Do all "Strat" guitars sound roughly the same ?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was only a pawn in their game - and after few years got out of it. But being recording engineer was my youth dream - and despite the fact, that few % of the jobs were "YACCHH" and like wise few % was "Yippee" and rest was more or less just setting up the mikes and roll the tape - there were oodles of nice people to work with. I learned quite a lot - about many things beside my work, too.

Oh, I think the story about you in recording industry in 70s is awesome. my question was about why did they want the ABBA sound? :)

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, I think the story about you in recording industry in 70s is awesome. my question was about why did they want the ABBA sound? :)

Well - some folks like Motown - some Tijuana Brass - some Elvis - some Polka , whining cowboys, "when I woke up this morning", big band, rock, tango - when you run commercial studio, you do not ask their taste, but if they have the money.

Why ABBA ? - Why not ? Those days they were HUGE - and we did not have our own Stevie Wonder here ( still not . . .) punk, rockabilly & disco was still to come.

Most of the time it was regular dance-music of the period - nothing fancy, but sometimes catchy songs with mostly nice musicians.

And then one time there was this little old lady - Malvina Reynolds - she recorded some stuff - what a steel mama - she laid down on couch for a while, sipped her orange juice, got up wit "Okay guys - next song!" And she was not exactly asking . . .

Fun memories.

Those days drums were not supposed to sound like drums - more like empty suitcases played with leather gloves. Each time has it´s own sound. Like it or not.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Estimates of ABBA's total record sales vary between about 200–500 million albums and singles worldwide,[2][3] making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time"
Forgive my butt-inski, but considering how many records they were selling, you really have to ask?
It's called the music industry for a reason.....
:friendly_wink:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Well -

And then one time there was this little old lady - Malvina Reynolds - she recorded some stuff - what a steel mama - she laid down on couch for a while, sipped her orange juice, got up wit "Okay guys - next song!" And she was not exactly asking . . .

Fun memories.

So, did she record 'little boxes' with you?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, did she record 'little boxes' with you?

Oh no - not that - this was in winter 1976/7 - she made album "West Coast Woman" - record company was finnish Love Records. Catalogue # LRLP215.

I was assistant engineer - Paul Jyrälä was master engineer.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
So there - Tilt Billings and the Student Prince . . .

Ah! "Ice Water"... one of my favorite Leo Kottke albums with songs like "Long Way Home", "Pamela Brown", "Tell Me Why" and "Tilt Billings". It is an unusual album for Kottke, because he is playing with a backup band. But it works on this recording! The Bass player and Drummer are really locked into Kottke's style of playing with it's angular rhythms and abrupt chord changes. In particular, I like the way the drums are miked and mixed. They add a wonderful texture to Kottke's six and twelve string guitars.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Time to update Malvina Reynolds information. After writing last post I started checking facts and calling around. Seems I made a mistake. Here comes the truth.

- On post # 25 I wrote "West Coast Woman" - record company was finnish Love Records. Catalogue # LRLP215.

- Truth is : Love Records just published an album that was previously published in USA

So then I found some finnish TV-archive material of that time - she had concert here that time - with finnish musicians backing. And I started to think - what if they were only rehearsin for that concert - and using the studio while Love Records bought studio time by weeks at time - so maybe it was their free time.

But I reached a guitar player - Antero Jakoila - who was there - and he recalled that purpose was to make an album - but he never heard of it afterwards either. He has been very busy those years and naturally got paid for the time he was in studio - and the royalties come twice a year in a bunch - so unless one looks for something, it may just add to the account unnoticed.

Then I contacted someone who forwarded me to Malvinas daughter Nancy Schimmel, who informed me, that some of those tracks were put on the album "Mama Lion" that was published after Malvinas death.

Info of that album is here -
https://www.discogs.com/Malvina-Reynolds-Mama-Lion/release/4143117

These persons are finnish
- Antero Jakoila
- Nono Söderberg
- Kim Kuusi

Naturally there were others, too, but credit list fails to recognize them.

Pappa Jyrälä as recording engineer should be mentioned - my name as assistant was seldom mentioned. Only on albums where I did major part of the job.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0433397/

Now I got it out of my chest - so I and you know I was not just making it up.

Time to grab a beer.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
I see that Steve Goodman and Jethro Burns played as well on that album.

Thank you for taking the time to do all that research...enjoy your beer!

Last edited: