Silk and Phosphor vs Steel and Silk

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is really exciting.
I didn't think I could get excited over another string thread, but it is amazing how sometimes life really surprises you. :)

You need to get out more.
:biggrin-new:
Joking aside, yes, I will experiment with my F65ce, maybe even the D25.
Russ's input put me over the top.
NO that's not an earthquake it's just a freight train going by.....
BUT Chaz, try to get out this weekend, 'kay?
Or put some silk'n'steel or bronze on your JF30-12 this weekend since that's what they came with in '87.
Let us know how it goes, we won't let you slack off on this.
:friendly_wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to get out more.
:biggrin-new:
Joking aside, yes, I will experiment with my F65ce, maybe even the D25.
Russ's input put me over the top.
NO that's not an earthquake it's just a freight train going by.....
BUT Chaz, try to get out this weekend, 'kay?
Or put some silk'n'steel or bronze on your JF30-12 this weekend since that's what they came with in '87.
Let us know how it goes, we won't let you slack off on this.
:friendly_wink:
I do, I do!

Problem is, I've got many other sets of strings that I need to burn through before I start buying any more. Well, there's that and the fact that I'm completely house poor that are getting in my way. :)

Slik and PB strings are now on my list, though.

The F-65ce is kind of a thin body, and I wouldn't try silk on that one, but the D-25 will probably work really well with these, Al.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My D-25 really comes alive with DA PB Bluegrass/Mediums.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My D-25 really comes alive with DA PB Bluegrass/Mediums.
Right, but it's possible in '76 it was built to handle mediums and came with 'em.
A '96 was shipped with lights and even if I wanted to stress the neck joint, I just don't like that much tension.
I've only ever strayed from the Guild L350's* maybe 5 times when experimenting, I like DA Pb's too.
Recently I tuned down a whole step based on Marcellis' suggestion and sustain is great and bass actually sounds better too, but intonation gets a tiny bit wonky.
So have been thinking of other methods of achieving a real nice feel and toning down jangle while still using standard tuning, especially for the F65ce which was the one he originally suggested trying it on, after doing it on his.
Interestingly, the D40 packs plenty of punch and records well at standard tuning and I'm not too interested in experimenting with it.
I think it has to be the flat back.
The D25, a whole step down, can be heard here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...now-What-I-Want-No-More&p=1815414#post1815414

*I use D'A EJ-16 and sub in their .025 single G to exactly duplicate the L350 gauge set of 1996.
I'll continue to use 'em on the D40 while I experiment with the D25 and F65ce.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The F-65ce is kind of a thin body, and I wouldn't try silk on that one, but the D-25 will probably work really well with these, Al.

It's 'cause it's maple and I'm getting hyper-aware of the jangle on the girlfriend's cellphone vids.
Not too worried about volume, it's got an arched back and never really gave up much to the dreads.
I've actually been running it a whole step down for the last few months, see my comments to Dreadnut in the reply above about what I'm really hoping to "find".
PS the F65ce was originally shipped with extra light .010's as it was, so don't think the slightly lower tension will hit it hard.

Last edited: