Guild DV4 Garage Sale Find

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post here, but this will now be my second Guild (my first one was D30 Blonde). My neighbors are moving and offered 2 guitars to me for $200 total...an Epiphone 12 string and a Guild DV4. The Epiphone doesn't really seem worth much, but it's a fun little 12 string to mess around on and not worry about. I'm very excited about the DV4, however, as it's in great shape, and according to the inside label, a Westerly model. Naturally, I'm having an issue with the serial number...(AD408819). According to the previous owners, they claim it's around 8 years old...but I can't seem to confirm this anywhere. Any help or additional info about the DV4 models would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the boards, G.D! I can't help you about the DV4, but guys here will be able to answer your questions, like they did mine when I first got here.

My neighbors are moving and offered 2 guitars to me for $200 total...an Epiphone 12 string and a Guild DV4.

Can't beat that deal!

The Epiphone doesn't really seem worth much, but it's a fun little 12 string to mess around on and not worry about.

Yeah, I've got a 70s era Epi 12-string, an FT-160. Even though it's in excellent shape and plays great, it's worth next to nothing for some reason. It's worth a lot more than that to me! I recently took it on a trip. Hadn't played it in a while. Man, it's a darn good 12er!

str167.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! I don't have dates for the DV-4 in my spreadsheet... but it is likely that Hans Moust will chime in with a date based on your SN. If he doesn't see this thread, shoot him an e-mail (see his profile for his address) or PM. He (literally) wrote the book on Guild guitars, and can date your DV-4 for you.

Reaction score
Welcome to the boards, G.D! I can't help you about the DV4, but guys here will be able to answer your questions, like they did mine when I first got here.

Can't beat that deal!

Yeah, I've got a 70s era Epi 12-string, an FT-160. Even though it's in excellent shape and plays great, it's worth next to nothing for some reason. It's worth a lot more than that to me! I recently took it on a trip. Hadn't played it in a while. Man, it's a darn good 12er!

str167.jpg

That's the same model as the 12 string I got, too! Here's pics of both guitars I picked up...

bOcbSe

kRuHYK

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, GrahamDaddy.

Wow, that's very exciting. I'm not sure what the date for your DV-4 is, but if it's Westerly then it's *at least* 17 years old or something like that. They closed Westerly in 2000-2001 if memory serves.

Anyway, would love to hear/see more on the DV-4. Like the others said, sounds like you got the deal of the year there!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, GrahamDaddy.
Yep, second that.

Wow, that's very exciting. I'm not sure what the date for your DV-4 is, but if it's Westerly then it's *at least* 17 years old or something like that. They closed Westerly in 2000-2001 if memory serves.
For sure they were shipping out completed stock all the way to December of 2001 (when my F65ce was shipped out) but they stopped new construction in September, "If I Recall Correctly", LOL!
Graham, the s/n charts stop at or sometime in '97 and DV-4's appeared after that, that's why it's not showing up, if you were looking at this:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf
Those are pretty rare in fact, I think they were only made for a couple of years before Guild finally brought back the much-better recognized "D40" model name very late in the Westerly years.
Seems like Guild couldn't decide what to call their flat-backed mahogany-bodied dreadnaught for a while there, because they also offered the DV-6 and the DV-25 during that period, and the DV-25 and DV-4 both shared that "AD40xxxx" s/n sequence with the D40 when it was finally "reintroduced".
I always like to say "read between those lines" when I see an overlap like that.
The same thing happens with D25's and D4's which are arch-backed models that share identical basic construction but vary a little bit in cosmetic appointments like headstock logos, finish, and binding.***
I suspect the DV-4 was originally introduced to be an economy version of the DV-6 which was same basic construction, but was dropped during that '97-'01 period..
The "DV" prefix itself stood for "Dreadnought Vintage" and there were construction upgrades associated with that prefix:
Necks and endblocks specially selected for strength and lightness, sanded sides and backs for added resonance, and AA rated sitka tops (and btw, even Guild's standard tops were pretty impressive at the time due to their wood selection and buying methods); and depending on the model, shaved or scalloped braces.
Note that in the '01 price list the D40's showing the top and bracing details, and you had to move up to the DV52 (rosewood body) to get scalloped braces.
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf
So all in all you got a scream of a deal.
Personally I'd say you bought that for $200.00 and got the Epi for free.....and if it's in Very Very Very Good ("VVVG") condition or better, with a case, I'd say that's easily a $600.00 piece or more.
I consider 'em to be a D40 by another name, maybe varying only slightly in cosmetic appointments.
I'm curious if it has a full gloss finish and a Chesterfield logo on the headstock? (I don't think it will, where the D40 usually did, but I think I've only seen one actual pic of a DV-4 in ally my time here and can't recall)
In fact I only recall one other member, Plaidseason, ever mentioning owning one, from Westerly.
The model name was reintroduced in Tacoma but your Westerly label proves it's a Westerly.
***I should also point out that late in the game, the arched back D25 and D4 were showing that same prefix too, so by then it might simply have designated 'hog-bodied dreadnoughts.

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
:shocked: Now I'm going to have to hit every yard sale I can find! Congratulations and welcome aboard, GrahamDaddy. Pics, pics, pics ...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG. That DV-4 model was only introduced in 1999 and discontinued in 2001. Your S/N AD408819 is from year 2000 as Hans dated previously both AD406957 and AD408999 as year 2000.

Ralf

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Super great score GD!! Welcome to LTG! A 12 string is fun sometimes.... I'm still getting used to having one in the house. It baffles me some. Some songs great, some songs, not so much. But that's just me. But the DV4 is a super nice bottom of the line of the DV's. I believe the "V" indicated some difference in the bracing to make it sound more "vintage" but the details are known more to GuardMan who responded above. He has actual bracing plans and guides for many of the different DV models.

So while your DV4 may not have a ton of "bling" it's a super nice guitar and for that price? You STOLE that MF!!!

Keep on playing......

Reaction score
Super great score GD!! Welcome to LTG! A 12 string is fun sometimes.... I'm still getting used to having one in the house. It baffles me some. Some songs great, some songs, not so much. But that's just me. But the DV4 is a super nice bottom of the line of the DV's. I believe the "V" indicated some difference in the bracing to make it sound more "vintage" but the details are known more to GuardMan who responded above. He has actual bracing plans and guides for many of the different DV models.

So while your DV4 may not have a ton of "bling" it's a super nice guitar and for that price? You STOLE that MF!!!

Keep on playing......

Well guys, I restrung this thing up, and I have to say...this is one of the most naturally easy, and warmest sounding guitars I’ve ever owned. I stopped by guitar center today to pick up strings, picked up a few higher end Martins and Taylor’s just for the heck of it and to be honest...wasn’t much of a fan of their tone or playability. Even if I consider myself to have spent 200 bucks on this alone, this to date is my favorite guitar I’ve ever owned. I’m on cloud nine right now. Thank you for all of the insight and friendliness throughout my first post. AND, since I only spent 200 bucks...I’m sure there will be another guild in my collection soon. Happy picking!

Reaction score
To add to it, I’ve never been too hung up on aesthetics, so this thing is right up my alley. I do a lot of finger picking to folky blues songs and really only care about tone, which this thing has plenty of. Bling has never really matched my voice, but the sound of this thing does. One happy camper.