1980s D50-NT

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and just looking for some advice.

I have had a 1987 D-50 NT for 20 years, and have never played another guitar that sounds so good.
It is full and loud, and when plugged in it can easily silence a packed bar.
Recently had a complete setup with bridge doctor, and now plays better than ever.

Recently, I came across a 1982 D-50 NT that wasn't cheap, but I really wanted a second because I play in alternate tunings.
I probably overpaid a little bit for the 1982, and it has needed a neck reset and a bridge doctor, but now it plays amazing.

My question is this:
For not being a great guitar player, I sometimes have remorse about spending money on guitars, but now they make me want to play more for sure.
But if I ever gave it up, does the bridgework and neck reset affect the value of the guitar long-term?
The luthier is the best around here and was highly recommended.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome Michael and you have just jumped into, not only a Guild but multiple brand, guitar forum. My answer is you have helped the value of the 1982 D50. It might bring a little less than a 1982 that doesn't need the neck reset and bridge doctor but to a player, "no."

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, a buyer would certainly prefer a guitar that has had a neck reset as opposed to one that needs a neck reset. And most all will need a neck reset at some point.

I'm not so sure about the bridge doctor....

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I had a late 80s D50 and it's one that I wish I still had, but that's from an older thread. Something about the one's that got away or something like that.

I'm a fan of the Bridge Doctor and it does what it's supposed to do, and if a potential buyer objects, it can be removed. Everything is in the eyes and ears, not to mention the hands of the beholder.
If you have the wherewithal to indulge your passions, do what works for YOU!

Cheers,
Joe

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Having recently shopped for and bought a vintage Guild ('65 F30), I can say that, all things considered, prices for those that had a neck reset were generally higher than those that didn't. The conventional wisdom being that they would all need a reset at some point.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Michael!
Well, a buyer would certainly prefer a guitar that has had a neck reset as opposed to one that needs a neck reset. And most all will need a neck reset at some point.
The only "qualifier" I'd add there, is that past discussions of that exact question ("Does the repair add value?") show that there are some of us who would rather pay the discounted price for an instrument needing work, so that we can have the work done by a luthier of our own choosing, and according to our own schedule of affordability.
So it actually depends on a given buyer's preference.

I'm not so sure about the bridge doctor....
If we're talking about buyer acceptance, I'd say a similar philosophy will be in place, if it's the version that used the brass pin bridge pin.
The less invasive version will probably get wider acceptance in a used instrument.
My memory of majority opinion here is that they're worth their price when properly installed, but they're not a true cure for the need for a re-set.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
The only "qualifier" I'd add there, is that past discussions of that exact question ("Does the repair add value?") show that there are some of us who would rather pay the discounted price for an instrument needing work, so that we can have the work done by a luthier of our own choosing, and according to our own schedule of affordability.
So it actually depends on a given buyer's preference.

Totally agree, in my recent shopping experience, "Resetted" Hoboken era F30s were generally $500-$600 more than "Non-resetted" ones, and sellers were using this as a selling point. Like you say, the buyer ultimately decides if he wants to pay a premium for a guitar that's already had the work done. So to the OPs original question, it would seem that a reset would add value for buyers looking for a "turnkey" purchase, at least in the case of older vintage guitars where resets are somewhat inevitable.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, sounds like you have a bad case of GAS (Guild Acquisition Syndrome.) We encourage that kind of thinking around here!

I agree with killdeer, if it's working for you, rock on!

Hopefully you can share some photos of these two rosewood beauties...

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....some of us... would rather pay the discounted price for an instrument needing work, so that we can have the work done by a luthier of our own choosing....

Right. Good point.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a D35 with a Bridge Doctor...sounds great!

zXqihB.jpg

I never think about it, I just play it. :cool:

Joe

stormin1155

Reaction score
I will echo what others have been saying, that with very few exceptions, a guitar that plays well with work done to it is worth more than one that doesn't play well and needs work. I recently bought a 1972 D-35 that has had a neck reset, and some top cracks repaired, and I am glad that work has already been done.

As for the bridge doctor... that seems to stir up a lot of controversy. Some like them, some hate them. My experience, having installed (and removed) several, is that they DO change the sound of the guitar. Whether it is for the better or worse, is a question of opinion. Again, if they do what they are supposed to, stop and/or reverse top warping, which may reduce the need for a neck reset or other structural repair, that is usually preferable to a guitar with severe belly-bulge and in need of a neck reset.

Oh, and one more thing... welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your second D-50. We'd sure like to see pictures of both of them. (Ooops, I guess that was three more things....)