F20 1958 or F20 1968?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here so go easy!

Long story short is that I've got the chance to purchase either an F20 1958 or a F20 1968, both are great looking guitars though I don't know the difference to expect in sound quality or build quality (if any) as I will be buying online. Does anyone have any experience playing both and could shed some light? The 1958 F20 has a spruce top with a maple back and sides whereas the 1968 F20 has a spruce top with mahogany back and sides.

Although I may not get a chance to play either guitar before I buy, my dad will as he lives near where they are being sold and he has owned a 1975 Guild D25 for over 40 years so should be a good judge on that front! I haven't ruled out travelling to try the guitars for myself as its a fair distance though I may do so depending on how I feel when it comes down to it.

As mentioned, my dad owns a Guild D45 and its one of the best sounding giutars I've heard and I grew up learning to play on it. I realise the F20 is a parlour guitar so won't have anywhere near the bass and full sound of the D25 but I prefer to play with a finger picking style which is why I have plumped for an F20.

Any info on either guitar would be much appreciated!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can tell you I have a '66 F 20 and it has plenty of low end thump and growl to keep this Dread/Jumbo lover happy. If there are no glaring structural issues between the two guitars, I have to believe you'd be happy either way.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, chunk.

Quality? I wouldn't worry about it.

They might be different in any number of ways, sound-wise and playability-wise, given a 10 year period. I don't know enough about it to be sure. Are you sure about the maple on the '58? If that's really true, then I'll bet they're completely different sounding.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a ‘62, and I wonder if the earlier maple version (yes, Chaz, they were) might be too bright for the small body. I think the ‘hog works better to give a better balance on the low end.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about the maple on the '58? If that's really true, then I'll bet they're completely different sounding.
Yeah it is true, the first version was maple.
To our new member:
Welcome aboard!
The '58 would probably get the oohs and aahhs and have more desirability from a collectible standpoint, but might also have more significant wear and tear.
Just something to keep in mind while you ponder the sound difference.
Hang tight you should get some more feedback, I think there is a member here who has both, or else the 2 versions of the 'hog body, as that one came with both short (24-3/4") and long (25-5/8") scale.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
lots of fans of the mahogany short scale F-20 here (like the 1968). Im sure the maple back is a fun guitar but I will take the mahogany please!

I also like flat backs (solid mahogany) and do not play arch backs (laminated maple etc), so again, the 1968 wins on all fronts.

u could always just buy both...why choose?

good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think my heart is set on the 58 as it such a great looking guitar but that being said playability and sound quality are important to me as I'll be using it as my main guitar so my head is saying the 68 would be better! I think I'll see what my dad reckons when he goes to view them and try make a choice then. Thanks again, can't wait to own my own guild

Reaction score
I'd love to buy both but finances dictate that I can only get one! I just happy I can afford one of them!