Forgive the string post....I know Pascal, I know what I said a couple years ago...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suffer from SAS, not GAS. It is way cheaper and it really supports my OCD and ADHD well. for the most part, pretty harmless.

Martin MEC-12s or 13s, you pick, I got the lights this time around. Martin "Eric Clapton" phosphor bronze. They are really warm sounding. I liken them to John Pearse PB and Silk strings, but even less zingy. I really like them.

Not tinny at all, and that was a concern of mine. I am a fan of the bottom of barrel Martin PB lights, their "traditional acoustic" strings, but the MECs are even better, warmer, fuller, not as jangly.

for what it is worth...here comes the gopher.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where's Al?

:) :)

As with most things in life, Wood, it's about the journey, right? :)

right on Chaz. i just like it when you string up first time with a different set and you are like, whoa! now those sound nice.

even better, my teenage daughter finally, finally, wanted to learn some guitar. totally out of the blue. she played a G chord, was the easiest for her to play for whatever reason. she first started with the Cruz, but was having trouble chording anything. I hand her the Br:

"Wow, hey this is smaller and easier to hold and play. I can see why you like it so much Dad".

:)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's interesting. Do you notice a significant playability between the Santa Cruz and the Guild when you play them, Wood?

Setup and fit is SO important, and when trying to turn kids on to the instrument it's totally worth getting that right for them. Anyway, that's awesome, Wood.

By the way, I learned on a nylon folk instrument, and that had the advantage of a wide (flat) fretboard and nylon strings. I'm not sure I would've kept at it if it wasn't so easy to play!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's interesting. Do you notice a significant playability between the Santa Cruz and the Guild when you play them, Wood?

Setup and fit is SO important, and when trying to turn kids on to the instrument it's totally worth getting that right for them. Anyway, that's awesome, Wood.

By the way, I learned on a nylon folk instrument, and that had the advantage of a wide (flat) fretboard and nylon strings. I'm not sure I would've kept at it if it wasn't so easy to play!

i think nylon classical is a good idea, is what i learned on too.
the Cruz has a fatter neck and i think the lower bout is a touch deeper but i never measured it. but it was a marked difference to her.

yes, i got to get the cruz set up

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
right on Chaz. i just like it when you string up first time with a different set and you are like, whoa! now those sound nice.

even better, my teenage daughter finally, finally, wanted to learn some guitar. totally out of the blue. she played a G chord, was the easiest for her to play for whatever reason. she first started with the Cruz, but was having trouble chording anything. I hand her the Br:

"Wow, hey this is smaller and easier to hold and play. I can see why you like it so much Dad".

:)
Great on daughter out of the blue taking up guitar - if she likes old country, teach her Okee From Muschokee (spelling) Merle Haggard "G" and "D" I think will get her through it

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great on daughter out of the blue taking up guitar - if she likes old country, teach her Okee From Muschokee (spelling) Merle Haggard "G" and "D" I think will get her through it

yeah Stu, the chords she seems most barely able to play are G, E major, and that about it, maybe a one finger barre A :)
C is tough...

i will keep at it and try again tonight.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
yeah Stu, the chords she seems most barely able to play are G, E major, and that about it, maybe a one finger barre A :)
C is tough...

i will keep at it and try again tonight.

What great situation to be in!

Just a thought - If she can do E major, show her Am, same shape. Then go to the C chord from Am.

Also, she'll be able to play the "easy" versions of probably a thousand songs with just those chords - especially if she can get the D chord working! Assuming you know what kind of music she likes, go online and show her how to play some songs she already knows and loves - she'll be hooked!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What great situation to be in!

Just a thought - If she can do E major, show her Am, same shape. Then go to the C chord from Am.

Also, she'll be able to play the "easy" versions of probably a thousand songs with just those chords - especially if she can get the D chord working! Assuming you know what kind of music she likes, go online and show her how to play some songs she already knows and loves - she'll be hooked!

walrus

good callout Walrus!
i told her also i would print out some chording pics as it was hard to show from my guitar to hers. she is wicked book smart so that should work.

G, E, Am Em, C, D is a toughy :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
E--E7--Em good finger exercise but I always practice better if there is an actual song I am learning. Praise her efforts-we all are at different locations on the "learning" guitar ladder and no shortcuts to learning to play. Correct repetition and lots of it.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
E--E7--Em good finger exercise but I always practice better if there is an actual song I am learning. Praise her efforts-we all are at different locations on the "learning" guitar ladder and no shortcuts to learning to play. Correct repetition and lots of it.

+1.

walrus

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
right on Chaz. i just like it when you string up first time with a different set and you are like, whoa! now those sound nice.:)

Hello

When I bought my little Gibson LG-2 - 3/4 sometimes late -81? in Minneapolis - I was working at James Berns Music and had unlimited cheap access to strings. For one week I tried a new set every day - only to end up with Guild Phosphor Bronze. . . . .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

When I bought my little Gibson LG-2 - 3/4 sometimes late -81? in Minneapolis - I was working at James Berns Music and had unlimited cheap access to strings. For one week I tried a new set every day - only to end up with Guild Phosphor Bronze. . . . .

which is really D'Addario PB lights EJ16.

great story man, every day, that is cool. i will aspire to that :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have no intention of forgiving you. You knew EXACTLY what you were doing. Furthermore I am too stupid to figure out whether you were actually saying something new or just rehashing the same old opinions.

Two points for the veer to your daughter playing though.

:) :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Exactly - the veer happened just in time! :encouragement:

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Me neither.
However the groundhog didn't show as it kinda turned into a chord/teaching thread.
So we good. For now. :tranquillity:
I'm laughing my a$$ off!!! Do y'all know how many different strings I try? But it's MY OPINION in the end that decides what I stick with. I love those D'Addario 80/20 with the coating on them.... Bright and responsive and they last a long time but the thing is...... I TRY STRINGS. I make my own decisions because what EYE hear is not what you hear. So I'm back to GHS Bright Bronze. Those are still my faves. But when people keep looking for that PERFECT tennis racket..... you know it doesn't matter. It's not gonna make you a better player. What do you like to hear? Try different things. No one else has your ears...... get it, babe???

I sent you some strings and you were like .... "Uhm kinda okay." What are you looking for? No One Knows......... BUT YOU!!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No honestly, my friend Suzanne (not the one who takes you down to the river) came over with her friend Ron. He had an Alvarez dread and for real.... it wasn't bad. But he was fussing that it was hard to play. So I shoved a whole bunch of guitar in his hands and said, "Is this better?" Well it sounds better but it's still hard for me to hit these notes. So I said, look when did you buy this? 4 years ago. Have you ever had new strings on it. "Well, no......" So I said, "Oh dear god......" So I changed his strings and showed him how to do it and he was very grateful. I asked, "Do you want mellow and subdued, or bright and chimey?" He went for mellow.

Woody, after all this time..... why are we worrying about your f**king strings?? WHY??

Sorry didn't mean to be a bitch but, just change strings and get what you like and keep on keeping on........

Much love, Tom :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement: