Questions about the Guild F-30

jedzep

Reaction score
Thanks, boys! Thought I was done gassing but I miss the Guild tone. Every so often I plug in Vintage Guild F30 and see what comes back, so I figure this one 'found' me. The seller was difficult to communicate with and not sure he could assess as specifically as I needed...and then there's the 'small cleated cracks' photo that looks like a case of leprosy. Cosmetics don't usually concern me, and as long as there isn't an immediate need for the dreaded neck job I'm in golden time. He assured me the neck was kosher and there's less than an eighth inch string height at 10. I can live with that. Absentmindedly, I forgot to ask about nut width.

Scheduling some overtime at work. Gulp!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Absentmindedly, I forgot to ask about nut width.

Jed, hate to rain on your parade but I'm thinking you're gonna see a shortscle with a 1-5/8 nut as Chris described in post # 2 of this thread.
Also, the thing that leaped out at me was the "satin" finish description.
NEVER heard of satin finish in Hoboken that I recall, I think it was all NCL gloss all the time.
Think maybe it might have been scuffed out to hide that "Andy" the seller mentions.
But let's hope it's just a cosmetic thing since you mentioned being ok with that.
And congrats!.
Pics when arrives, ok?

jedzep

Reaction score
Like toned down finishes so if it was maybe wet sanded down at some point I'll be OK. I think I can manage the 'almost' inch and 3/4 nut width too. I'm hoping the sound will wash away all the petty imperfections, although that bridge looks like it could be a modern Guild Indian RW replacement. I'll have to get over that bit of disappointment if true.

I still startle myself when I wake up and realize I've bought yet another freekin' guitar.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Lots of great info here, realizing how knowledgeable you guys are.

I'm back! With trepidation...I await my 'newest' Guild. A bucket-lister Hobo. '63 I think.....

Major congrats jedzep! I was admiring that one. That spruce top is killer. I hate to use the "m-j-" word but damn, that one has it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
although that bridge looks like it could be a modern Guild Indian RW replacement. I'll have to get over that bit of disappointment if true.
Think you might be right, '63 should have a "through saddle":

27662U_02__50804.1404928555.jpg

Can't tell for sure but it does look like a "drop in" in the Reverb listing.

jedzep

Reaction score
I'm overjoyed at the aforementioned F30 I almost passed on, despite the cosmetic issues. It still has EZ playability and stellar tone despite the marginal saddle height, with new T-Infeld Spectrum 13's tuned down D-D. Eh, maybe a neck reset down the road, but just fine for now. Inch and 3/4 nut too. Go fig. How did that happen. 24445 on the back of the peghead.

It turns out the bridge is original BRW, matching in color to the hardly worn fingerboard, so no one was digging in with unclipped nails, but I'm always amazed at the abuse old tops take, from hard strumming to digs, dings and scratches. You may be able to see the name Andy scratched in at the upper bass side shoulder, and it looks like someone may have pressed or flogged the top with a fine necklace chain link. I can't figure out what was rolled over it, nevertheless it's one of the finest sounding spruce top guitars I've ever owned, side by side with very old Martins and Gibsons.

I ask a lot of questions when I buy on sites like Reverb and Ebay to protect myself if a third party needs to decide on a complaint or return, but I almost blew this one. I was going back and forth with the seller and somehow convinced him this was the best guitar he owned, so he pulled it off Ebay and tucked it back into his collection. Late that night I dropped him a line saying I was going to buy just before he pulled the plug and next day he told me it was back on the block. I tugged on the line and hooked the fish.

Don't know if I can feed you a pic, but here goes. Again, the magic shines on my search for fine old acoustics. Now...6 mos to pay interest free. Anyone wanna' buy a kidney?

LsG6PDG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/f1jswTc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PpBCotw.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice, jedzep!

