NGD: A50... Hmmm

peashooterjw

Reaction score
Well... the year was 1996, and I was hanging out at my local music store. The owner walked out and said, "Since you're a Guild fan, take one of these," and handed me a 1996 catalog. I don't know how many times I read that thing, but the end result was an enduring desire to own an A50. 22 years later, I have one, and.... ehhh, it's OK. It's pretty, it's well-made. It plays nicely. The sound doesn't impress me though. That's what I kept reading, but I had to see for myself. I'm gonna try some different strings and see what happens.

(Owning an Orpheum 12 fret first MIGHT have raised my expectations. I keep forgetting that guitar isn't normal.)

stormin1155

Reaction score
You know the rules.... pictures or it didn't happen. Put some new strings on it and put 15-20 hours of playing on it, and see if it opens up a bit. I recently got a 1972 D-35. It sounded good when I bought it, but not great. After about 10 hours of playing, it's a different guitar. Guitars sometimes go into a "hibernation" mode if they are not played for awhile.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What year? Is this the A50 archtop? Or the later A50 flattop?
I'm sure he means the flattop, it was in the '96 catalog as he mentions, and this comment nailed it down for me:
"The sound doesn't impress me though. That's what I kept reading, but I had to see for myself"
I remember comments about less than satisfactory sound from those when I first came here, from at least one of the guys who worked in Westerly, no less.
It always puzzled me since those (and the 'hog body A25) were F30-sized guitars, and later on when I'd been around for a while I assumed they were supposed to be filling that slot at the time.
Lo and behold they only lasted a couple of years and the F30 was reintroduced.
Can't imagine why they should have fizzled, maybe they had different bracing or something?
And there was one guy in England who loved his A50, but his name escapes me now.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Getting a full & satisfying sound out of a small box is tricky business. It seems like all facets of the instrument need to be at their optimum, without much margin for mediocrity anywhere along the construction food chain.

But absolutely do try some different strings - I like 80/20s on a small box, and maybe bump up the string gauge. Also, if it still has the original micarta saddle, get it out of there asap! With a snug & proper fit, bone or tusq might turn your little beast into a noticeably different animal.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember comments about less than satisfactory sound from those when I first came here, from at least one of the guys who worked in Westerly, no less.
Correct, and his comment was pretty bold: "the general opinion in the factory is that they were crap. i never saw a good one." That comment was about both A-25 and A-50 flattops. But others had a very good opinion, see this for instance: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...e-A25-or-A50&p=1328741&viewfull=1#post1328741

Ralf