Seems like a heck of a deal. Guild 12 string strings

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Almost certainly. Fender did sell Guild strings during at least part of the New Hartford era. They were simply rebranded--I can't remember who the original manufacturer was.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah they're real, but be aware those're pre-New Hartford vintage and could be even more than 15 years old.
From at least the early 70's up until sometime during Corona production the strings were made by D'Addario.
(Or at least all the pb flat-top strings were)
Circa '02-'03 Fender reverted to their own captive maker in Mexico, "Squier" IIRC.
THOSE are NOT as good as the D'Addarios.
Trust me on this, it's one of my pet topics and I went through it when I discovered they'd changed the "G" gauge on the L350 (6 string) set and saw that the new strings were a slightly different color than the couple of sets I still had stashed, in other words, different alloy.
The packaging never changed except for the gauge list.
The original D'Addario strings were being closed out already in '04, and the Mexican ones were being closed out when Tacoma closed.
I'd say chances are very slim those're the D'Addarios and I suspect there's no way to tell from packaging, unless there was a spec change on the gauges.
I don't think the 12-strings ever got a change in gauges, at least, they didn't have an .025 requiring replacement with an .024 like the 6 string set.
Not worth the risk IMHO, before even taking into account whether they were stored properly for all this time and aren't oxidized to h-ll.
Guild was officially out of the string business until around 2010 when they announced a return to D'A as their official OEM maker, and the packaging was updated to use the new logo:
s-l640.jpg

If you want as close as you can get to original Guild strings go straight to D'Addario:
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductD..._String_Acoustic_Guitar_Strings__Light__10_47
I'm sure you can find those readily at the source of your choice, and they do offer a medium set too, if that's your preference or you just want to try some tuned down for example.
For your Westerly F212 I might even try silk and steel, they offered it even into the '80's, and they were even original equipment on JF30-12's, but that might have been just to mellow out all the maple.
price_in.gif

Otherwise, they did have PB available in '74.
From D'Addario, who first offered it to market.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
That is why I love this place.

Thanks guys.

Al I know there are huge differences between you left coast and we correct ...er right coast but I've never seen "those're" in print.

It makes sense, I've probably said it a million time myself but never typed or wrote it.

Just an observation.

For your Westerly F212 I might even try silk and steel, they offered it even into the '80's, and the were even original equipment on JF30-12's, but that might have been just to mellow out all the maple.

I will certainly try though the JF-30-12 and F-412 are not at all jangly. (there I tee'd one up for ya!)

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee, there's a million different types of strings to try (OK, that's an exaggeration, but only just). :)

The type of strings you use is the single most significant thing you can do to affect tone on your axe. If you compare silk & steel versus say a set of 80/20s and you'll swear you're playing two different guitars. I s**t you not.

Enjoy the hunt.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al I know there are huge differences between you left coast and we correct ...er right coast
Close analysis of grain helps ease the identification of left and right coasters.
iipsrv.fcgi

[BFor your Westerly F212 I might even try silk and steel, they offered it even into the '80's, and the were even original equipment on JF30-12's, but that might have been just to mellow out all the maple.[/B]
I will certainly try though the JF-30-12 and F-412 are not at all jangly. (there I tee'd one up for ya!)
I know it's been a stereotypical assumption about maple, and I didn't subscribe to it myself based on my own F65ce, but lately my ears actually have perceived more of it, primarily when hearing playback from the GF's cell phone vids.
I should have clarified my statement with the possibility that S'n'S was offered as a low-tension option for 12-ers in general, since we recently saw Guild lit from that era (late '70's IIRC) that specifically recommended tuning 12-ers down due to tension.
Prior to that I think most of us assumed they were built to handle the tension, and it was the first time I'd ever actually seen it in writing from 'em.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah they're real, but be aware those're pre-New Hartford vintage and could be even more than 15 years old.
<<BIG snip>>

That points up something I've recently discovered the hard way: I've been buying favorite strings in multiple-set purchases when they go on sale. I've recently opened several sealed packages only to discover pretty significant corrosion on plain steel strings, and some tarnish on the windings on the wound strings. These were strings sealed in individual plastic envelopes packaged in a sealed outer plastic envelope.

4+ years in the humid sub-tropical South Jersey climate seems to be too much. I'll be buying my strings in smaller batches OR taking extra measures to keep them dehumidified.

beecee

Reaction score
If you compare silk & steel versus say a set of 80/20s and you'll swear you're playing two different guitars. I s**t you not.

Looks like I know what I'm doing w/ my off weekend!

from 'em

cute!

beecee

Reaction score
I think your gramma is fine, it's your spellin that is the issue.....