Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Top: It's Gold

I have three Goldtops

First is a 2008 Joe Bonamassa Limited Edition Les Paul I bought from a friend a while ago. Unfortunately he had Joe sign the pickguard, which I don't like. Will probably get one made at some time. The standard pickguards for R7s don't fit.

This is my 2006 1956 Reissue

Finally my 2004 1957 Reissue

The R6 gets the most plays

Blog Entries
    My college roommate was a seriously better bassist than I was so he played in the band that got most of the campus gigs. But he let me be road crew. The guitarist had a gold top Les Paul. He spent way too much time apologizing because it was a '60's (or was it 70's?) issue and not one of the iconic instruments from the '50's.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    My college roommate was a seriously better bassist than I was so he played in the band that got most of the campus gigs. But he let me be road crew. The guitarist had a gold top Les Paul. He spent way too much time apologizing because it was a '60's (or was it 70's?) issue and not one of the iconic instruments from the '50's.
    They stopped making Les Pauls in 1960 if memory serves, and what we know as the SG became the Les Paul signature model until I think 1968 when the Les Paul we all know came back. I could have those dates off - I'm not as sharp on old Gibsons.

The '68s are pretty darn cool. They look a lot like the 1956 models but with the newer knobs (which I dislike):

In late '69 the "Norlin Era" officially began, though things changed in '66 when Ted resigned (so say the Internet forums). The '70s put them firmly into the Norlin era and the '72 Les Paul Deluxe with its mini hums had changed a fair bit from the originals. Purists would look at that and say "Ugh - that's no '59!" Remember, though, that in 1972 a '59 burst would have only been 12 years old and while there weren't many of them made, they were nowhere near commanding the ridiculous prices that they did at the height of the guitar collector craze.

The whole "products sucked in the '70s" thing is hard to escape and Gibson was doing things like using laminated bodies and cutting costs in other ways because it was the '70s.

Of course, Ace Frehley was playing a Les Paul Custom and '70s Customs weighed about 14 pounds. Just look at the way he's holding it on this magazine cover. It wouldn't surprise me if he added that third pickup in an effort to do some weight relief! I look at that pic and imagine a 3-hour long photo shoot with Ace's body language just screaming, "PLEASE just let this be over so I can put this freaking thing down."

1970s: [ S70 | S300AD ]
    1980s: [ X79 | X79-3 | 2x X80 | X100 | S270 | S281 | S284 | BHM1 ]
    1980s: [ S300AD | X82 | Detonator | Liberator Elite | NB | SF4 | D46 ]
    1990s: [ 2x S100 | 2x X170| SB602F | SF4,5 | BB | NB DX | X3000 | DV72 | BM01 ]
    2000s: [ SF3,4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    2010s:
    [ 3x T-Bird ]
    Amps: [ Yes ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

If I recall, the first LP reissue, the ‘68, had a one piece body (with maple cap), one piece neck, mini HB’s, and small headstock.
    The ‘69, which I have, is same body & PU’s, a 3 piece neck, and a larger headstock. In ‘70, they went to the ‘pancake’ body with 3 layers of wood. It was all downhill from there for a while.
    Shihan= Dennis