Ngd: 1979/80 f112 sb

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Her name is Natalie, after brunette bombshell Natalie Wood. The headstock s/n FF100194 indicates she is from late 1979, but the completion date on the inside states OCT 10 1980. Unfortunately, there is no inside label. The finish is a darker (tobacco) sunburst. It is very good overall but with a couple blemishes and one nasty Voldemort scar on the front lower bout dark area that I may take care of at some point. No serious buckle rash. No cracks. Just got her back from the spa and had the cracked nut replaced, frets touched up and a good set up done. She is a fine player now with very good action and a warm tone.

Being a small bodied 12-string it is very comfortable to play, which given my arthritis and shoulder problems was my goal and is a wonderful relief. I took some quick measurements, but let me know if something doesn’t seem right and I’ll double check. The neck is 1-13/16 wide at the nut with a relatively flat profile. The lower bout is 15-1/4 across, which is less than the 15-3/8 I expected for this time frame. The upper is 11-1/8 with a 9-1/2 waist. Depth wise it is 5 at the lower to 4 at the upper.

How does she sound? I will say right off that being primarily a strummer it does not have the low end I prefer. I did expect this based on feedback from other players, but I was “hoping” it might have more. The sound is a bit boxy when strummed in my usual way. However... what I am learning with Natalie is that “less is more.” If I strum less hard the clarity is much better. If I am more deliberate with the bass notes before finishing the strum, she begins to sing. If I pick around individual strings within a chord and give more meaning to each note the sound blossoms. With a clean strum the notes resonate forever. So, this means I have to adjust my touch to better fit this guitar. I need to learn how to play a little differently than I am used to – which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Bottom line for me is that this F112 allows me to play much longer than on a jumbo, which is exactly what I needed. It also encourages me to vary my playing style and experiment to let the strengths of the guitar shine. The cons are that I do miss the bass and punch of a larger bodied 12. I can see possibly re-acquiring another in the future. I don’t know if that will be a 212 which might have a little more oomph or a jumbo that I can play for a song or two when I really want a big, ruckusy sound. But for now Natalie and I are just going to spend a little quality time and get to know one another. :couple_inlove:

The pics aren't the best off my phone but here you go.

5s4pYe3.jpg

nDsor3V.jpg

NDYP0Mw.jpg

j5vhil8.jpg

3mVnH50.jpg

ALr3SIG.jpg

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It is so nice to find a guitar that gives you that enthusiasm back. That is a beautiful Tobacco Burst and happy you find it easier on your shoulder and Arthritis. Play on!!!!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is beautiful! Congrats :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thats a great score. with a set up after a long while and new strings give it some time, and like u said less is more, u dont have to play so aggressive to get her to sing. also, not sure what gauge strings u have but try 9s (as opposed to 10s) on this girl (in standard tuning). congrats again! beautiful Guild

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
might be the nicest F112 i ever seen. Love the burst. great job!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
How does she sound? I will say right off that being primarily a strummer it does not have the low end I prefer. I did expect this based on feedback from other players, but I was “hoping” it might have more. The sound is a bit boxy when strummed in my usual way. However... what I am learning with Natalie is that “less is more.” If I strum less hard the clarity is much better. If I am more deliberate with the bass notes before finishing the strum, she begins to sing. If I pick around individual strings within a chord and give more meaning to each note the sound blossoms. With a clean strum the notes resonate forever. So, this means I have to adjust my touch to better fit this guitar. I need to learn how to play a little differently than I am used to – which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Bravo, bravo, bravo!
I needed to do the same thing with my F65ce.
Over time it became my "go-to" for the ease of play (comfortability) factor.
And second what Mavuser said about string gauges, be sure they're not "too strong for the top".
That can actually choke off some tone, since if the top is "too tight" at rest due to string tension, it can't vibrate at its optimum when strummed.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks good, Mikey! Love that tobacco burst. I've got an OM-size Martin 12er, and while she's certainly not a jumbo, and doesn't have the low end of a jumbo, she's still got some tone to her and is just fun to play. Congrats with Natalie and have fun with her!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone. This forum really helped me figure out what I needed. It is a treasure trove of excellent information and opinion. Special thanks to those who reached out and gave me advice on what to look for in a small body 12.

