Updated news re Gibson...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like for all intents & purposes, Henry J is no longer running the show.

Perhaps this is a sign of some creative muscles being allowed to flex.

Possible, but there's a very long lead time in most cases when new models are designed, manufactured, and distributed.

bobouz

Reaction score
Possible, but there's a very long lead time in most cases when new models are designed, manufactured, and distributed.

Good point, but I wonder how long it's actually been since HJ was pushed to the sidelines?

Regardless, imho these two new product lines are a welcome addition. The Studio J-45 seems like a particularly good deal at $1499: Solid spruce top, solid walnut back & sides, mahogany neck, walnut fingerboard & bridge, nitro finish, & dovetail neck joint.

bobouz

Reaction score
I actually like the striped stuff too. For a fretboard, it might be a little distracting to have black and white grain, but I've had some very figured rosewoods as fretboards and never had anything but great love for them.

I have a couple of Martins from the early 2000s with striped ebony boards & bridges. Both are mostly black, with periodic hints of dark brown - no light colored streaks whatsoever. Beautiful stuff!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...The Studio J-45 seems like a particularly good deal at $1499...

Kind of an odd entry. Very close in spec and (early) price as the J-15, which got near universally great reviews. Are J-15s still offered? Their price sure went up!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Trust will come slowly but will come if Gibson markets a quality guitar? They must realize the guitars will not get a "pass" just because of the name and buyers will look with searching eyes.

bobouz

Reaction score
Kind of an odd entry. Very close in spec and (early) price as the J-15, which got near universally great reviews. Are J-15s still offered? Their price sure went up!

Yes, it's rather strange. The J-15 remains in the lineup, but now with a higher price tag.

The only significant difference on the J-45 Studio is the mahogany neck.