Which Would You? 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or Guild 2014 CE-100D

PittPastor

Reaction score
I stuck this question at the bottom of another thread. But it belongs in this forum, so I'll ask it here.

All things being equal... as in, suppose you owned one of them and the other was offered to you in a straight up trade... which would you rather have?

a 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or a Guild 2014 CE-100D? (and why...?)

I might have a chance to make that decision, and I was wondering what the consensus is. (It won't be a straight up trade, of course, but hopefully within a reasonable transaction fee...)

Pictures of the CE-100D:

rzDCTJh.png

2dBVJfg.png

MwJhgKL.png

And of the Savoy:

qtEOu3R.jpg

QxtS3yC.jpg

1nMqRVv.jpg

PittPastor

Reaction score
W-e-e-l-l....I'd have to say I couldn't answer that without having each one in my lap for a few minutes to test "playing feel".
Those being equal I'd have to consider what I was most likely to do with it, but my suspicion is that I'd wind up trying to like the CE-100 more, as a structural relative of the Starfire and probably a little louder in unplugged mode.

Do you mean the CE-100D would be louder unplugged than the Savoy? Or the Starfire?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those two guitars are really very different. What do you want the guitar to do for you?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The A-150 would be better if you don't need (or want) to be plugged into an amp all the time. The CE-100D may be more versatile, if you want (need) to play more than jazz. As has been said, what types of music do you plan to play on it. and where?

dbirchett

Reaction score
I would rather have the CE-100D but that's not the question you should be asking.

You have one of these already. In what way would the other one be better for the style of music you are either playing or want to play? What about the other guitar makes you want to consider the trade?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the CE-100D would be louder unplugged than the Savoy? Or the Starfire?

Actually I screwed up there.
Like Chris said, the A150 would probably be louder than the CE100 unplugged, but I'd probably be more attracted to the broader versatility of the CE100

PittPastor

Reaction score
The A-150 would be better if you don't need (or want) to be plugged into an amp all the time. The CE-100D may be more versatile, if you want (need) to play more than jazz. As has been said, what types of music do you plan to play on it. and where?

The funny thing is that I thought I would play the Savoy unplugged and plugged, but I rarely play it unplugged. It sounds pretty good, all things considered, unplugged, but I just reach for the D40C if I want acoustic. The 9.5" neck radius makes it not as fun to play most things I do, TBH. The Savoy is great, tho, in the small band I play in because it is a unique sound. We have an acoustic guy (plays a dread) and an electric rhythm guy. My D40C was getting lost. The Savoy always seems to find a place to be heard -- if that makes sense?

I would rather have the CE-100D but that's not the question you should be asking.
You have one of these already. In what way would the other one be better for the style of music you are either playing or want to play? What about the other guitar makes you want to consider the trade?

AS I mentioned above, the Savoy is great because it has its own voice. But it also has some limitations. It sounds -- hmmm thin is a bad term -- but lets say "focused." Which is fine most of the time. But last Sunday my Rhythm electric guitar guy, and acoustic guitar guy couldn't make it, and it was me, the bass player, and a drummer for church. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight! Now, fortunately, most of the set was slow "worship" music, so I could finger-pick and it wasn't too bad. But there was one song that we simply had to drop because the Savoy couldn't fill the space needed. IDK if that makes sense...?

I don't play lead guitar. I never will. But I do finger-pick, and strum, and sometimes if I need the width in the sound, I would like to add it. I also want to have clear as a bell when I want it. And, clean Jazz every now and then... So, you know, basically I want everything.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't play lead guitar. I never will. But I do finger-pick, and strum, and sometimes if I need the width in the sound, I would like to add it. I also want to have clear as a bell when I want it. And, clean Jazz every now and then... So, you know, basically I want everything.
Then you want the CE100D.
Especially that 77th 007 model.
:highly_amused:

matsickma

Reaction score
I love the way the A150 sounds wuth drop D tuning on the low and high E string in acoustic or electric mode. Would like to add a Fishman acoustic pickup to it someday.

However the CE100 is a more flexible sounding guitar overall. I am not crazy about the mini "anti hum" pickups on full hollow guitars. The CE100 is a great platform for Franz, full size humbuckers and Dearmond pickups.

M

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
I stuck this question at the bottom of another thread. But it belongs in this forum, so I'll ask it here.

