How High Is Your Action?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have found that a tad over 3/32" works well for my mix of strumming and picking. I generally shoot for about 0.105", but the range on my 5 dreads is about 0.095" to 0.110" (measured with StewMacs gauge, which is marked in increments of 0.005").

On the other hand, the action at the first fret on my dreads is lower than most luthiers/techs would set... I take them as low as I can w/o buzzing when open, or back buzzing when fretted. When capoed between frets 2 & 3, there is only the tiniest gap between the string and the top of the 1st fret for strings 4-6, an almost imperceptible gap beneath the 3rd string, and strings 1 & 2 are just barely touch the top of the 1st fret. It works for me...

stormin1155

Reaction score
My D-35 is at 4/64 and 3/64", which works well on that guitar, most of my other acoustics are 5/64 and 4/64".

guitarjesus

Reaction score
So I'm a bit high. .125" on the low E and .09375 on the high e. It could be a bit lower, but not sure if I just want to adjust to it and see what gives. I haven't been playing much the last 2 weeks since the baby was born, too busy!

Br1ck

Reaction score
Discuss with who did the reset. If you think it's high, it's high, within reason. No reason to have a neck reset and still have action higher than you'd like.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
For me, if the low E @ 12th fret is does not exceed .10", everything else generally works fine.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All of mine are in different tunings and also different string heights. if it's a small difference I just adjust my playing a bit. But if that doesn't work , then i gotta change string heights. And you gotta look at the height at the nut and the height at 12th. Then you work from there. Also there are ways to check your truss rod adjustment, which is not used to adjust string height, although it may have a small affect on the action.
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html

This is a really broad range of information but it's some of the best. Peruse the topics and find the information you need.

It's a GREAT resource!!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So I'm a bit high. .125" on the low E and .09375 on the high e. It could be a bit lower, but not sure if I just want to adjust to it and see what gives. I haven't been playing much the last 2 weeks since the baby was born, too busy!
Great on the baby! Your guitars will take a distant second in your priorities and should you be blessed enough to have a grandchild or grandchildren some day, you will try to figure out which guitar to give them. Ha

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Great on the baby! Your guitars will take a distant second in your priorities and should you be blessed enough to have a grandchild or grandchildren some day, you will try to figure out which guitar to give them. Ha

I have them at 17, 14, 11, 3, and 2 weeks. Hopefully grandchildren are at least 10 years off!

billymox

Reaction score
I just want my guitars set up with action as low as it can be, so that when tuned 1/2 note down to D#, that I don't get any buzzing all the way up the fretboard, playing medium playing fingerpicking. Some fret buzz when using a strong pick is ok. This pretty much guarantees no buzzing when strings are tightened to standard tuning. I only tune to D# for 2 songs I play. The exact measurements to attain the above goals vary from 1 guitar to the next, and from season to season, and with aging of the guitar (natural neck warp), usage of the guitar (fret ware), geographic location (humidity).

Last edited: