Eagles surpass MJ for most album sales of all time

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love the Eagles, but this surprises me, especially after so many years.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that they're even still talking about this kind of measurement. The way they're counting streamed music doesn't quite translate to me as any real measure of "albums sold" but it certainly is true that a lot of Eagles music gets listened to. That does seem to me to be an achievement.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that they're even still talking about this kind of measurement. The way they're counting streamed music doesn't quite translate to me as any real measure of "albums sold" but it certainly is true that a lot of Eagles music gets listened to. That does seem to me to be an achievement.

I agree it doesn't seem the same as "album sales", but we are no longer in an "album sales" environment. Young people in particular don't think in terms of albums anymore...

walrus

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If my software gets over 2 billion hits a day (it does), how many platinums (platini??) does that make me?

:)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only actual vinyl album I still own, that sits in a wicker basket in corner of dining room floor, is Kottke's "Armadillo" album, aka 6 and 12 string guitar. I do not own a turn table to play it on, but it sure is a cool album cover :) It contains probably my favorite acoustic instrumental song of all time: Busted Bicycle.

https://youtu.be/A6aUWCSh4Cw

I hear he wrote the song for John Fahey's busted bicycle? I don't know but it sure sounds possible...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
According to the article, for the RIAA "counting", "1,500 streams of an album are equivalent to one album sale. Ten song downloads are equal to one album sale".

Don't know if that makes sense, but that's what they are doing. I think the whole concept of a Gold or Platinum record as we used to know it may no longer be valid.

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
According to the article, for the RIAA "counting", "1,500 streams of an album are equivalent to one album sale. Ten song downloads are equal to one album sale".

Don't know if that makes sense, but that's what they are doing. I think the whole concept of a Gold or Platinum record as we used to know it may no longer be valid.

walrus
Yup, that's exactly what I was referring to, walrus. I think these numbers do strongly imply that the "Eagles Greatest Hits" (songs from the album, anyway) is being listened to more than MJ's "Thriller" but trying to relate it to the old album sales paradigm just seems like a fool's errand to me.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love me some Eagles; but when I saw the "Thriller" video the first time I said "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen."

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Media, in general, is struggling to find a way to measure how many eyeballs/ears something gets because that is ultimately the number that determines advertising revenue.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only actual vinyl album I still own, that sits in a wicker basket in corner of dining room floor, is Kottke's "Armadillo" album, aka 6 and 12 string guitar. I do not own a turn table to play it on, but it sure is a cool album cover :) It contains probably my favorite acoustic instrumental song of all time: Busted Bicycle.

https://youtu.be/A6aUWCSh4Cw

I hear he wrote the song for John Fahey's busted bicycle? I don't know but it sure sounds possible...

He plays it in C tuning

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Media, in general, is struggling to find a way to measure how many eyeballs/ears something gets because that is ultimately the number that determines advertising revenue.

Indeed.

Since my company is now part of the "Nielsen" umbrella.... yeah.... I get that. :) :)