Baby's Back!! The D65S arrived home last Friday........

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for the delay, mis amigos y amigas, but since Tom Jacobs called today and asked if anything was wrong, I had to admit that ..... yeah, some fairly major $hit was wrong. Got the guitar back last Friday and I was so happy with the result. You have to understand that we (the guitar and I) went down.... HARD!! 3 soundboard cracks and some braces broken loose!! So there was only one option.... Tom Jacobs Custom Guitars in Florida. That's the only person I'd trust with my baby that I bought new in 1994. Shipped it off with tears in my eyes thinking I'd probably never see it again and that I'd have one of those horror stories of guitar shipping. Tom, Delyne, and Dave are all so PRO!! Now it's back and he communicated with me along the way. Not as bad as he'd feared and then it began. Not sure what kinda magic they use there but I'm PRETTY SURE it's just called SKILL and killer workmanship.

I know I said I'd post photos and rave about the skills. The best thing is Tom called today to see if everything was okay. Well it's not okay. I was so happy to have the guitar back and tuned it up and, damn dead 6th (low E) string. So it thudded. So I said Okay tomorrow I'll change the strings. Had my normal Sunday and then standing up, my old rebuilt knee just said F**K IT and crunched and popped and ...... it's done. I had to crawl out of the bathroom and climb up on the bed. Don was trying to help but I said, "Don, you're 9 years older than me and I'm 230 pounds (and losing!!) what can ya do??" So I crawled out of the bathroom and climbed up on the bed. Left knee is shot. I've been avoiding this for years, but no more. Appointment with the Knee Replacement Doc is on Thursday. Let's just get it done.

So that's why the delay and appreciate the call from Tom. He's a super good guy and his office and business runs like a well oiled machine!!

So at first the low e string was dead and thuddy. I couldn't cope. So I said tomorrow I'll change the strings. I started that job and that's when the knee destruction happened. Crutches and non weight bearing on that side. It'll get fixed. Seeing the knee replacement guy on Thursday. I should've done this a long time ago.

ANYWAY, I changed the strings, it sounds amazing (like it never left here) and it looks amazing!! Keep in mind one kinda major crack in the soundboard and two lesser ones plus some braces were involved.

So shut up Tom, and show us photos, right???

Here we go:

hAhS3p.jpg

jzmUhF.jpg

Dlpc4p.jpg

V4DZTX.jpg

And weird imperfections are from my crappy photography. If you ever need help with a guitar, Tom Jacobs Custom Guitars in Merritt Island, Fl is where you go!! On the forum he's Fixit and he's THE BEST!!

Thanks, Tom, Delyne and Dave!! I had a short little playing session tonight and it sounds as good as ever.

Warning: Be very careful with the medicine doctors give you. They don't really care if you break your favorite guitar and just put their shoulders up and say, "It happens sometimes." They don't tell you that BEFORE you take it!!

All Is well in Las Vegas, except my knees but I don't think Tom does those. I sure wish he did. All photographics errors are mine and mine alone!!

THANKS, TOM!!! :encouragement::encouragement:

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Wow Tom! I hope Don gets hazard pay for looking after you! But seriously, I feel so badly for you, especially on such a happy occasion as getting your baby back. Hope the knee fixit goes well and quick.

Your baby looks ... reborn! ... and simply beautiful. Congratulations! And get well quickly!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, amigo!! I just take life's challenges as they're thrown at me. They're a lot lately but my choice is what? Just get 'er done, right?? It sounds so good!! Glad to have her home....... :encouragement:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom: What a beautiful guitar and on the bright side you gonna have plenty of "down time" to play it.
Pulling for all to go well with knee replacement and no matter how tough-do not cut physical therapy short. All the best.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep sluggin', Tom. If you can, now that the guitar's back in good health, get yourself there by dealing with one thing at a time. That truly sucks about the bad knee, but clearly it has to be dealt with. Sigh. Sometimes misfortune comes in bundles, and I know this is testing your fortitude.

Just know we're out here wishing you well.

The guitar looks great, and TomJ did you a real solid there.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats and commiserations Tom. It looks great. Get that me knee and you’ll be doing those Townshend jumps in no time!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not surprised one bit by the top notch job... Tom is a sure shot! Enjoy buddy and get ready for those "spare parts"!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tom! And, of course, Get Well Soon on the blown knee...