All things being equal... as in, suppose you owned one of them and the other was offered to you in a straight up trade... which would you rather have?

a 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or a Guild 2014 CE-100D? (and why...?)

I might have a chance to make that decision, and I was wondering what the consensus is. (It won't be a straight up trade, of course, but hopefully within a reasonable transaction fee...)

Pictures of the CE-100D:

rzDCTJh.png

2dBVJfg.png

MwJhgKL.png

And of the Savoy:

qtEOu3R.jpg

QxtS3yC.jpg

1nMqRVv.jpg

It seems to me you want the CE-100. The Savoy has cool in spades, but does seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Two pickups with volume and tone will give you a lot of versatility that's lacking with the Rhythm Chief.
Me, the CE-100 doesn't seem different enough from my modded Gretsch, so myself I'd probably keep the Savoy because it's so much different than anything I have currently. It might also inspire me to take Jazz a little more seriously, which is something I'm terrible at. It just depends on what you need.

DThomasC

Reaction score
I would like it to make me magically sound like Mark Knopfler, of course... (Playing. Not singing...)

I understand that you were joking about sounding like Mark Knopfler, but you do understand that most of the recordings that are instantly recognizable as Knopfler were played on a Stratocaster, right? The CE-100D and A-150 are different from each other, but the Strat comes from a completely different deck of cards.

PittPastor

Reaction score
It seems to me you want the CE-100. The Savoy has cool in spades, but does seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Two pickups with volume and tone will give you a lot of versatility that's lacking with the Rhythm Chief.
Me, the CE-100 doesn't seem different enough from my modded Gretsch, so myself I'd probably keep the Savoy because it's so much different than anything I have currently. It might also inspire me to take Jazz a little more seriously, which is something I'm terrible at. It just depends on what you need.

I am still a bit on the fence. Hope to get to GC this weekend and at least try out the CE-100.

Most of the music I do is living room stuff, and for most of that all I need is an acoustic. The main purpose I have for the Savoy is to have a guitar that stands out in the mix of a Bass, an Electric Acoustic (Godin Multiac with steel strings) and a Electric Rhythm guitar -- which I think is a telecaster knockoff.)

When I amped my Guild D40C it just sort of got lost (at best) and muddied the mix at worst. Especially since I play bare-fingered. The Savoy has a unique sound, and I love that. Bringing it through the Archer IKON gives me all of the volume I need, and I can even dial in a little edge with the gain boost. I have no complaints with the Savoy. It's gorgeous, and is clear as a crystal bell.

That said, I've discovered that when I don't have all of the other guys playing, (especially when the electric rhythm guy isn't there) my Savoy seems a little thin by itself. In a perfect world, I'd just buy both. But I promised my wife I would stop with the collection for now. So, adding one means sacrificing one. The Savoy seems the best bet. My thinking is the CE-100D would be more versatile, and give me basically what the Savoy does when the full band is there, plus the ability to thicken the sound when some of the players are missing.

But I won't know that until I play it. From the specs, the neck, nut width, fret size and radius -- it all seems to be pretty much the same as the Savoy. Looks bigger in the bout and it is probably heavier (something I'm not looking forward to because the Savoy is pretty darn heavy compared to my D40C) But, I think playing it won't be much different. We'll see I guess.

Hey, a question for you since you have the Gretsch which is similar... when I get to GC and have a choice of amps to plug into, what would you choose? Also, the stock strings on the CE-100D are D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound, Mediums: 11-49. What do you put on your Gretsch?

PittPastor

Reaction score
I understand that you were joking about sounding like Mark Knopfler, but you do understand that most of the recordings that are instantly recognizable as Knopfler were played on a Stratocaster, right? The CE-100D and A-150 are different from each other, but the Strat comes from a completely different deck of cards.

Right. I was mainly joking.

To be fair, post Dire Straits, MK is more eclectic (even at the end of DS he was already playing a Les Paul). He seems to really like his Pensa blue, for example. But yeah, some of his stuff is definitely strat all the way.

But if I could take one thing from MK, it wouldn't be his tone, it would be his phrasing. It's not the notes he plays, it's the time between them that shows the genius, IMHO.

Play that on any setup and it would still be great.

He's not C.G.P. for nuthin...