Any Plumbers?

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Any plumbers on the list? My kitchen faucet tap is getting a little mushy, it shuts off but dribbles a bit before stopping completely. It started with the hot water a couple days ago, now the cold is doing it also. I'm pretty sure I need to get at the cartridge and at the least change the o-rings or washers. However, there's no set screw anywhere on the housing. I'm guessing I have to pry it up with a lever of some sort, but maybe somebody has a better idea. Here's a picture of the cold water tap.
potEhSuBj]
TIA Brad
tEhSuB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

silverfox103

Reaction score
Hi Brad

Not a plumber but an electrician for 45+ years. Also in my house, I am the plumber. Just by looking at it, I think that you have got your money's worth. I would not even think about repairing that unit. You can see rust and corrosion. I'm pretty sure you have those problems inside that unit also.

Fairly easy job to replace, everything is done from underneath, including the bracket that holds the unit to the sink. The last thing I would do is pry anything; that's only going to do damage.

If you're not comfortable replacing it, hire a plumber. You do not want to have an undetected leak and discover it weeks later. Now you have damaged floors and mold.

Tom

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Fairly easy job to replace, everything is done from underneath, including the bracket that holds the unit to the sink. The last thing I would do is pry anything; that's only going to do damage.

If you're not comfortable replacing it, hire a plumber. You do not want to have an undetected leak and discover it weeks later. Now you have damaged floors and mold.

Tom
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that as I would have some trouble (physically) getting under the sink. I've done it before, but that was when I was a lot more agile.
Thanks Tom.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brad, I tend to agree with Tom here that this needs replacement. In any case, there may be a countersunk screw in the handle that holds the handle onto the valve. I'm not sure from your pic, but trace a line directly from the handle's crook down to the base, and I think I see the hole there (could be an illusion). This'll probably be an Allen wrench hole and you just have to back off the screw a little bit, that is if it isn't completely rusted out already. Prying? No, that'll break it permanently.

geoguy

Reaction score
Chazmo may be correct re: a hex-head set screw, but I would also suggest springing for a new faucet setup. Choose one that matches the number/spacing of holes in your sink.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I lived close I’d come help ya out .

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Brad - you might want to shoot some PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil into that area where the set screw is hiding. If that area is corroded as well (as seems likely) the set screw may not release easily. IF you break if off or strip it you will have a real challenge getting the faucet out and will have to replace the unit still.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably bite the bullet and have it replaced. A few years ago I would do it myself, but these days I'm a poster boy for "Help I've fallen and I can'[t get up." If I crawled under the sink I'd probably never be able to get back out, even with help...
Brad

F312

Reaction score
If you do buy new, go with the ones with the ceramic inners, no drip, and no tightening.

Ralph

beecee

Reaction score
Ok, just to buck the crowd here a bit. Assuming you have a wide bladed screw driver this may be the type that you can pry off by alternating both sides of the handle base. Failing that, I've used butter knives as well....mother of invention ya know.

Check for a set screw as mentioned but if you don't see one try that. Once off you'll probably has a $29 cartridge you'll have to fuss with as well to remove. But make sure you know the make of the unit you're replacing.

But yes, you've gotten your money's worth out of that puppy. But hey, worst case, leave it alone...what is the cost of a few drops of water vs getting a plumber out there.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But yes, you've gotten your money's worth out of that puppy. But hey, worst case, leave it alone...what is the cost of a few drops of water vs getting a plumber out there.

Howdy

If the heat insulation in Connecticut is nearly as bad as in MN 30 years ago, then that little dripping saves the plumbing from freezing in winter.

Over here things are a bit different . . .

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ok, just to buck the crowd here a bit. Assuming you have a wide bladed screw driver this may be the type that you can pry off by alternating both sides of the handle base. Failing that, I've used butter knives as well....mother of invention ya know.

Check for a set screw as mentioned but if you don't see one try that...
Definitely no set screw, and I remember doing something like this on a different fixture in the past.
Thanks,
Brad