiddies! Uncle Acorn’s going to tell you a story.)
Johann Segeborn did a video comparing vintage Les Pauls year by year. Yes, the ‘59 burst was great, but what really made my ears perk up, was the ‘55 Custom with the Alnico V Staple pickup; not a pup that you see a lot. Even the reissues of this model goes for big bucks. But, I wanted them!
Now, I’d also been looking at G&L Bluesboys; almost got one. But the problem with them, and all Tele-Style guitars, is the long scale. I’m a short-scale guy.
Then, while seeing if there were any short-scale Teles, other than overpriced booteek builds, I came across this Jim Adkins signature model Fender Tele. Of course my first question was: “Who the @$%# was Jim Adkins. :fat:“ Then I saw that it was an import; and not even MIM. BUT! It seemed to be getting a lot of great reviews from major outlets. So, I kept it in the back of my mind.

Then I saw this one. Artisan Guitars had it on Reverb. Someone had swapped in Lollar staple pups instead of the Duncan P90s (which were also included); about $300 worth of an upgrade. (And the Duncan’s weren’t the cheap ones to begin with, btw.) It also came in a Fender Pro case, instead of the no-case it came with (or didn’t come with.) And it was pretty much unplayed. And it was at the going rate for these used.

So, I bit, figuring I could take out the Lollars and sell it with no trouble. But, I found that I loved it! Sounds amazing with those pups, and it feels so nice in my hands.

As you can see from the pics (yes, yes, I’m getting to them), it’s almost not a Tele the way Adkins spec’d them. 2 P90s stock, stoptail bridge, Gibson-style knobs and switching, short scale, and a set neck.
A really surprisingly great guitar.

Pic time.

img_2040.jpg

img_2043.jpg

img_2044.jpg

img_2045.jpg

Last edited:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s beautiful. I bet it sounds as good as it looks! Congratulations

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
that is really sharp looking. that red is perfect and the black pg. nice!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yep, that is a sharp looker. How's the string-to-string volume balance given that the magnets/polepieces aren't height adjustable?

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I keep hearing about P90s. Not really an electric guy, but are these pups sought after then?

never mind, i get it now, they do sound "fierce": https://youtu.be/vFK8s2PFte0

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, that is a sharp looker. How's the string-to-string volume balance given that the magnets/polepieces aren't height adjustable?

-Dave-
I haven’t noticed any string-to-string imbalances. I will say, these pups are rather hot, but don’t get harsh like modern high output pups.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I keep hearing about P90s. Not really an electric guy, but are these pups sought after then?
The Staple pups sort of got lost in between P90s and humbuckers. I would describe them as being a higher output P90 sound, but with more clarity, and a sparkle to them, but they can still get ballsy when pushed.

Lollar and Duncan are the only aftermarket makers of them, and they’re not cheap.

Here’s a good write up on them. Note the comparison with Dynasonics.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21134-cult-coils-lesser-known-vintage-pickups?page=4

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
P90s always seem to fly just under the radar. Lotsa folks dismiss 'em as the pickup Gibson "replaced" with their humbuckers…which did happen for a time during the '70s. But I love 'em myself. Tonally they've got a strong midrange response that can get too nasally if they're overwound. But around 7.5KOhms gives you a great combo of oomph and clarity, with more output than a genuine PAF wound to the same DC resistance. They do hum, though, which puts some people off.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Staple pups sort of got lost in between P90s and humbuckers. I would describe them as being a higher output P90 sound, but with more clarity, and a sparkle to them, but they can still get ballsy when pushed.

Lollar and Duncan are the only aftermarket makers of them, and they’re not cheap.

Here’s a good write up on them.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21134-cult-coils-lesser-known-vintage-pickups?page=4

P90 first built in 1946? whoa! now I get why so many seek them then, for historical significance alone.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I haven’t noticed any string-to-string imbalances. I will say, these pups are rather hot, but don’t get harsh like modern high output pups.

Ah, good to know. I love the Duncan staple in my Heritage LP Custom copy. The P90 bridge pickup (also a Duncan) in that guitar is a real scorcher, though. I'm tempted to replace it with another staple to reduce the treble grit. Sounds like the Lollar could do the job.

-Dave-

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
P90 first built in 1946? whoa! now I get why so many seek them then, for historical significance alone.
Not just for historical. Remember, a lot of classic rock was based around them, especially in the late 60s. Check out Townshend’s SGs, and Santana’s, both P90 equipped. LP Jrs are all P90. They are a great sound too. The Staples are just different, and unique. (Or, not, according to that article; but I don’t have first hand familiarity with Dynasonics.)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not just for historical. Remember, a lot of classic rock was based around them, especially in the late 60s. Check out Townshend’s SGs, and Santana’s, both P90 equipped. LP Jrs are all P90. They are a great sound too. The Staples are just different, and unique. (Or, not, according to that article; but I don’t have first hand familiarity with Dynasonics.)

so if Townshend was the main reason why i even started playing guitar, as we know, then i am a P90 man afterall :)

thanks Chris, this is good intel for me when i eventually jump over Guild fence to electric land.
What Guild electric would be a good first example for a long time acoustic player?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
so if Townshend was the main reason why i even started playing guitar, as we know, then i am a P90 man afterall :)

thanks Chris, this is good intel for me when i eventually jump over Guild fence to electric land.
What Guild electric would be a good first example for a long time acoustic player?
Hoo boy; there’s a tough question. The answer is always going to begin with: “It depends.” Music Style, neck preferences, budget, etc. will all give different answers. Maybe a Bluesbird or S-100. If you want to dip your toe in cheaply, grab that red Detonator from DthomasC.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hoo boy; there’s a tough question. The answer is always going to begin with: “It depends.” Music Style, neck preferences, budget, etc. will all give different answers. Maybe a Bluesbird or S-100. If you want to dip your toe in cheaply, grab that red Detonator from DthomasC.

yeah i figure that would be a doozy. :)
i am not buying this year that is for sure.
just thinking ahead.

again, thanks.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yeah i figure that would be a doozy. :)
i am not buying this year that is for sure.
just thinking ahead.

again, thanks.
Actually if you wanna stay "True to Townshend", P90-wise anyway, then a Blues90 oughta be just the ticket.
It was a Bluesbird with P90's and a de-blinged neck.
Otherwise I'd say Rickenbacker.
rick.jpg

:glee:

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score

Here’s a good write up on them. Note the comparison with Dynasonics.

You missed a version of them, nonadjustable like the Lollars: http://www.thornguitars.com/gt90pu-htm/gt90pu.htm