I Hate When That Happens

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And it happens often. I had a guy come over today to check out my Martins J 40, HD 28, CEO 4 and others. I'm telling you this fella was spectacular and better than many of the known stars I've seen throughout the years. Just makes me want to fold up the tent and go home. He absolutely fell in love with my Martins D 45 and J 65M but that's a lot of cash to dish out all at once. He'll be back in the next year or two I think to pick up at least one of them if not both.

Anyway, I know I'm not a great guitar player, likely not even a good one but this drives the message home loud and clear.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That happens to me, too. Just when I think I'm making progress, I see someone significantly better than I am. But hopefully you caught a few techniques from him you could use!

walrus

F312

Reaction score
Now come on Richard, I've heard you say these things before, I bet you're better than you think. It can be frustrating trying to be the best, that's where improvising comes in.

Ralph

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I came out of Tommy Emmanuel and Andy McKee concerts with a binary choice: Practice obsessively or burn all of my guitars.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
but then you eventually get home, take out your Guild, and just enjoy playing and doing your own thing, not worrying about playing how they play, cause it doesn't matter. you are the one playing your guitar (s). :)

on the other hand, i chose to never ever learn one song from Kottke. I saw him play live and just knew that was nothing I was able to do. and i was totally ok with that. it was a relief.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd like to encourage you that it's not about your skill level as compared to someone else; it's about having fun.

My son used to say: "You're one of the best guitar players, Dad." He was obviously easily entertained. I told him "There are a million guitar players out there better than I am, but the important thing is that nobody has more fun than me."

Still on my trek to international rock stardom...

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

I remember when I first saw Stanley Jordan play double hand tapping - I thought "This is it! I´m no good!" - later I have played a lot - realizing, that no matter how good one gets, there will allways be a better - sooner or later. So I learned to be content where I am - but still trying to learn and improve.

And most important - like dreadnut said - have fun - enjoy.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but then you eventually get home, take out your Guild, and just enjoy playing and doing your own thing, not worrying about playing how they play, cause it doesn't matter. you are the one playing your guitar (s). :)

One of the biggest rewards of writing your own stuff is that nobody else ever plays it better than you.
:highly_amused:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the biggest rewards of writing your own stuff is that nobody else ever plays it better than you.

I can imagine many that would play my humble writings better - perhaps not quite like they "were meant to be" - but better.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooo many talented musicians who travel the road of obscurity. Timing is a major factor and maybe the talented person chooses a different lifestyle than musical success brings.
I have a 76 year old musician friend who could/has never gotten away from music long enough to hold down a regular job. He lives on less than $800 a month and is, perfectly, happy. Maybe he is the smart one. His voice would match many "stars" but not much initiative and never made his break. He plays and sings at local clubs, retirement homes, and charities. His name is Larry Sullivan. Worth a listen IMHO - just Google Larry Sullivan American Trilogy. I pay him to make me CDs of old country star's music.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Music isn't a competition. Relax and enjoy it.

Well said. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. And learning new songs, chords, riffs, etc. keeps your brain sharp - at my age I can use all the help I can get!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ah, Bruce, you are man of some perception and opportunity!

2uWcIbP.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Actually the classic music genre, at least, is full of stories about composers who were either not technically competent to play their own compositions or there were other performers who could do a better job. In most cases the compositions had enough merit that they had been published before public performances by the non-composer.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Of course it's all about having fun. No argument there.

It just happened again. A fella stopped in to try out my Martin D 28. (he ended up buying it) He was also just an exceptional picker. The guy yesterday was likely a bit better but this guy was a really good player. It's likely like this all over the country but we have been blessed in NE Michigan with some truly fine players. I love hearing these guys play.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well - if it´s any consolation - you can hope they´re going to good homes.

And yes - my playing brings joy to me - I´m happy. The others are happy when I play alone . . .

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I'm going to play one of my compositions next Monday at a local mic. Can't wait! My son and his spouse are visiting from Portland, Oregon. That's what it's all about, no?