Thoughts on factory 2nd F-130???

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Looking at a used one. Is the second a horrible thing on the GADs? Since it’s an all solid wood I assume these should still be decent little guitars. I’m looking at trying something smaller bodied than a dreadnaught. Wish I could afford an F-30, but it’ll be a long time. Appreciate all your knowledge!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only warning I pass along to folks looking at seconds is for some of the "Contemporary" series guitars that were sold through reclamation (MIRC) when Tacoma closed down in 2008. Technically, those aren't "seconds" since they weren't sold by Guild, but people often gang them in together. In the case of the Contemporaries, Guild released those guitars and they probably should've been bandsawed.

Other products at other times were sold through reclamation and by most/all accounts those are great values and were never a problem. Back when they were almost new, we used to tell people that seconds and reclaims should be bought at substantially reduced prices from new... However, as the years have passed, any real stigmas about most of these guitars have passed if the guitars have held up well. That's really the test, right?

That being said, there isn't much experience (here, on LTG) with second MIC guitars. At least, I recall hearing very little here. As such, you will probably not get an informed opinion from the gang. Maybe I'm wrong. :)

Good luck, GuN.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like my F-130R. I find myself grabbing it when my right shoulder says "no more jumbos or dreadnoughts." If the problem is cosmetic and the price is right, I'd grab it. Price is key here - a couple of online retailers were blowing them out at $399 recently.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
only if the reason for the "2nd" status is a cosmetic blem.

IMO our experience with MIA Guilds that have not been through MIRC has been that the vast majority for factory seconds were seconds for cosmetic reasons. My memory of the collective experience is that we have discussed less than five MIA, non-MIRC seconds that had a 'functional' defect. I'd still make the effort to find out why something was a second but I wouldn't expect a functional issue on a MIA instrument. YMMV

Since this is a MIC instrument everything I said may be irrelevant, but I should add that if it is a dealer sale, a floor sample or demo model may be sold as a second. The only thing wrong is that it had enough playing time to no longer be sold as new.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Since this is a MIC instrument everything I said may be irrelevant

I've seen a few Chinese made acoustic Guilds that weren't seconds develop structural problems they really shouldn't have. I'd steer clear of any MIC ones that have any kind of non-cosmetic defect from the get go.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few Chinese made acoustic Guilds that weren't seconds develop structural problems they really shouldn't have. I'd steer clear of any MIC ones that have any kind of non-cosmetic defect from the get go.

Walter, am I correct in remembering you actually work in a music store?
If so, I think that's handy for the OP to know since you've probably seen more examples of the line than the average member here.
Another thing for Guildupnorth to be aware of is that repairability of certain things on these guitars is problematic at best.
Even Cordoba in Oxnard has demonstrated lack of familiarity with GAD parts and has shipped incorrect parts to members due to that.
I don't think they actually have GAD parts given that issue.
I recall one member (Cutrofiano) who was assured he was getting the correct bridge for his GADF150 twice and the pin spacing was wrong both times.
Even when new, the warranty remedy for these was normally replacement, since Fender considered that to be more cost-effective than actual repair.
"Read between those lines": Limited (if any) parts in country, if you're considering that a good price might justify potential repair costs down the road.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like a natural top and a sunburst on reverb, but I'm not sure what pictures it's showing me. The natural looks like there might be a blem of darker spots on the fretboard right ahead of the bridge under strings 2 and 3. Not sure if I'm looking at what you bought.

Anyway, congrats, GuN. Keep us posted.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks good, tuners on the back side look a little off also but has that as well no biggy .

If it didn’t go through MIRC wonder where it did as the label is scratched off and it has the used stamp on the back of the head stock ? I only ask because
my Om-120 I bought blemished has none of that , interesting .

Looks like a nice guitar congrats . :) as always audio ! Lol

Last edited:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Thank you! I am thinking somebody foolishly assumed the MIRC serial number sticker would come off and tried. Sadly, will never know what year it is now! No bother though, as long as it sounds like it should it’ll be made to be played and loved!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I went ahead on this one....

Darn that reverb! Why the heck don't they show items that sold instead of redirecting to "you might like one of these instead..."?

Anyway, congrats UpNorth! Sounds like you got a great deal!

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
No worries, I’ll do an NGD post with pics when I get it! Excited....only wish is that it was an F-30, but hey....enjoy what you have, right?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darn that reverb! Why the heck don't they show items that sold instead of redirecting to "you might like one of these instead..."?

Anyway, congrats UpNorth! Sounds like you got a great deal!

Cough you can still all the info at least on mobile , under the “this item has sold “ is info just select read more and just click on the pics they’ll open up .