Baby's Back!! The D65S arrived home last Friday........

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh no kidding Gary!! The Sparkletts guy came last Friday and we had minimal jugs to carry in. Today, I had Don do it. I can't do crutches and the huge bottle. And I can kind of walk now carefully without the crutches. But I made Don do it. He's only 74.... he can handle it. However EYE have to flip it up on the ceramic jug!!! Upper body at least a B or C-......... Lower body, F!! So knee replacement by October. Got blood work and EKG's and clearance for major surgery. And it's an overnight stay in the hospital. Damn!!

Oh well at least he can fix it. Dr. Allen looked at the x-rays they took today and said, "Well, golly.... I don't know how you're getting around (pain meds) but your knees are crap." Which is language I understand. He can fix it. Left first, then right.

I love having a plan.......in the meantime, I medicate and play. How does that sound??

That's my kind of doctor.

My mother had them both done at once and (ready for this?) insisted on being awake for the entire thing. I wanted to be sedated just listening to her talk about it!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That thuddy E string is probably because Dave played the s**t out of it, Tom. :) :)

Rock on, guys!
I sure hope so Charlie!! He came in on his day off, for cripes sake!! Now, I'm playing it..... the thing is every time I pick it up I smell lacquer!! It reminds me of my old days working with furniture. So I'm kind of leaving it be as much as I can (not like I don't have other guitars to play) but .... I play it a little bit.

Tom Rocks!! And Dave and Delyne are right in there. I loved that I called and Delyne answered the phone, "So, how are the slots paying off today?" That's an office EYE want to work in!! Lovely people and true craftsmen!!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The truth comes out!!! The (good) repair shops do play your guitars while they have them :)

Glad to hear another success story from fixit and co.

Good luck with the knee.

Well, yeah. I check the guitars before they go back to their owners. Q.C. you know...

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
..... the thing is every time I pick it up I smell lacquer!! ... So I'm kind of leaving it be as much as I can ...
Wrong thing to do, Tom. The more you play it, the less pain meds you'll need.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tom Jacobs fixed one of my guitars (refinished actually). that was almost 2 years ago. it still smells like lacquer.I am in NY. the shop is in Florida. when the guitar was finished nobody in Florida played it, it arrived brand new, like a brand new guitar (which is impressive, being that it is a 1962 M-20). Im sure they test them out before sending them back, but no one down there is “borrowing” any repaired instruments, not even for a few minutes. that would be quite counter productive should something happen. plus, they have many guitars! U guys are just messing around, but there’s a lot of people reading this. my guitar was unplayable when I gave it to Jacobs (botched refin), returned to me brand new HG nitro untouched. price was very, very, reasonable indeed. again the finished product was like a brand new guitar from the peak of Westerly production. Thanks again Tom Jacobs and family Deylene, and Dave from LTG who arranged everything and was -super cool-. I will be back! (got a couple gems for ya!)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
also new strings can be a little mysterious sometimes. sometimes they sound good immediately. other times they seem to need a couple weeks to stretch and settle. if youre changing gauges and/or the guitar has been set up/repaired, sometimes it is the neck of the guitar that needs time to settle in, and that can take weeks-months depending on a lot of things (including your own ears). plus that guitar was sent from humid east coast to dry Nevada. the string may have been fine if u left it on there a couple weeks. a chance it was a dud but that chance is low. if u are looking to make history tonight then yes u would benefit from a swap. hope the knee feels better. many cheers!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to be clear I was attempting humor. Some people just are not comfortable with someone else playing their guitars but apparently that is not an obvious enough stereotype to be useful as humor material :)

Joking aside I know NH instruments got at least five minutes of play time at the factory before going into that case for the last time before boxing and shipment. Most quality repair shops will do something to verify that the repair fixed the problem and didn't introduce a new one.

beecee

Reaction score
I love having a plan.......in the meantime, I medicate and play. How does that sound??

Sounds like a typical Tuesday to me....

9vTlwGc.jpg
[/IMG]

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's my kind of doctor.

My mother had them both done at once and (ready for this?) insisted on being awake for the entire thing. I wanted to be sedated just listening to her talk about it!
I'm totally with you on that, Gary!! Just like my heel surgeries. If they're going to be using power tools and cutting into bone and such..... just wake me when it's over and I'm all sewed up!! Sheesh!!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to be clear I was attempting humor. Some people just are not comfortable with someone else playing their guitars but apparently that is not an obvious enough stereotype to be useful as humor material :)
I got the joke, Jamie and I guess some people are like that but I love it when other people play my guitars!! And they usually play 'em better than ME!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At this time I haven't stopped anything. The doctor said, "I don't know how you're getting around!!" I said opiates and liquor and of course he said I don't advise that. Well of course you don't. you're 40 years old and all your **** works. Wait until you're my age and then start making all your judgments and then...... I actually held my tongue. FOR ONCE!! LMFAO!! So today, it was too hot to ride my bike and after the trauma of yesterday I slept in. Because what should I do? So we went for food and drinks at Bandito and .... I swear those people are so nice!! It's like we're celebrities!! It's like OMG!! HERE THEY ARE!! And we sit and drink and then go home.

I couldn't ask for a better life. Well, if my knees worked it would be better but that's gonna happen!! All these people offering to bring casseroles and stuff and I'm like WHY? So Don doesn't have to cook!! He does cook but with Grub Hub and Uber/Lyft we'll be fine. But it's good to know your people care about you, you know?? Let's get this knee done!!!

Yikes..... casseroles are for funerals!!! I'm not dead, just crippled!! LMFAO!! Now I'm gonna get on my crutches and get some stew going in the kitchen. Don MAY have to bring it to me, but maybe not..........

Paint Thinner.......... Killing me!!!

Love ya'll!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, you're on fire. I LOVE your conversation with the doctor. That totally made my morning.

Keep on sniffing that paint thinner, bromigo! :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
opiates and liquor...the original problem solver...bless u my friend

Sal

Reaction score
Great news on your guitar Tom and good luck with the knee!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
opiates and liquor...the original problem solver...bless u my friend
Eric, honest to GOD!! I know there's abuse and all this other **** going on but... my body is beat to **** and you're worried about drug abusers? We met our friends Emily and Roy tonight. Y'all would NEVER guess their age. They're turning 76 next month. Two of the funnest people ever!!!

How did I get there? 1 Tramadol, 1 Percocet, and 1 extra strength Tylenol!!! and I walked in with no crutches, (very carefully) and with assistance. And you wanna judge..... go ahead.

At 65 I really don't care what most people think!! And guitar playing and singing tonight was AH-MAZING!!! Beat that!!:applause:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Eric, honest to GOD!! I know there's abuse and all this other **** going on but... my body is beat to **** and you're worried about drug abusers? We met our friends Emily and Roy tonight. Y'all would NEVER guess their age. They're turning 76 next month. Two of the funnest people ever!!!

How did I get there? 1 Tramadol, 1 Percocet, and 1 extra strength Tylenol!!! and I walked in with no crutches, (very carefully) and with assistance. And you wanna judge..... go ahead.

At 65 I really don't care what most people think!! And guitar playing and singing tonight was AH-MAZING!!! Beat that!!:applause:

Hi Tom I think u may have mis interpreted my post. I never wrote anywhere that I was worried about drug abusers. (and if i was they would probably live in the same state as me). I don’t judge people on the internet, and really try not to judge people at all. I found your post “humourus” (mostly becasue I figured it was true)...anyway, you do you, my friend.. get well soon!