No Guts, No Glory

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of us draw inspiration from hearing about guys who just won't give up.
Motorsports has quite a few of 'em, but I just stumbled across Doug Rose's story in Autoweek today.
I've heard of Walt Arfons' Green Monster but didn't remember driver Doug Rose if I'd ever heard the name, neither was I aware he'd built his own jet-powered car in his back yard.
Yeesh. Those were the days.
Unfortunately he made his last pass last weekend.
At 80 years young.
While I cry for his wife, I was flabbergasted and heartened by the hurdles he overcame to continue his pursuit of the sport he loved:
rose8.jpg

"A 1966 crash took Rose's legs -- but not his love of speed."
PHOTO BY STEVEN COLE SMITH
Full story here:: https://autoweek.com/article/other-...ose-killed-jet-car-crash-age-80#ixzz5OkWClNRa
And:
http://www.the-rocketman.com/green.html

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back in the 60's my Father was the manager of the "Old Bridge Drags". On Saturday nights at the Old Bridge Speedway half mile asphalt oval, they would drag race down the front stretch for 1/12.5 of a mile. (I've posted photos before but what the heck!)

img230.jpg

img224.jpg

I remember my Dad getting a PR Kit from Doug Rose and the Green Mamba. It contained a photo of his car and a price list for his show(s).

Nevertheless, my Dad never hired Doug to bring the Green Mamba to Old Bridge Drags but I'll always remember how cool the car in that photo was!

R.I.P. Doug!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you'd ever seen him when I posted that!
I remembered that story about your dad, except I've forgotten if he invented the timing lights or set up the PA system for the track, or was it both?
Because this thread is actually about inspirational characters.
Thought it was in the "Anyone Remember Heathkit" thread, but no.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remembered that story about your dad, except I've forgotten if he invented the timing lights or set up the PA system for the track, or was it both?

He has been credited with inventing the "Christmas Tree" starting light system. Although he was involved in a Drag Racing timing system. While he wasn't the electrical designer, he built all the units and hardware.