My entertainment center redo project .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Crush kill destroy , danger Will Robinson ! Lol

I’m not sure if I posted anything about this sorry if so .

I love hearing about everyone’s projects as I love to tinker but really never get the time to do stuff the way I want . A lotto win could fix that �� here that universe spare some rock brother with gold in it or something lol

I’m more a shade tree mechanic type then pro so don’t expect a lot from work lol but I try . The reason I’m doing this is because the built in wall unit that came with house was the stupidest thing ever and totally non functional for today’s standards so to say , unless you were very old .. forgive my slight stereo type .

And a big poo I’m posting this with out pics because I forgot I can’t on mobile with imgar so hold that page I’ll be right back with the pc haha .

ok so this thing was a pain to take down looking at you would think no big deal hahaha yeah well here we are LOL
the unit had big squares no divided shelving and was shallow of depth which could not hold any hifi stereo equipment with over hanging the edge .

so out with old in with the new and it will not come apart easy just either hahaha

original unit
09peaWs.jpg
[/IMG]
and tear down in-progress
7SsDaNU.jpg
[/IMG]
7o76AyA.jpg
[/IMG]
FWgmnE0.jpg
[/IMG]
one reason why it was a pain to take down
Q97dcGX.jpg
[/IMG]
P2QSDeN.jpg
[/IMG]
3mIy6zn.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And a big poo I’m posting this with out pics because I forgot I can’t on mobile with imgar so hold that page I’ll be right back with the pc haha .

Who cares 'bout pics we want audio.
A crescendo of hammers hammering, saws sawing, thumbs bleeding.
And a grand finale of paint drying.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm missing the tear out pics of the guts but what a pain as the unit was built then installed so all the screws etc are from the inside so taking it apart from the outside in was the pain.
anyway this in-progress and Im kind of skipping ahead. I'll explain the design goal later , heres a few more up to date pics
my beams for shelving and dividers for cabinets
MyiEOga.jpg
[/IMG]

224rbqX.jpg
[/IMG]
DQF7rFq.jpg
[/IMG]

Stain is a Red Oak
i6BN0Da.jpg
[/IMG]

224rbqX.jpg
[/IMG]

T&G not stained but trying to get a feel for what it will look like though much will be covered by cabinets
T0huvEa.jpg
[/IMG]
I'll post some when i find them or move along on the job :)

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The first few cuts and sledge hammer blows are the hardest. It's the " No turning back now ! " moment.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Who cares 'bout pics we want audio.
A crescendo of hammers hammering, saws sawing, thumbs bleeding.
And a grand finale of paint drying.

Yeah that would not have been publishable. They have this corner bead stuff that’s made out of plastic and it lined every corner edge . Finding the screws or cutting through them was a task but why needed them I have no idea ?

I ran up jump in the air spun around with my big backside and landed on the shelf and it still wouldn’t budge ! Lol so the audio would have had some very poor language. 😁

That junk was over two truck loads not counting what I could sneak off in the regular household trash .

Luv the saw horses......:laughing:

Hey know , back off lol Harbor Freight 8 bucks and holds 300 lbs each . I have another set outside that’s where all the is going on . So wish I had a shop but it’s just my back deck and the weather has caused many delays lol

I also spruced up the custom tv stand with a fairly nice sound bar 😜

The first few cuts and sledge hammer blows are the hardest. It's the " No turning back now ! " moment.
Amen brother ! Lol that’s the biggest delay in the starting it lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
been a bit and its going slow , weather and such along with working on the back deck and plan procrastination LOL

anyway heres a few updated photos :)
added a 4 gang box on the bottom for surround sound gear on a separate 20 amp breaker 12/2 wire of coarse.
enKTIbc.jpg
[/IMG]

Dry fit , sanded and ready for staining and poly
vqbkQV5.jpg
[/IMG]

some shots of the bare unit
ZAFK8SB.jpg
[/IMG]
9x3xrUX.jpg
[/IMG]

I went for a wee bit of an industrial look as to the joining method of the uprights and shelving boards.
I like the look so it worked out for me LOL
s6QRePZ.jpg
[/IMG]
zDF9fAb.jpg
[/IMG]
HsOSTTd.jpg
[/IMG]

So thats were I"m at , I still need to finish the mounting on the above upright . I have the second upright almost done which is a clone to this one, it will just be on the other side of the unit :)
Now that winter is coming to visit us this weekend with ice and snow I'll have be out working to help save the world again because folks just can't stay the heck home ( Some thing I want to do ) LOL the work will slow down even more . The next board sets will be the main shelfs , framing out the Tv space .

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice work. Quite a job, but you’ll enjoy the results for years.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Usually when someone starts with "I'm no pro", they're getting ready to show us pro-quality work, and sure enough..... lol
Nice job! (Good Harbor Freight customer here too) ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Quite a job, but you’ll enjoy the results for years.

Thanks but I’m planning on winning the lotto and I’m moving to a log cabin home with a view !
You folks can come over with your guitar of choice then party on ! Lol

Good job Ray. I'd imagine the weather could be a deterrent these days. :encouragement:

Thanks Tom :) , yeah weather has been a pain over past few months it always rained on the days I had planned to do work .

Now the cold weather or is it warm weather? I can’t tell , it was 70 degrees a few days ago and now I have go into work Saturday midnight because where suppose to get 6-12 inches of snow so we’ll be steady at until Wednesday when the temps go back up into the 40’s lol
Man this is some messed up stuff .

Usually when someone starts with "I'm no pro", they're getting ready to show us pro-quality work, and sure enough..... lol
Nice job! (Good Harbor Freight customer here too) ;)

Thank you good sir I’m doing the best I can with the tools I have . I’m pretty confident that if I had a shop I could much better work . Lol

You see the nail holes in the photos and I’m filling the ones that would be visible when the unit is done maybe I’ll get them all only because I’m anal about quality workmanship lmao . I could of hid the nail holes but my gun was a tad to big and I’m already broke so use what I got lol oh and yeah the brad nailer from HF Works great only a few jams . Hehe my fault .

I post back when I the some more shelf’s and all . 😁