Forgive the string post....I know Pascal, I know what I said a couple years ago...

Antney

Reaction score
Tom, take your meds

I love string talk. FWIW I’ve been nursing the same set of elixirs for 8 months

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No honestly, my friend Suzanne (not the one who takes you down to the river) came over with her friend Ron. He had an Alvarez dread and for real.... it wasn't bad. But he was fussing that it was hard to play. So I shoved a whole bunch of guitar in his hands and said, "Is this better?" Well it sounds better but it's still hard for me to hit these notes. So I said, look when did you buy this? 4 years ago. Have you ever had new strings on it. "Well, no......" So I said, "Oh dear god......" So I changed his strings and showed him how to do it and he was very grateful. I asked, "Do you want mellow and subdued, or bright and chimey?" He went for mellow.

Woody, after all this time..... why are we worrying about your f**king strings?? WHY??

Sorry didn't mean to be a bitch but, just change strings and get what you like and keep on keeping on........

Much love, Tom :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Oh, God, I'm LMAO! Now THAT's a veer! :applause:

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
IF they were L350's; then they
had an .025 instead of an .024 "G"

Don't forget there were also M350's
:friendly_wink:

I wish D'Addario does what Martin does: a .54 big E string, a .25 G string.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I wish D'Addario does what Martin does: a .54 big E string, a .25 G string.
Those might be D'Addarios.......from the usual source:
"It is a family-owned and operated business that is one of the largest string manufacturers in the world, not only producing several lines of strings under their own brand names, but also making OEM strings for other musical instrument companies. "

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Woody, after all this time..... why are we worrying about your f**king strings?? WHY??

cute-prairie-dog-video-id456002725

Prairie Dog Pete says:
"Remember, only YOU can prevent string threads"

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Please teach her G using 2, 3, and 4. So much easier to slide into C. :wink:

Joe

thanks Joe, will do! I asked her if she wanted to do some chording last night, she said No. I will keep trying :).

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are so MANY strings out there and a lot of brands and coated vs uncoated. It's hard to have tried them all, but nice to read about other people's experiences. I might have tried brand A strings A but not what a forum posters has tried, but then they say, "These are warmer and deeper sounding that Brand A, String A", which is great because I already know what Brand A , String A sound like. Now I have empirical evidence to base my impression on. So much more helpful than, " These are my favorite strings ".

If Tom would like to send a a membership to his String of the Month club, where I can get news strings every 30 days, and only pay 1.99 and 10cents per pack after that....I'm all in ! ( Remember the Columbia House record and tape club ? )

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If Tom would like to send a a membership to his String of the Month club, where I can get news strings every 30 days, and only pay 1.99 and 10cents per pack after that....I'm all in ! ( Remember the Columbia House record and tape club ? )

i remember Columbia house. I had a friend that had that and got a new record or tape every month. it was awesome. that and sears robuck had to be the most successful early on subscription models going. they were historic. i remember my Dad telling me once you could buy a house from Sears magazine. and they would deliver all the pieces to assemble.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i remember my Dad telling me once you could buy a house from Sears magazine. and they would deliver all the pieces to assemble.
Yes. They were the Amazon of their day, but it wasn't a subscription model, like Columbia House, it was just a mail-order model.
They did cars, too.
(From the usual source, of course, of course. Oh waitaminnit that was a horse):
"The Sears retail chain marketed vehicles made by the Lincoln Motor Car Works under the name "Sears Motor Buggy" between 1908 and 1912. These horseless carriages were of the "high-wheeler" variety with large wagon-type wheels. Their high ground clearance was well-suited to muddy, wagon-rutted country roads. Customers were accustomed to mail-ordering through the Sears catalog, and the Sears Motor Buggy could be delivered to the nearest railroad siding."
In fact they even did 'em twice:
"The Allstate is a badge engineered version of the Henry J American automobile that was offered for sale through Sears, Roebuck during the 1952 and 1953 model years."
1952-allstate.jpg

NOT a bad-lookin' piece for 1952.
And much like our own favorite guitar brand, coincidentally founded in the same year, not without an enduring fan base of performance enthusiasts:
HENRYjOCT075.jpg

hmmmm......1952......musta been sumthin' in the air.....
ff8ec0cb6ab880ad7ba35c53b4ef9871.jpg

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
Please teach her G using 2, 3, and 4. So much easier to slide into C. :wink:

That's how I finger my G, too!! Or 2, 3, 4 (B string 3rd fret), 5. I don't know if I can even do the 3, 4, 5 fingering anymore, although that's how I first learned it. Your suggestion opens up a world of possibilities for jumping to other chords.

jcwu

Reaction score
That's how I finger my G, too!! Or 2, 3, 4 (B string 3rd fret), 5. I don't know if I can even do the 3, 4, 5 fingering anymore, although that's how I first learned it. Your suggestion opens up a world of possibilities for jumping to other chords.

I just realized, I think I got my numbers wrong. *blush*

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
i remember my Dad telling me once you could buy a house from Sears magazine. and they would deliver all the pieces to assemble.

In some markets those houses actually command a premium when they come up for sale today.

Sometimes they are called "Sears Craftsman" homes but I can find nothing definitive that says the "craftsman" architectural style was named after the Sears homes. The other direction is more likely.