Blues 90 or Custome Shop M-70?

matsickma

Reaction score
If you think you could have $ for another guitar in the future get the M70 because they are hard to find and a Blues 90 come up for sale pretty regularly.

However the tone of the M70 is not your mainstream tone so will have less practical use. Its a great guitar but the Dearmond pickups are clean and bright but may not offer the sound you want everyday.

On the other hand a Blues90 has the tone and growl of a P90 pickup with extra grown/ distortion out of the bridge P90. If the stock bridge P90 is a little too nasty for your playing or music style you can easily change the pickup. The M70 pickup mounts are more limited in pickup options.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Personally I'd choose the BlueBird-90. The Blues-90s leave me cold, though I love that green finish. I wish they did it on a Bluesbird-90.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
of the 2 u listed id take that M-70 for a whirl. If I got a Bluesbird I would just get the regular duncan humbuckers. if I wanted a P-90-ish solid body Guild id look for a Hoboken S-50 Jetstar with the chrome (or white) soap bar/single coil/“frequency tested” pickup- I own 2 of those (and 2 Gibson Les Paul Jrs- the dog ear P-90s)

matsickma

Reaction score
As a clairification the Blues90 and Bluesbird90 have a lot of similarity. The Blues90 is a Westerly made guitar and the Bluesbird90 is Corona made. The Blues90 has a slightly deeper body than the Bluesbird90, both have nice chunky necks but the Blues90 has a plain neck with dot fret markers and no neck binding where as the Bluesbird90 has neck binding and block fret markers. Both have similar pickups.

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Interestingly their is a Guild M90 that has a body like an M70 but it is more plain without body binding and it has the "soap bar" style P90's. Not to many of those around and they are hard to find up for sale.
M