Replacing Bigsby on Starfire III

johnreardon

Reaction score
I bought one of the Newark St Starfire IIIs last year. Great guitar, however, I would like to change the Bigsby to either a harp tailpiece or any other tailpiece. To be honest I bought the guitar because I owned a Slim Jim back in the 60s and loved it. The Newark model seemed close enough but it had the Bigsby. I really want to replace it as it's a pain for me. Never use a tremolo so might as well take it off.

Any recommendations as to where I could get a stoptail or harp tailpiece to replace the Bigsby?

I live in the UK

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
they make a newark street T-50 Slim jim and SF-2s with harp or stop tails. maybe just buy one of those and sell the more popular SF-3 u have now?

johnreardon

Reaction score
Dude - don't do it! Bigsby's are required by LAW!
:redface-new: Sorry I just don't like them. I should have really bought a Starfire II but they were out of stock at the time. I never use tremolo, even on my strat, so the Bigsby is just something that turns a 5 minute string change into an hour

johnreardon

Reaction score
they make a newark street T-50 Slim jim and SF-2s with harp or stop tails. maybe just buy one of those and sell the more popular SF-3 u have now?
My old Guild was the T100D so prefer the cutaway model to the 50. I agree I should have bought a Starfire II, but didn't. Being retired, my guitar buying days are over, so just looking for something that is a straight replacement for the Bigsby

johnreardon

Reaction score
This was my old Slim Jim

12814067_531158453729482_8415940114392268340_n.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just buy a harp from the Guild store and throw the Bigsby in the string pocket. They have the same screw pattern, so you should be golden.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello from Finland

Here´s a cheap trick, that is 100% reversible.

You could replace the Guildsby spring with a solid cylindrical block - i.e. a short piece of metal tube or pipe - that would keep the Vibrato - NOT TREMOLO - fixed - so same as with harp tailpiece.

Of course the harp tailpiece would be a tad lighter, if that is important.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess is that it's not the tailpiece itself that bugs him but rather the pain of stringing it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Your local Guild dealer should be able to order a harp tailpiece for you
Hi John, like Walter said, any Guild dealer in the UK should be able to order it.
The Guild website lists it: https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/newark-st-collection-harp-tailpiece-for-starfire-iv-nickel/

Here are the UK dealers:

Rock Hard Music
9 Canons Road
Milton Keynes, UK MK12 5TL
01908 314300

The Music Shop
Stall 46, Neath Indoor Market
Neath SA11 1DP
07533 305830

Lucky Fret Music Co.
90 Redchurch Street
London, London E2 7GR
02077 299186
https://www.luckyfret.com/collections/guild/

Ralf

johnreardon

Reaction score
Hello from Finland

You could replace the Guildsby spring with a solid cylindrical block - i.e. a short piece of metal tube or pipe - that would keep the Vibrato - NOT TREMOLO - fixed - so same as with harp tailpiece.

Hi it's not so much I want a trem arm blocked, I want a tail piece that is easier to string. Bigbsy way too complicated for me

johnreardon

Reaction score
Are you playing that "Slim Jim" thru a Marshall amp? Way Cool! :cool-new:
Yes I was. The cab was a Marshall 8x10 cab and the head a Marshall 100w (forget which exact model but bought it new in 69. I also used a split lead so went through a Carslboro 100w head driving two 4x12 PA columns, placed each side of the stage. I was loud.

johnreardon

Reaction score
Hello from Finland

BTW we called it tremolo back in the 60s and yes technically it's not correct, but that's what we called it it then and that's what I call it today. Vibrato and whammy bars are for young people :tears_of_joy: