Starfire II Bass Reissue - Capacitors

Llewellen

Reaction score
Isn't there a slight spacing difference between the mounting holes (NS rosewood-saddle vs. DeArmond "barrel-type" harp bridges)? Or do I have that wrong?

The NS Guild mounting holes are spaced about 1-1/16" apart (center-center) while the 1990s Guild "barrel-type" mount holes are closer to 1-1/4" apart (center-center). I suspect that the DeArmond bridges are probably dimensionally identical to the 1990s Guild bridges, but don't know it for a fact.

If that assumption is correct, then mounting the barrel bridge would involve filling the old mounting holes and drilling new ones with the slightly wider spacing.

You are almost correct, I measure 1 3/32 inch for the stock rosewood bridge and 1 5/16 for the barrel bridge. However, the mounting holes on the barrel one are enough off centre on the base plate such that only one new hole would be required (sorry, I can't find how to add a pic from my computer)

The other question is how to mount the forward end of the barrel base plate. It is not tapped to use the stock height adjusting grub screws. Perhaps replace the existing steel base plate that the grubs rest on with a 1/4 inch (or so) shim fastened to the body with the existing screw holes and then drill the base plate to mount it with screws to the shim??

bassman10096

Reaction score
"I have that barrel saddles bridge but haven't installed it. How did you mount it?"

I should have mentioned, the Starfire came to me already modded. I agree that the mounting holes don't match, although the footprints of both bridges are spot-on, so any dowling would not show.