Flame

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nightbird-LesPaul.jpg

Nightbird GG, 2018 Les Paul Historic R9, Nightbird II.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Outstandingly "purty". I am thinking every 'Paul want to grow up to be a beautiful burst Guild.......

kakerlak

Reaction score
Does that R9 have one of those bad fretboards with the feathered/splintery grain?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
2zyv6uf.jpg

From the first hit. Yikes. No - my fretboard doesn't look anything like that.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a macro shot of my fretboard:

2018-LesPaul-R9_Fretboard.jpg

Thanks for giving me something to stress about for the past few minutes, though. :disgust:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is that first picture some sort of joke, Gary? I mean, aside from the weird fretboard, did they bind *over* the fret ends? WTF?

kakerlak

Reaction score
Here's a macro shot of my fretboard:

2018-LesPaul-R9_Fretboard.jpg

Thanks for giving me something to stress about for the past few minutes, though. :disgust:

HaHa! Yeah, I saw its mottled-ness in the original photo and wondered if it was one of the bad ones. Good looking piece of rosewood! There seems to be a real rash of those weird, flaky ones on Gibsons the last 5 or so years and it seems total hit-or-miss which ones end up that way, all the way up through the Historic range. One of these days I'll sell off some stuff and track down a good "cheap" R7, R8 or BB7.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is that first picture some sort of joke, Gary? I mean, aside from the weird fretboard, did they bind *over* the fret ends? WTF?

Les Pauls have "nibs" over the fret ends. You can see them in my pic, too, though the ones in that original pic are pretty extreme. I think that guitar is a Standard while mine is a Custom Shop Historic.

I think nibs are stupid, but so long as they don't get in my way they don't bother me from a playability standpoint and they're sort of part of the Les Paul vibe. They can be a problem when refretting, so if you get a real Les Paul watch out for who does the fret work. I've talked to people who have had them filed off because they hate them and I've seen them filed off for a refret. The historic nibs don't bother me much because they're small and out of the way, but big ugly ones like this suck:

P1000655.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nibs, huh? That is just too weird. But, hey, what do I know? If they do it on LPs, can't be too bizarre! :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a Gibson ES-339 for about a week - bought at Guitar Center, so easy return. Love the size and feel of the guitar, but those "nibs" drove me crazy! I kept sliding off the high E string off the edge.

If anyone cares, here's a great article about them, how they are made, etc., and why they are not as popular as Gibson hoped:

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/the-great-big-gibson-fret-nib-debate

walrus

Hobbesickles

Reaction score
Guild Total
HaHa! Yeah, I saw its mottled-ness in the original photo and wondered if it was one of the bad ones. Good looking piece of rosewood! There seems to be a real rash of those weird, flaky ones on Gibsons the last 5 or so years and it seems total hit-or-miss which ones end up that way, all the way up through the Historic range. One of these days I'll sell off some stuff and track down a good "cheap" R7, R8 or BB7.

Kakerlak,

I saw a nice looking '05 R8 on the Dallas Craigslist for $2500 with all case candy and CoA. Pickups were changed though.