Reaction score
Guild Total
IMG_6843_1600.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
More info as events warrant. No it is not currently mine.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool, A Guild BM! (Which in Guild Guitar talk means "Brian May" but if you were in the Medical profession the abbreviation "BM" might not be as pleasing of a subject, LOL!). Looking forward to hearing more GAD.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL re: Guild BM. I think that’s what my recent S70 purchase became. ;)

matsickma

Reaction score
Based on the pickups it looks like a early model to me.
Many years ago I had one of the later BM reissues. It was similar in color to the one for sale. The 24 inch scale neck wasn't as hard to adjust to from the standard Guild neck scale if aroubd 24.5 inches but if you mistly play a Strat scale 25.5 inch it might need take a little effort to adjust. Needless to say I sold the guitar.

I didn't realize the pickups were wired up in series so many of the switch setting had significant high frequency rolloff. Unfortunately before I learned that the reason BM used a Treble Boost was to compensate for the series wiring high frequency rolloff.

I later picked up a Brian May pedal and found the treble boost was so high I couldn't understand where it could be used. I ended up selling it.

A while after I sold both items I learned about how BM utiluzed the Treble boost pedal and series wired puckups.

Sure wish I understood that setup when I had the gear. I may have been able get the BM tone. So fully appreciating a Guild BM guitar requires knowledge of his technique of high frequency rolloff compensation with a treble boost. If I had to guess I would estimate that the boost maxed out around 30dB.
M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
To use a treble booster the way May does, you not only need his guitar but also his amp. The way an AC30's Normal channel responds to the TB is a huge part of his sound. Because the Normal channel is dark-ish, mid heavy and fairly low in gain it pulls a hot & bright signal right in without flinching. But run the same guitar+TB into, say, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and the result is an overblown, screechy mess.

-Dave-

matsickma

Reaction score
GAD...now I remember the initial BM Guild model! Tnx

Quantum Strummer... good info. Sounds like the synergy effect of all the pieces is significant on the BM tone.
Tnx for the info.

M

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD...now I remember the initial BM Guild model! Tnx

Quantum Strummer... good info. Sounds like the synergy effect of all the pieces is significant on the BM tone.
Tnx for the info.

M

And let´s not forget his personal touch . . .

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've watched a pile of interviews with him and he fascinates me. The one thing that disappointed me about the Guild BM01 was that the neck is NOT huge. It's wide, certainly, but it's not baseball bat deep like the original. I love a fat neck, so I was quite bummed about that.