42 years young

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend and I bought our Guilds the same year, 1976. His Tobacco Sunburst D-35 on the left, my D-25M on the right, photo taken just a few weeks ago on my deck when we got together and jammed.

reekDrO.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My friend and I bought our Guilds the same year, 1976. His Tobacco Sunburst D-35 on the left, my D-25M on the right, photo taken just a few weeks ago on my deck when we got together and jammed.

Nice! Would have liked to join that jam!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great photo! "Made to be Played", indeed!

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that is really like the quintessential Guild photo. publication worthy! also that pair is looking quite creammy. that is my #1 favorite sunburst they did on anything with a spruce top, by far.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, they were both bought new, at different music stores in town.

And mav, that is the old "Tobacco Sunburst."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's the back side view:

o7RMXXm.jpg

About this time, maybe a couple years earlier, the D-25 became the D-35 (flat back, spruce top, upgraded to enclosed tuners) and the D-25 became arched back, spruce top, kept the open gear tuners. Both have decal headstocks.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
About this time, maybe a couple years earlier, the D-25 became the D-35 (flat back, spruce top, upgraded to enclosed tuners) and the D-25 became arched back, spruce top, kept the open gear tuners. Both have decal headstocks.

Hey Dread,

You need to read that over once more!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's the back side view:

o7RMXXm.jpg

Dread: In fact the D25 and D35 were introduced in the same year, 1968 according to Hans' book, and the D35 was always a flat-backed spruce top version.
The evolution of the D25 to the spruce-topped archback started when they added the arched back to the hog 'topped guitars by at least '73, then started using spruce tops on the archbacks by '74 at latest.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I mis-stated that whole D-35 thing. What I was trying to say is that by the time the D-25's went to spruce-tops I think the only differences on the D-35 was a flat back and enclosed tuners. I think.

But then, as Hans also pointed out to me, it appears my D-25 has a bigger bridge than the D-35...

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool picture lots of memories , where’s the beer ?