Concorde Flight 4590

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Arrogance"?....... meaning pressing technological progress forward = Arrogance?.... or is it just the British accent?
I think he might of been referring to some of the fateful decisions made by the Captain of flight 4590...

I recall seeing the news announcement/video sitting at breakfast with my wife... Horrifying.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think he might of been referring to some of the fateful decisions made by the Captain of flight 4590...
Gotcha.
With hindsight, it is understood that there was "negligence" on the part of several parties, from the maintenance crew (airplane & ground) to the captain and co pilot.
Always leaves a strong feeling of frustration when you realize a tragedy such as that one should have never happened.
And boy, do I remember this vividly.... I always have a thought for these folks when landing or taking off from "De Gaulle", looking down to the area where this hotel once stood.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotcha.
With hindsight, it is understood that there was "negligence" on the part of several parties, from the maintenance crew (airplane & ground) to the captain and co pilot.
Always leaves a strong feeling of frustration when you realize a tragedy such as that one should have never happened.
And boy, do I remember this vividly.... I always have a thought for these folks when landing or taking off from "De Gaulle", looking down to the area where this hotel once stood.

Totally agree Pascal. Much like 9/11, I remember that like it was yesterday.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did not know that it is usually a combination of several / many things that cause these crashes. That is eye-opening. What is especially scary to me is that these flight crews were supposed to be the cream of the crop. How could there have been so much poor judgement?

In any case, it's really somber to re-live this, especially on 9/11. Thanks for posting it, Gary.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's heartbreaking.

Saw the Concorde once: Sitting at home in the summer with the windows open I thought I was hearing a formation of F-4 Phantoms flying over the house. I ran out to see it was a Concorde in the pattern for PHL.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo the poor judgement comes from complacency and over confidence. Maintenance & repair activities have documented specific sequences, signoffs and reviews. Doing the work now "because I know how it goes together" and documenting it later easily results in a missing part. I am sure the pilot believed he could compensate for the CoG offset and extra weight and perhaps he could have without the other errors. What he did not realize is he used all his safety margin and more. The result is disastrous. And sad.....

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yes. Going beyond the max fuel. Overiding safety measures. Adding more weight.