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another amazing job by Fixit. Tom and Dave are the best!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tom in Vegas- that is a beautiful guitar. I don’t believe i have ever seen a Guild D-65 until now. good move sending it to Jacobs.

Tom in Florida- the guitar looks brand new, id never know there was an incident/repair. Amazing

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool and nice work . 🙂
That’s some pretty wood .

F312

Reaction score
Good on your guitar, now the knee, my left has left and been replaced. My right is not right and I'm holding off as long as I can. Been there about the crawling and whining, and I'm also 230 lbs, not even a strong guy can pull me up. My advice is to hurry and install a handicap bar in the bathroom, you're going to need it. Best to you Tom.

Ralph

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good on your guitar, now the knee, my left has left and been replaced. My right is not right and I'm holding off as long as I can. Been there about the crawling and whining, and I'm also 230 lbs, not even a strong guy can pull me up. My advice is to hurry and install a handicap bar in the bathroom, you're going to need it. Best to you Tom.

Ralph

Yikes guys I got ya beat by 30 lbs lol I opted for bi lateral knee replacements did them both at the same time . Never thought of all thinks my legs would give out but bam ! There it is , curse’ed genes haha . Not sure your guys age I’m 57 but the knees healed up nicely and I can still bounce around throwing football, basket ball and I’m glad I can still pack mule when I have to . I won’t over do it I’m making it last as long as I can , getting my money’s worth . Iol

Anyway best to you guys in keeping healthy and strong and everyone else as well .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeesh, I can't even see any repairs in that top! (Magnificent silking, btw).
Is it maybe that dark streak right by the waist on the bass bout?
D'ya think Tom would consider standing by and consulting and advising while whoever does you knee, does it?
Sending good vibes your way.
I don't care if you believe in 'em or not.
:friendly_wink:

F312

Reaction score
Yikes guys I got ya beat by 30 lbs lol I opted for bi lateral knee replacements did them both at the same time . Never thought of all thinks my legs would give out but bam ! There it is , curse’ed genes haha . Not sure your guys age I’m 57 but the knees healed up nicely and I can still bounce around throwing football, basket ball and I’m glad I can still pack mule when I have to . I won’t over do it I’m making it last as long as I can , getting my money’s worth . Iol

Anyway best to you guys in keeping healthy and strong and everyone else as well .

Yeah, they wanted to do both knees but I said at the time (9 years ago) no way, the right one is right, but now my left one is better than my right. I have no power in both legs, shoot, I can hardly step off a curb without falling on my face.
I'm not complaining, I'm just raising cane.

Ralph

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone for the good wishes and nice words about the guitar. Fixit really tuned it up well with some minor lacquer issues and binding issues. He just fixed the WHOLE guitar!! Which is greatly appreciated by me. Mavuser, you could easily not see another D65S (S meaning Special Run). We've only seen one other one for sale on eBay probably 5 or so years ago? It was a shocker! Sandy pointed it out and posted the ad. They were a special run ordered by Guitar Center back in 1994 (back when they carried Guilds) and they made only 20. This one is 11/20. It's basically a G-45 (or the Hank Williams) maple dread, with the neck of a D55 (mahogany instead of maple) with some fancy tuners and the signature of the (at that time) president of Guild on the label. Pretty rare and I feel lucky to have it. I remember sitting in GC in the "good room" and I faced away from the sales guy and had him play my final 3 selections, mixing them up and not knowing which one was which. He did that three times and I picked this guitar EVERY TIME!! So, I bought it.

Tom and Dave, thank you for restoring my baby to it's GRAND beauty once more!! You're AMAZING!!

The only reason I showed photos of the back and sides is because they're pretty. Most of the work was done inside and on top. I'm smiling. Tomorrow I get news about the knee but I can face anything now that this guitar is back right again!!

p.s. - I'm ashamed to say that last summer I let myself get up to 265 pounds!! So 35 pounds and a year later, I'm getting a handle on this new style of eating and watching my weight. I've still got at least 20 to go but we live differently now and it's a lot healthier. Even cut back my alcohol consumption which is way harder than the food. But the results speak for themselves.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hey, Tom in Vegas, you certainly keep us guessing about what's goin' on in your life! Man, take it easy on yourself! I'm not surprised how your D65 turned out. After I got my '73 F-512 back from Tom J, I not only marveled at the repaired areas, plus the set up, but how the small imperfections he also took the time to address. The guitar looked so new, I almost expected a factory guarantee in the storage pocket!