guitar storage - humidity and temperature fluctuation

idealassets

Reaction score
I recall a lot of extremely cold winter nights when playing 5 nights a week in a paid band in the late 70's (that long ago?). For our equipment transport we had a delivery truck with a back end elevator platform for loading. I can recall a lot of shuffling of equipment and electric/ acoustic guitars through frigid air in and out of venues.

I believe most of the guitars were transported separately in pre-heated vehicles, but there was always that tell-tale yin yang during tuning that revealed the change in temperature of the guitars. I can only recall that it was temperature, and never humidity that was the concern. I played drums so was unlearned on how to treat expensive guitars at the time. Apparently all went well, since these were all "player" guitars, and not wall hangers. You could figure the performance time was 20 hours a week, and then there was the individual practice time beyond our paying venues.

Although admittedly there are probably far more collector/ players of guitars today than at that time, and the cost of guitars is far more. Today my own guitars have stayed in great shape in relatively reasonable natural humidity conditions.

On another note I really don't know how bands do it today, since we had 2 week to 6 week contracts booked, not like all the one night jobs that exist today.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I can tell just from looking at my '73 S-100 that someone gigged it a lot. There's plenty of finish wear on the neck along with checking all over the body and buckle rash on the back. Likely went through some serious temp/humidity fluctuations too. Still feels rock solid, though. Feels & plays great and holds tune really well.

The humidity in my house right now is ~60% due to morning showers and a cool-ish spell (for August) we're having this weekend. When the temps return to normal next week the A/C will run more and the humidity will drop back into the low 50s. None of my guitars seem to notice these minor fluctuations.

-Dave-

geoguy

Reaction score
I have a couple of these hygrometers. They show current temp/RH, as well as long-term high & low values. $24 at Amazon:

51t4HLRSTSL._SL1024_.jpg

idealassets

Reaction score
I can tell just from looking at my '73 S-100 that someone gigged it a lot. There's plenty of finish wear on the neck along with checking all over the body and buckle rash on the back. Likely went through some serious temp/humidity fluctuations too. Still feels rock solid, though. Feels & plays great and holds tune really well.

The humidity in my house right now is ~60% due to morning showers and a cool-ish spell (for August) we're having this weekend. When the temps return to normal next week the A/C will run more and the humidity will drop back into the low 50s. None of my guitars seem to notice these minor fluctuations.

-Dave-

What a great week we just had, back into the 90's tomorrow though. I spent all last week with the windows open and just a few fans on, temperature stayed right about 72 degrees the entire time.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, so I did some research and Michigan is not even close to being the 2nd most humid state, LOL.

Nonetheless, I'm really happy how my '76 D-25M has held up over the years with relatively little concern about humidity.

beecee

Reaction score
Beecee, I'm surprised you're only dealing with humidity in the low 60% range. I definitely get into the 70%s here in central MA. I don't worry about it. The problem here has been the winter months with my baseboard home heating that gets extremely dry. I know firsthand as I cracked a couple of heirloom guitars because I didn't know how to care for them years ago.

I have hygrometers in 3 rooms in the house 2 of which where I'm allowed to leave guitars....and hygrometers...out. This is an easterly facing room without central A/C. It stays pretty consistent. The rest of the house is certainly muggier.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since I never have too much humidity, I can't advise. However, today is wick changing day in both whole house humidifiers!! I can tell when they struggle and run too long. One thing I have noticed since we replaced the old (original) 1984 HVAC unit with a new one, it runs much less, cools us off better, and seems to not dry the place out as much as the old one. Probably because it runs less. Plus our power bill is WAY less! I aim for 40-45% here in the house, but you have to understand I'm fighting a losing battle here. I just have to make the best of it. I also have a couple of those plastic shove in things that go in the soundhole with a sponge in 'em. I rotate those around too. We had thunderstorms a couple weeks ago and it kept the air relatively moist. Gave the humidifiers a rest for a bit. Good luck, MG!! You're fighting a losing battle, just in the other direction!! :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I will find a way to test the RH in the room it hangs.

Don't know how I missed this but AZ's notorious for being extremely dry, except for the "monsoon season", and even then I think it only spikes when it's actually raining or a storm's within a certain range.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OK, so I did some research and Michigan is not even close to being the 2nd most humid state, LOL.
I'll be darned. OK, I can taka guress at Washington and Oregon due to average annula rainfall, and Florida, maybe some of the other gulf coast states coming in ahead?
But I thought I'd read all those states by the Great Lakes were prime candidates too.
Maybe the annual average is lowered due to extreme low humidity in freezing cold winters?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't know how I missed this but AZ's notorious for being extremely dry, except for the "monsoon season", and even then I think it only spikes when it's actually raining or a storm's within a certain range.

yup! but the A/C blows in house even during monsoon season so still wicked dry.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
But I thought I'd read all those states by the Great Lakes were prime candidates too.
Maybe the annual average is lowered due to extreme low humidity in freezing cold winters?

Yup. During winter my humidifiers (both central and rec room specific) seem to work harder than the dehumidifier does during summer.

-Dave-

idealassets

Reaction score
In Michigan today the humidity is at 70% probably due to heavy rain. It is normally about 45%, which is ideal for guitars.

However in the winter I set my humidifier at 40% due to 45% leads to a lot of condensation on the inside of the windows. Michigan has always been considered a humid state, although except for dry and frozen winters it is mostly quite favorable for health and overall climate appeal.

The only downside is the number of elderly folks that wind up relocating to extremely dry climates like Arizona due to "lung conditions".