1978 Guild D-40

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to pick up a '78 Guild D-40 tomorrow. It looks to be in nice shape with original case (case handle replaced). A small knick on the surface finish. He's asking $1000f or it which I think is pretty good for a Westerly all-solid wood dreadnought made in the USA.

Demo: https://soundcloud.com/kingsound87/guild-d-40-demo

Demo#2 - Oxnard Guild Theme: https://soundcloud.com/kingsound87/oxnard-guild-theme

wa3xBCs.jpg

aEwQRnW.jpg

TfnxpfN.jpg

UPrxjX2.jpg

X5Tyy3A.jpg

j0TK629.jpg

4XnbMTB.jpg

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
It's getting harder & harder to find clean examples from the '70s.

I've seen D-40s go for less, but not in that condition!

Congrats & Enjoy !!!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sitka:
Never seen a bad D40-maybe some a little better than others. A guitar that you will, certainly, enjoy IMO. An old "Warrior" for Guild and you will always be proud to unlatch that original case and play.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Looks great...just flip that TRC as soon as you get it. :friendly_wink:
Joe

Man it's not enough that we see people driving up the market by flipping guitars, now you want 'em to flip the TRC's?!?!?
:biggrin-new:
Congrats sitka, great looking top on that thing, makes me want to see some cleaner close ups!
Bet it's silky as h-ll.
:friendly_wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, that really does look to be in wonderful shape except for that gash in the lower bout. I think that's a reasonable price for such a clean version.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, that really does look to be in wonderful shape except for that gash in the lower bout. I think that's a reasonable price for such a clean version.

and if it turns out you over spent by 100-200 bucks? it wont matter after years of enjoyment.

sitka.bc

Reaction score
He's the original owner. The only mod was swapping out the nut to Tusq way back when.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, very clean! Looks like a well cared for and appreciated guitar. Beautiful grain and patina. The scratch can be minimized by a good luthier if it bothers you. Congrats!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
I won't fix the knicks and scratches. They belong on a 40 year old guitar and add to the mojo. I have to swap the strings to 12's or 13's. How thick are the tops on these and what gauge string do they like the best?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I won't fix the knicks and scratches. They belong on a 40 year old guitar and add to the mojo. I have to swap the strings to 12's or 13's. How thick are the tops on these and what gauge string do they like the best?

a d40 can handle both lights or mediums.

sitka.bc

Reaction score
I love this guitar, just picked it up and spent an hour on it. Very responsive to light flat picking, and you can really strum hard on it and it doesn't break up. When it comes to finger style, it's so well balanced across the strings, almost like a piano. The neck is a thicker profile that feels like my Gibson J-50, but has a very subtle V-point which I like. Frets are clean and it's fast to play yet comfortable to chord on. The tuners are very smooth and accurate. Very happy going with Guild for my second acoustic. The case is also in pretty nice shape. Some pics:

wa3xBCs.jpg

aEwQRnW.jpg

TfnxpfN.jpg

UPrxjX2.jpg

X5Tyy3A.jpg

j0TK629.jpg

4XnbMTB.jpg

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sitka:
It was a good looking guitar in the first set of pictures but it has gone to outright B. U. T. Ful on your couch. You sound well pleased and so happy to have another satisfied Guild owner. Save your money, Guild acoustics ain't finished with you, yet!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Thanks :) I'll make a recording once I swap out the extra light strings for some 12's.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks :) I'll make a recording once I swap out the extra light strings for some 12's.
Hmmmmm.....didn't catch this before but nut's been replaced, and going up a gauge might need some slot work.
Just food for thought, because can't tell what the nut material is.
And was noticing the saddle and pins look awfully white for 40 years old, too, but that could be a good thing.
Also, being the honeymoon and all, you might have missed that she's not a virgin.
Truss rod's been remounted upside down.
:biggrin-new:
But oooh baby I do love those top shots!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Ah good catch! I'll remedy that asap. Also, I asked him about the saddle pins and he said they were all original. I'll see if the 12's fit or not. It's a TUSQ brand, so some sort of hard polymer?