Questions about the Guild F-30

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
S/N 43181 should be a '69.
https://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

What happened was Guild changed the s/n system IN '69, and that pure numeric system kicked in without any reference to the first numbers used, in the charts.

When you drop down to '70, you see the first number shown for '70 is 46696. "43181" which precedes it, was issued in that undocumented part of '69, before they made a record of the first number in '70.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I know this is an old thread but thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Just picked up a F-30-NT and of course the serial # doesn't quite fit into the chart on the Guild site. I'm pretty confident that it's a mid-60s guitar, but any more information would be great.
https://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

What happened was Guild changed the s/n system IN '69, and that pure numeric system kicked in without any reference to the first numbers used, in the charts.

When you drop down to '70, you see the first number shown for '70 is 46696. "43181" which precedes it, was issued in that undocumented part of '69, before they made a record of the first number in '70.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

No, you're mixing up different stories from different periods! That particular F-30, with serial number 43181, was completed during the year 1965.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

bobouz

Reaction score
Get that truss rod cover turned around quick, before we have to initiate an emergency swat-team intervention!

Reactions: F30

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks Hans, I thought it was a bit earlier than '69 and appreciate the confirmation!

Scott
Got thrown off by the 6 digits, when it looked like the '65's got 4-digit numbers. Not sure where I got mixed up, thought I finally had it right between the 3 ( 2 for the mid '60's plus the '70-'79) charts. :(.

Thanks @hansmoust for making sure you got the correct info!

Reaction score
Guild Total
Got thrown off by the 6 digits, when it looked like the '65's got 4-digit numbers. Not sure where I got mixed up, thought I finally had it right between the 3 ( 2 for the mid '60's plus the '70-'79) charts. :(.

Thanks @hansmoust for making sure you got the correct info!
Also appreciate your input adorshki! We're just loving our guitars and working it out here!

Scott

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm fortunate enough to have found a great luthier here in the Santa Barbara area who made the needed repairs to this great find. Sounds like the somewhat normal issues for these vintage F-30s - a cracked top near the pick guard and the headstock overlay beginning to peel. He also reinforced the bridge and glued a small crack in the neck. Plays well, just wish my minimal talent could do it justice!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also appreciate your input adorshki! We're just loving our guitars and working it out here!

Scott
Thanks. There're a couple of those "concepts" it took me several passes to get the "details" right.

Note I said "should be" as I remembered there was something tricky about those charts.

Hans has detailed it before but I'm having a hard time coming up with a search delimiter that'll give good results for his original explanation.

As memory percolated, something about those 6-digit numeric s/n's having been used for various specials and prototypes comes to mind, and then the new '70 system taking over from there? But something's missing.

In fact it might be in my Guild Guitar Book and I never really paid attention. (And i got used to posting without having it handy, but no more.)
Yep. Page 47, although It's still confusing to me.

Apparently though there was something "one-off" about your guitar to get one of those 6-digit numbers in '65.

@Hans : Did I get that right? Thanks.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks. There're a couple of those "concepts" it took me several passes to get the "details" right.

Note I said "should be" as I remembered there was something tricky about those charts.

Hans has detailed it before but I'm having a hard time coming up with a search delimiter that'll give good results for his original explanation.

As memory percolated, something about those 6-digit numeric s/n's having been used for various specials and prototypes comes to mind, and then the new '70 system taking over from there? But something's missing.

In fact it might be in my Guild Guitar Book and I never really paid attention. (And i got used to posting without having it handy, but no more.)
Yep. Page 47, although It's still confusing to me.

Apparently though there was something "one-off" about your guitar to get one of those 6-digit numbers in '65.

@Hans : Did I get that right? Thanks.
No, we're talking about 5-digit serial numbers; the 6-digit serial numbers start during the year 1974.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great Thread on the F30 and its' variants. This is an exceptionally balanced wonderful guitar in its many forms.
Always great to hear about another happy owner. Enjoy!