I would have bought your kidney about 8 years ago...

walrus

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread may be a bad idea considering it'll probably dredge up responses to the old posts, but I didn't think this question merited a new post:
I'm cleaning out some old gear (partially because I have too much and partially because of an expensive weightlifting-related surgery I'm recovering from), and was going to post this on the for sale section of the site and, honestly, I have no idea what it's worth at this point. I think I paid a little over $600, not including setup and repairs, but I don't see them come up much online anymore (not to mention my quest for a 60s model over the last couple years has gotten tremendously difficult).
Anyone know what a fair price might be, either for the public or for local ~Guild Forum Elites~ on this thing?

geoguy

Reaction score
Sold listings on ebay or Reverb might provide a good reality check on recent prices.

jedzep

Reaction score
Hey JK, did you mean to show us a guitar in your comment? Not sure what you're referring too.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Resurrecting this thread may be a bad idea considering it'll probably dredge up responses to the old posts, but I didn't think this question merited a new post:
I'm cleaning out some old gear (partially because I have too much and partially because of an expensive weightlifting-related surgery I'm recovering from), and was going to post this on the for sale section of the site and, honestly, I have no idea what it's worth at this point. I think I paid a little over $600, not including setup and repairs, but I don't see them come up much online anymore (not to mention my quest for a 60s model over the last couple years has gotten tremendously difficult).
Anyone know what a fair price might be, either for the public or for local ~Guild Forum Elites~ on this thing?
We’ll need a year as well as pics of the condition to offer any advice. Just a little info.

[J.K.]

Reaction score
Sold listings on ebay or Reverb might provide a good reality check on recent prices.
I forgot that was a thing. I'm used to using the "price guide" on there, which is nigh useless.
The "sold" listings seem to show similar guitars going from $900-1500, which doesn't seem right to me. I take it that it doesn't reflect the accepted offers for which the guitar was actually sold?

Hey JK, did you mean to show us a guitar in your comment? Not sure what you're referring too.
We’ll need a year as well as pics of the condition to offer any advice. Just a little info.
Yeah, sorry, I assumed people would infer that I was referring to the 1972 guitar I posted about for the first post of this thread. My bad.
It's a 72 F-30, good condition, two cracks repaired, neck reset, saddle and nut adjusted.

tim foster

Reaction score
Barring seeing a photo of your guitar, does it have a serial number on the backside of the headstock or on the label inside? That would help us date the guitar. My 72 and 73 F30 both have the so called "mini jumbo" shaped body vs the Martin style OM shape. Also, both have the deeper body that you describe.

Tommy

tim foster

Reaction score
Hi Tommy I have just bought a 1973 Guild F50 Blonde or so I thought because the label seems to say F30 ? The guitar measures 17 inches from top to bottom and it has a curved back.
How do I discover if it is a F30 or F50?
Serial Number 82934

tim foster

Reaction score
Hi Tommy I have just bought a 1973 Guild F50 Blonde or so I thought because the label seems to say F30 ? The guitar measures 17 inches from top to bottom and it has a curved back.
How do I discover if it is a F30 or F50?
Serial Number 82934

Attachments

• 49D55A57-AC5F-4178-8964-1D197D7CF477.jpeg
    49D55A57-AC5F-4178-8964-1D197D7CF477.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 55

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
In your pic enlarged that looks like a '5' especially compared with the obvious '3' in the line below.
Hans could likely answer your question if he sees this...or someone else might if you posted more pics of the actual guitar.

Edit...I see you posted this same question in a different thread and got your answer.

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi all! I know this is an old thread but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Just picked up a F-30-NT and of course the serial # doesn't quite fit into the chart on the Guild site. I'm pretty confident that it's a mid-60s guitar, but any more information would be great.

Attachments

• PXL_20231103_221557919.jpg
    PXL_20231103_221557919.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20231103_221643554.jpg
    PXL_20231103_221643554.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20231103_221609489.jpg
    PXL_20231103_221609489.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20231103_221634036.jpg
    PXL_20231103_221634036.jpg