Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Guild D-40

Quote Originally Posted by sitka.bc View Post
    Ah good catch! I'll remedy that asap. Also, I asked him about the saddle pins and he said they were all original. I'll see if the 12's fit or not. It's a TUSQ brand, so some sort of hard polymer?
    Yep, but I think it's supposed to be as workable as bone or micarta, that was my initial concern.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I guess since it was cut for Extra Light strings, opening it up for Lights shouldn't be a problem. How much does it cost/time for a luthier to widen them? I'll try 12s.
    1978 Guild D40-NT
    2007 Gibson J-50 Modern Classic

beautiful D-40, congrats and enjoy! 1978 is the peak of the mountain

I guess since it was cut for Extra Light strings, opening it up for Lights shouldn't be a problem. How much does it cost/time for a luthier to widen them? I'll try 12s.
    Never dealt with it myself, but .012's might be close enough that work's needed Ideally you don't want 'em riding too proud of the slot, like just clearing the top, but the slots do look pretty tight in the pic.
    I think all it really takes is a little work with nut files, but that's a fine art. If you cut a slot too deep I'm guessing that probably ruins the whole nut, with Tusq.
    It occurs to me it might take a few passes, too, as he may want to do a bit a time until it gets just deep enough.
    I wouldn't blink if a guy told me $25.00, knowing it was delicate precision work?
    Other members might have better insight, and "standard rates" vary in different regions.
    Example if I asked for an installed and set-up bone nut here in Silicon Valley I'd expect to hear at least $50.00 from the guy I'd trust to do it right.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Here's a demo, I haven't switched the 11's to 12's

https://soundcloud.com/kingsound87/guild-d-40-demo

This may be totally off, but I've seen somebody open up a nut slot by just taking the wound string of the new gauge and using it to file the slot to size using the string width as the guide. I have no idea if that's even appropriate but just a thought. I won't be doing that FYI!
    Last edited by sitka.bc; 10-13-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    1978 Guild D40-NT

I love this guitar, just picked it up and spent an hour on it. Very responsive to light flat picking, and you can really strum hard on it and it doesn't break up. When it comes to finger style, it's so well balanced across the strings, almost like a piano. The neck is a thicker profile that feels like my Gibson J-50, but has a very subtle V-point which I like. Frets are clean and it's fast to play yet comfortable to chord on. The tuners are very smooth and accurate. Very happy going with Guild for my second acoustic. The case is also in pretty nice shape. Some pics:

OMG those photos are just plain sexy !
    The silking is crazy nuts no pun intended but at the same time the word sexy should be removed from the above sentence!
    Ya know as crazy as I am about silking none of my guilds shine in that area , hmmmmmmm .

Wow, I just had to look up what silking is and now that I look at the guitar in the photos, you see all these medullary rays!!! That's cool :) So does it affect tone or just strength of the top?

Also, any idea where Guild sourced their Sitka spruce and mahogany in the 70s? I think I read an article that the Sitka spruce is from the Pacific Northwest. How about the mahogany and rosewood? The build quality is actually better than my 2007 Gibson J50, and I think that guitar sounds and plays nicely too.

Lastly, the label on the inside, the top edge is starting to peel off. What's the best way to re-affix it?
    Last edited by sitka.bc; 10-13-2018 at 01:02 AM.
    1978 Guild D40-NT

Wow, I just had to look up what silking is and now that I look at the guitar in the photos, you see all these medullary rays!!! That's cool :) So does it affect tone or just strength of the top?

Also, any idea where Guild sourced their Sitka spruce and mahogany in the 70s? I think I read an article that the Sitka spruce is from the Pacific Northwest. How about the mahogany and rosewood? The build quality is actually better than my 2007 Gibson J50, and I think that guitar sounds and plays nicely too.

Lastly, the label on the inside, the top edge is starting to peel off. What's the best way to re-affix it?
    Sorcing is top secret Errrrrr got me lol
    Silking is a and has been a up in air thing tonaly but if you ask me .... it kicks *** and itís visible pleasing though some might take it another level lmao :)
    I like it so you get Ags seal of a proval ! Lol

Really a nice demo, sitka. You do the old D40 proud.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1969 Guild D40 Hoboken label AJ 2940 but Westerly made
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    1984 Guild D46
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2000 Guild JF65 6 String

Here's a demo, I haven't switched the 11's to 12's

Chop-busting aside, great looking and sounding guitar, and some fine playing.
    Last edited by gjmalcyon; 10-13-2018 at 02:09 AM.
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (folks)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '93 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75
    '13 Orpheum 14-Fret RW Dreadnought