Pickups in 1998 Starfire IV

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I got the Starfire IV from Sam Ash Richmond Va. On Reverb.com. It came set up with new strings ready to play. Every guitar I've bought with the exception of this, the Gibson L5 and my Guild Artist Award I have tweaked a little better action and playability from. These 3 are perfect as is. My question is about the pickups. This guitar came with a hang tag that says it has Guild HB-1 in it. Is that right from 1998? Makes no difference other than knowing because whatever they are they are great. I do have an X170 that is supposed to have Fender PU. I like them fine too. Not going to change a thing. I did put in a new pro line 1/4 Jack. I was getting cracks and pops. On the Starfire that is.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got the Starfire IV from Sam Ash Richmond Va. On Reverb.com. It came set up with new strings ready to play. Every guitar I've bought with the exception of this, the Gibson L5 and my Guild Artist Award I have tweaked a little better action and playability from. These 3 are perfect as is. My question is about the pickups. This guitar came with a hang tag that says it has Guild HB-1 in it. Is that right from 1998? Makes no difference other than knowing because whatever they are they are great. I do have an X170 that is supposed to have Fender PU. I like them fine too. Not going to change a thing. I did put in a new pro line 1/4 Jack. I was getting cracks and pops. On the Starfire that is.

Pics prove all, but a '98 should have SD1s in it. It's easy to think otherwise because they look just like HB1s, but the last Starfire I've seen with HB1s was a '94.

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I just looked I have the nl sticker and a soldering job looks like it was dropped in by an air strike.They do say Guild made in USA. But no date. Thanks Chris for the link to Gads article. Thanks Gad for the knowledge.