NGD: '81 Starfire!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been on the hunt for one of these forever and scored the one for sale here on LTG. I got it a couple of weeks ago so this is a belated NGD, but I was busy sitting on tiny airplanes during thunderstorms and didn't have a chance to post any details.

MLBob was terrific regarding the sale and I told him that this may have been the best packed guitar I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of guitars shipped!

I haven't managed to take my normal pics of it yet, so here it is reclining on the leather couch.

5D3_0001_1600.jpg

This guitar is damn-near mint. Plays like a dream, too!

As a bit of history, I fell in love with Guilds in part due to a high school friend's Starfire IV that was from around '77. It had that plain-looking maple top like this one but was blonde, and of course it had a rosewood fretboard and block inlays along with a harp tailpiece. I like the look of the harp, but I greatly prefer the playability of the stop-tail. I also LOVE ebony fretboards and really dig master volumes, so the '80s Starfires have always been a draw for me, but they rarely seem to show up and when they do they're either way too expensive or beat to heck. Also, HB1s baby! :sentimental:

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s a gorgeous guitar. It would be a nice match with the X-500 you sold me; same tobacco burst sort of finish. What’s the neck width? Looks wider than the 500.
I’m looking forward to your review.

MLBob

Reaction score
Wait a minute GAD..... How did you get our couch????:happy:

q4VLOIP.jpg
[/IMG]

Glad you like the guitar so much, and the fact that it stayed in the LTG family makes it even better!

Bob

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
good job GAD i am like you and like the drilled stop-tail *and* drilled bridge. I have an 84 w a Guildsby and Califorinas. not so easy to find one w HB-1s, drilled bridge and stop tail, and Guildsby. im looking, believe me.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice! Always love the looks of an early 80's burst.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
These are great guitars, and I love that dark sunburst. Can't wait to read the review!

dbirchett

Reaction score
These are great guitars, and I love that dark sunburst. Can't wait to read the review!

Well, you'd better be patient. I've been waiting on the one for the Blue Starfire V for several months now. Seems the pointy ones are getting the press at the moment. Must be a phase GAD is going through -- reliving the '80s.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The more you pay for reviews the faster they come. ;)

Honestly, sometimes life gets in the way. Life has been seriousky in my way lately.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry I missed that - Neck is 1 21/32" at the nut. Basically halfway between 1 5/8" and 1 11/32".

Update with a pic with the new strobes.

5D3_1133_1600.jpg