I know that its only been a week and I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but WOW! It sounded good before but I can already tell within the last day or two that she is really starting to open up. Maybe its just me getting used to playing it but the tone sounds warmer and for lack of a better term, richer. This guitar is really a pleasure to play. So easy moving up and down the neck. I can just noodle around and lose myself in the sound. The only Guild 12 I've played recently for any amount of time that I can compare was my new 2512. Since sold. It was also very easy to play, and except for the body size was a good guitar. However, the tone really didn't WOW me like this F112 does. Maybe its the all-wood, or real Hog, or age, or bracing, or all of the above which gives it the tone. I don't know, but what ever it is this is definitely something very special.

I hope the honeymoon never ends.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I want to buy a hard case for Natalie instead of using the chipboard case, but am not sure what to get. Lower 15-1/4, upper 11-1/8, waist 9-1/2, depth 4-7/8 max.

Based on the dimensions it looks like I need a Guild Grand Orchestra, but that only comes as the premium $190 Alligator case. The standard hard case comes in OM, which looks too small or Dred which looks slightly large. Other than the current new cases, which model older Guild case would fit an F112. Last option would be a decent generic brand.

Suggestions?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a Guild dread case should do it. i have a couple spares if u are interested. there will be a little extra room but the way it fits it just works

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats that is a good looking guitar . I have the six string model in my head as a possible buy.

Boxy ? Not what I expected from the body depth . Non scalloped braces ?

On the bass side as one who primarily plays orchestra models I look at bass a tad differently and in my case I just say it’s brighter crisp and clear . It tends to sound out better when listening back to a recording but one must be careful given enough time these little guitars will grow on you lol

It makes sense to me that this model being a 12 would lean to the brighter side . Maybe experiment and take the octive strings off the low E and A or ( bring totally silly ) put bass strings on it hehehehe ... no don’t do that ! Lol

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
a Guild dread case should do it. i have a couple spares if u are interested. there will be a little extra room but the way it fits it just works

Hmmm. Yes. I have another maker dred case that is much larger, but I see the Guild dreds are a little smaller all around so might be Ok. Is there any quality difference between the US Humidifier-case and the GAD version? The dimensions look the same.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Yes. I have another maker dred case that is much larger, but I see the Guild dreds are a little smaller all around so might be Ok. Is there any quality difference between the US Humidifier-case and the GAD version? The dimensions look the same.

im not sure. i have one Guild dread case from the 90s that is pretty snug for a dread and fits F-112s pretty nice. i have another Guild dread case from Tacoma era that appears the same size but has a bit more room. a 12 fits in there too but better in the 90s case.

Br1ck

Reaction score
A friend's 77 is the best sounding 12 string I've heard. Yes, the wall of sound you are going to get with a F 412 is not there. That is the F 122s strength to me. My buddy does a bunch of Leo Kottke and with the F 112 you hear every note with clarity. No mush. And with the right Dazzo pickup in them, they will rock the bass when amplified.

I'm a big fan of small 12 strings, owning an 0 size Pono. But I'm for clarity above all.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
HeyMikey - are you bored with your '11 F-30 already? :chuncky:

This F112 is a beauty! That's two quick NGD's, you are really GASing!

walrus

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HeyMikey - are you bored with your '11 F-30 already? :chuncky:

This F112 is a beauty! That's two quick NGD's, you are really GASing!

walrus

No, not at all. I make sure to give them both equal amounts of love. These are a great size for me and both sound wonderful in their own way. Not bored at all! I was just refreshing my Oasis humidifiers and realized I need to get better housing for the F112 to make sure she stays safe. It came with a too large chipboard case that is just not good storage.

I'm still GASing but have a boss who can't understand why I need more than one guitar, so this is it for a while. I'm very happy with what I have and feel like I have all my bases covered. Though I would certainly be interested in a NH F30R and a F212, or even a big old F515 someday, and maybe a GAD F130R in place of the Alvarez, and a... Who knows? I guess I will need to find some new hiding places... :pirate:

Last edited: